Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

oil change scare

Sounds like lot you bought it off of thought they changed the oil but didn't drain it and added another 5 quarts I have seen it about 10 times in the 7 years I have been at the ford dealership. Could have been someone added motor honey or another additive to existing oil to get rid of noise
  2. L

4.6 noise?

Motor is trying to compensate for the lack of compression ( starting misfire monitor) it will set the cel after running for a 30 min drive cycle but not worth the damage to see. Yes cyl 4 is passenger side rear cylinders are 1234 on right hand (passenger) and 5678 on left drivers with 1 and 5...
  3. L

Please Help this idiot...

I would remove the shroud from around the column if it isn't already. The tumble or key switch has a black ring around the outer parameter of where your key tumbler switch would go in this is called a pats transceiver you can look that up to see a picture on Google that is what would need to be...
  4. L

4.6 noise?

And not to rule it out we have seen fly wheels crack and the torque converter spinning around the crank make that noise
  5. L

4.6 noise?

The compression difference of 10% is a concern check engine light will turn on eventually but not before something comes apart. When the intake was pulled did anything fall into the intake hole on cyl 4? that would be the passenger side rear cylinder. Sounds like a rod bearing but could be a...
  6. L

Best method to clean a smoked-in vehicle?

Chlorine dioxide would kill the smell. Just place clorine tablets in cup of water and close all windows and turn off fresh air on a/c control. Let sit 24 hrs. Then remove cup and let air out for 1 hr because I'm sure if you just jumped in it would kill you from lack of oxygen but that's what...
  7. L

Humming while driving 45+ mph

Not anything like your previous set up. The rears are a pain due to knuckle has to be pulled and bearings pressed in and out with a large press. Fronts aren't bad to replace all I can say is raise hell if they don't seem to want to fix it most places have a return policy if not the internet and...
  8. L

No Key Detected

on some models there is a reprogram for the Intelligent key module to help with this issue, but without vin ran through Oasis for tsb's or SSMs it would be hard to say if yours would be one that can be or needed to be reprogramed. battery in remote could be weak. Would have to take it in to...
  9. L

New 2007 V8 owner with a couple questions

I would tighten cold and to hand tight and retest really you could go by the book to tighten but good luck getting torque wrench in there lol
  10. L

2010 Explorer trans hard down shift

There should be a tsb on the issue on the grounds of a reflash PM me your vin and I will run it through fords PTS and oasis to see if I can find a fix
  11. L

New 2007 V8 owner with a couple questions

Would say solenoid vs reflash, I work at a ford dealership and seen the reflash work for maybe 1, but could have been a dream. You don't have a harsh reverse at times? Also would bet on exhaust manifold being cracked by the way that is a motor removal if it is a bolt broke off I did a police...
  12. L

Explorer door handle recall

Not usually. For our dealership parts are usually available overnight. No we don't get paid twice the only thing they try to stock is the stuff we sell everyday but I am concerned on that customers saftey even though it is unlikely to happen. But most dealerships don't have that big of a parts...
  13. L

Leak At Front of Block

Couldn't see your pictures but if it is the 4.0 sohc it will most likely be thermostat housing they are prone to leak I work at ford as a tech and we do see these, and on my 02 sport leak from the bottom of that housing where it doesn't show up at the top very well I thought mine let loose of a...
  14. L

Ringing noise after the vehicle is turned off

Ignition off drain. I would suggest taking it to the dealership. We have seen where a short can cause the PCM to stay awake and that can cause noises of sorts in the engine bay. Does the battery drain down every night? Or after it has sit for a couple days. Or is it intermittent? Not to sure...
  15. L

Diff Fluid Change

Did notice on my explorer it calls for 80w90 unless it has the traction-lock axle then it takes 75w140. But conventional axles take 80w90 so unless you can verify with out a doubt that it takes 75w140 which can be found on a id tag hanging of one of the bolts on the rear diff. I would suggest...
  16. L

Does a bad ball joint make a banging noise?

Check your body mounts under the cab. Mine were bad and made noise and you can definitely feel it under you feet because that's where one of the mounts are
  17. L

Tranny troubles

Jaime yours is the 5r44e/5r55e so basicall y the 5r55e. Did notice some warranty work done on the teams lines at 13446 miles at prestige ford. Back in 1999
  18. L

Diff Fluid Change

I don't know if the stuff in those fluids is like the motorcraft additive the additive is blue and keeps the clutches in the rear axle from slipping. By the way if any one starts to have a chatter or slip starting that friction modifier can be used in transmissions we have used it on several...
  19. L

Diff Fluid Change

Best silicone to use is the stuff from the ford dealership it comes in a tube for the caulking gun it is made for the 7.3 diesels. We use it at the dealership and it is what it used new. Any 75 140 fluid. Do NOT use atf the gears and spiders in your rear axle are built to have that fluid filling...
  20. L

2003 Explorer Issues

Cruise will not work with abs disabled for safety reasons. Repair abs and retest
  21. L

Tranny troubles

Remove pan and inspect fluid. No burnt smell and metal particles maybe OK the trans should have a magnet in the pan that has a black goo on it to help catch metal if this is clean with out the goo I would think someone is trying to cover something. Why don't you have your trans hooked up to a...
  22. L

Please help ID this lower trim piece

The part is called a chassis fairing the 96 explorer xl and xlt have them like that it is odd to see a Eddie Bauer without the side steps some one special ordered that. Most dealer invoiced for the step because uppity people like their steps.
  23. L

2 quick questions

Jack up the front about 1/2 inch off ground and put a pry bar under it and watch the ball joints for any play. The most common issue for a creak noise is sway bar bushings and links. Another thing to look at is the body mounts right under the drivers seat check for rot of the bushing. Check the...
  24. L

dealer oil changes - computerized monitoring?

I work for ford at a dealership and no there is no computer monitoring system for us to use. The dealership uses a electronic oil pump to pump oil from bulk into the car but that is something new and all dealerships are different some use it out of jugs... The vehicle itself is set up with a oil...
Back