Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

WANTED: 2005 LINCOLN AVIATOR, Prefer AWD

Have one now, would like to round up another, preferably AWD, clean title., in good enough shape for daily driver or can be repaired to daily driver. Ideally 2005 model, but might consider 2004 if it was exceptional. Lower miles ideal. Not opposed to a ride with "one big issue" if...
  2. A

14 to 18 MPG @ $4.50 per!! A possible Fix:

Very interesting idea & I'm subscribed to see how it turns out!! Getting a solid 10mpg in town... My only concern would be the age of components. Personal experience with an 05 Aviator suggests anything downriver from a new, super-solid part tends to be next in line for replacement if...
  3. A

The everything Aviator thread.

Not to be Captain Obvious here, but have you checked the fuse box? I think some of those are on the same fuse and/or relay. I have the manual, but at the moment am trying to unclog plumbing that's been an issue for two weeks (at home, my Aviator is nice, but it does not have indoor plumbing...
  4. A

How to: How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

That is, in fact, the best $50 ever spent in the history of automobiles, IMO. Despite the excellent savings, there's a strong chance you missed a prime opportunity to use some extreme profanity, so sorry about that... :) But there's always the transmission... Will be interested in hearing...
  5. A

U-joints/driveshaft - Potentially stupid/not stupid question

Not stupid, but maybe not practical. Turns out the PTSD of the original threadlocker on the bolts in removing the driveshaft was blown out of proportion compared to the serious f'n hassle of trying to pop a u-joint in with the driveshaft mostly in place. Had the u-joint I was replacing...
  6. A

U-joints/driveshaft - Potentially stupid/not stupid question

Hi - was hoping y'all could steer me toward a smart choice here - drop the driveshaft again to replace a theoretically brand new faulty u-joint at rear diff or do it with driveshaft in place? I think I just need to replace the rear one. I wouldn't even ask, but I dumped a half bottle of...
  7. A

AWD vs 4wd V8 Explorer.. Whats better and more reliable

Go lowball the Lincoln! I lurve my Lincoln Aviator, but lurve the 4x4 option just as much, so..? The ride is sublime - drove about 1100 miles in one day (it was a longa$$ed day) and while I was tired, I wasn't beat up from the ride too much either. I haven't owned an Explorer, so can't...
  8. A

Thanks Edwx! The second one wasn't quite as bad, but wasn't the world speed record I'd been hoping for, either... :) There were fewer displays of ineptitude for the neighbors, which was good. Could have gotten the whole thing done two hour earlier if I hadn't had so many neighbors...
  9. A

I found the slide hammer and axle puller to be instrumental: If you need to make the slide hammer "neighbor friendly" for late night hammering, you can wrap the far end in a couple shop towels. This way your neighbors will call in "suspected blunt force trauma" to 911 instead of "suspected...
  10. A

Hey great big THANK YOU (yes, I am definitely shouting it) to everyone who contributed such great info to this thread! The shop manual has about 7 tiny steps detailing the process, none of which offer the wealth of information provided here. The info about the offset 15mm wrench was...
  11. A

The everything Aviator thread.

Just wondered if anyone has found an online resource for Aviator shop manuals? Found a few on eBay for around $50, but I'd rather sink the $50 into the truck if there's a free (and mostly legal) resource to be found anywhere. Appreciate all the good information in this thread. Thanks for...
Back