Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

2002 Rack and Pinion Removal

The job was completed. After removing the cooler I decided to get the oil filter out of the way too. That extra room made all the difference. Unbolting the front bolt on the drivers side lower control arm and using a pry bar helped with getting the rack in and out. Sunday I had the alignment...
  2. N

Removing the power steering cooler was a tremendous help. Thanks to a cut-off wheel I was able to cut the high pressure line where it goes into the pump and the rack. I also cut the outer tie rods off because they were welded to the inner tie roads thanks to corrosion. Removing the drivers side...
  3. N

Thanks for the photos and the prompt response. This is exactly what I needed!
  4. N

Currently I am in the middle of replacing my rack on a 2002 XLT 4.6 4WD. The job also consists of replacing upper control arms and lower ball joints so those items have been removed along with the spindle leaving the tie rods flapping in the wind. I've found lots of discussion for other...
  5. N

2002 Rear Suspension work

The struts have been replaced with minimal hassle. Due to the amount of corrosion on the undercarriage, the removal of hardware proved to be time consuming. Only two of six bolts on top of the strut needed to be cut off; the others either broke or were removed with lots of elbow grease. It has...
  6. N

Thanks for the responses. The reason for asking the question is that I know that there are some things that are worth replacing just because you have something in the same area already apart or while you have this taken apart it is easy to go a little deeper to replace something else. Such as...
  7. N

Long time reader, first time poster. In preparation for the upcoming camping season I want to replace some suspension components to improve the ride, replace worn out part and give my wife some peace of mind that the Explorer isn't going to break down while on a trip. It is a 2002 XLT 4.6...
Back