Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

How to: Timing chain rattle resolution process - SOHC V6

It's been a while for me too. Sad news on this end. With the help of this thread, I was able to replace the cassettes and a bunch of other odds and ends, had to do a valve job while I was at it (about $1000 in parts). The engine ran good for about three months and then something in the lower end...
  2. P

2004 4.0l SOHC misfire, backfire in intake

Apart from the one plug missing the electrode which was sooty, they looked normal.
  3. P

Well, the explorer ran okay until recently. My son was stranded at the side of the road. There was no power when trying to drive it. Checked the oil, low 4 quarts :/. I had it towed to a mechanic and they found an electrode was missing from one of the plugs and compression was low on cyl #3 (I...
  4. P

I would think if the timing was out it would never run good, I got a good smooth run out of it the other day for 30 minutes. I'll check on the truck later but from what she's telling me, its driving good since I gave it back to her Saturday. Maybe the PCM is done learning after resetting it...
  5. P

No, no rain. It's a bit moist here in Michigan but nothing to write home about.
  6. P

It's possible, the previous owner said the cat might be going bad, would this cause the symptoms?
  7. P

I called it a core pack, but yes, the coil pack was replaced with a new one not long ago. I sprayed carb cleaner trying to find a leak, none detected. Would a dirty fuel filter cause this? I don't know when/if it was changed.
  8. P

Hello all. Been dealing with this Explorer for over a year. It started out with failed timing cassettes and bent valves. I repaired all of that and the engine ran well but had a rough idle. Can't find any vacuum leaks. Engine codes were for a misfire on cylinder 5 (it had this issue before the...
  9. P

2004 Explorer timing cassettes replaced, engine just "spins"

I don't have a scanner. These codes were read at my local Autozone. My friend has one but he lives in Canada, only an hour away but I may need to make a trip. He mentioned something to me about the fuel trims too, said he could zero them out? Would something like this cause a misfire?
  10. P

It's been a while since I've posted about this, been busy working on it. Sure enough, valves were bent so I got new ones and installed them. The engine now runs :). It wasn't too bad replacing the valves, getting the springs out is a pain without the right tool. Anyway, the engine has a lot of...
  11. P

I finally used a borescope and all of the pistons have been tagged. Time to consider if replacing the heads is worth it.
  12. P

Not yet, I thought about it though and will probably do that tomorrow.
  13. P

Yeah, I'm new here. I posted it here as well: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2004-explorer-timing-cassettes-replaced-engine-just-spins.448068/#post-3549178
  14. P

I took a video, any way to upload it? I also did a compression test, getting zero compression on all cylinders.
  15. P

It's the 4dr XLS 2 wheel drive, the engine is out of a 4wd.
  16. P

I don't know how to "write" how an engine should sound when starting :) I suppose no load on the starter on each revolution sounds correct.
  17. P

David, thanks, I'll see if I can find a boreoscope. If it turns out that I have bent valves, what am I in for to fix it? I've never done valves before. I never did timing chains before either but I'm mechanically inclined so I can handle it. The engine that's in there is a replacement and cost...
  18. P

Thanks for the reply Koda. This brings up the famous question, "is the 2004 an interference engine"?. Haven't found a straight answer yet. When this engine blew, it made all kinds of racket. My original thought was that it threw a rod. Then I found this forum and pulled the engine to find the...
  19. P

I posted this in the SportTrac section by mistake. Hello everyone. I've been learning and following all the posts to repair the exploded timing cassettes in the Ford 4.0L SOHC. Replaced the left, right, and front cassettes, all were in pieces, and I replaced the tensioners. I got everything...
  20. P

Hello everyone. I've been learning and following all the posts to repair the exploded timing cassettes in the Ford 4.0L SOHC. Replaced the left, right, and front cassettes, all were in pieces, and I replaced the tensioners. I got everything back together (finally after 6 months!). When I turn it...
  21. P

How to: Timing chain rattle resolution process - SOHC V6

The fun begins Hello folks. I've been reading the posts about the timing chain issues for a couple of weeks trying to get my arms around all this. I haven't seen any references to 2004 engines. I have an 04, the engine was sounding horrible and finally quit. I've torn it down and found the...
Back