Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Stock Part No. - Throttle Body Screws

I just snapped one of mine... Go figure. Anyone know what this bolt size or part number is? Hopefully running on 3 for a while won't be an issue.
  2. P

New Member from Pennsylvania, looking for tips. Thanks

I second this. Chased this issue for a few years and finally found out that the "Motorcraft" coils I bought off of Amazon were knock offs. Caused all types of drivability issues including killing 3 different TPS. Was a fun time figuring that one out.
  3. P

New Member from Pennsylvania, looking for tips. Thanks

Should be moved to 4th gen stock
  4. P

2008 6R60 Transmission Fluid Capacity

I think what I'm going to do is buy one of those 1 quart mixing cups and 6 quarts of Mercon SP. Then I'm going to attempt to pump out 6 quarts and then pump in 6 quarts of new Mercon SP. I'm figuring this will be sufficient until I get to my next 50k miles (100k since the last pan drop/filter...
  5. P

This is where it gets confusing. Here's a Motorcraft chart for Ford transmissions and type of fluid to use - https://www.motorcraft.com/content/dam/ford-motorcraft/en_us/motorcraft_global/products/lubricants/quick_reference_charts/automatic%20transmission%20fluids%20chart_english.pdf This PDF...
  6. P

Whoa, that just sent me down a rabbit hole. I had no idea they changed that specification for the transmission fluid. Do you know if it would be OK to mix SP and LV together? Especially if I'm only pumping out whatever is in the reservoir, there's still a bunch of fluid in the system.
  7. P

Hey guys. I've got a 2008 4.6L with the 6R60 transmission. About 50k miles ago I had a shop drop the pan and change the filter/fluid. 50k miles later, I'm now looking to only pump out whatever fluid I can get to from the dipstick hole located under the the vehicle and would like to refill. I...
  8. P

Another P2135 Issue - Sorry

Hey, sorry to hear that you're running into something similar. Definitely is a frustrating experience. For this specific case I believe I replaced my throttle position sensor and that fixed the major issues BUT I think the source of all my frustrations were actually counterfeit Motorcraft coil...
  9. P

Rear Brake Light Wiring Diagram

I just wanted to update this in case someone needs or finds this in the future. I can confirm that the wiring information that Bill provided for a 2006 is correct and matches a 2008. Hooked up my resistors on both sides and all is good! Thank you again, Bill! Left: Black/Gray - Ground...
  10. P

No problem at all, Bill! I appreciate all the information you have provided on this. I'll update the post once I get this installed to confirm. Thank you!
  11. P

Thank you for the info! I believe 2006 should be the same as my 2008. The turn signal wiring you specified (violet with orange stripe), was that for both left and right, do you know? Left I have a gray with brown stripe for some reason.
  12. P

07 Explorer audibly Dripping oil onto exhaust

You confirmed that it was oil and not coolant?
  13. P

Before I get lost

Probably a shot in the dark, especially for an almost 9-year-old thread, but dwmjpalmerjr, would you happen to have the information they supplied you for this?
  14. P

Hey guys, looking for advice on tail light brake wiring. I'm trying to identify the ground and brake/signal wires to install some resistors, but the left and right side wires are different. Left side has: Gray and Black, Blue and White, Gray and Brown Right side has: Black and Green, Blue and...
  15. P

Steering Wheel and Buttons Question

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. As for the videos, I tried searching the ole YouTube but came up short. Found a few for 3rd gens but nothing on the 4th except for some ignition switch/turn signal replacement videos.
  16. P

Steering Wheel and Buttons Question

I have a question for the forum - So my steering wheel comes with the audio, phone, and cruise control buttons, but is missing the fan speed on the left button cluster. Is this as simple as buying a new left cluster with the fan speed button included (plug and play), or is this a more complex...
  17. P

Rust Repair Cost - Does This Seem Correct?

Would love to do that, and probably will eventually, but I'd still have to get this one fixed up. This one is a bit sentimental to me.
  18. P

Yeah, it sounds like it. I've put this same question out to a 4th gen Facebook group and I'm getting a mixed bag of folks saying that the price sounds right and others saying the guys out of his mind. I really have no idea what one should pay for something like this. But yes, it sounds like a...
  19. P

Does anyone know the going rates for rust repair and if the prices I've been quoted seem appropriate? This is for a 2008 4.6L V8 Limited with about 150k miles. I'm also located in Pennsylvania if that matters. Penndot loves to overly salt everything during the winter which I'm sure is the...
  20. P

Center Console latch problem

Time for me to revisit this. I was using the zip tie fix for a while but noticed the latch was sitting crooked but was still latching. Decided to open it up and after some time, the good side finally snapped off along with a piece on the zip tie. I guess after a while, the zip tie plastic gets a...
  21. P

Quick oil filter question

I do the same as you - lube up the gasket, clean the surface, hand tighten and never have any issues. Next time I go to change, I have to break out the oil filter wrench because it's too tight to break loose by hand. I notice mine drips sometimes because I mught fill too much new oil into the...
  22. P

Updating Software

Hi everyone, what are all the software points that can be updated and installed on these 4th gen Explorers? Has anyone updated any of them and have you noticed any differences and/or think it's worth the hour of labor price? I understand you can update Sync to the latest version, but I'd be more...
  23. P

Explorer randomly shuts off while driving

I don't know about your situation, but I have to replace my throttle position sensor like every other year. See my TPS thread here - Throttle Position Sensors - How Often to Replace? TPS Maybe worth throwing another one on to see? If you haven't already done this, I would inspect all the...
  24. P

Throttle Position Sensors - How Often to Replace? TPS

Thank you for your recommendations. Not sure if you know off the top of your heads, but any quick reference on where I can check for proper grounding locations? I can dedicate more time to finding them this weekend, but if you know of any areas for me to look at, I'll take a look when I get home...
  25. P

Throttle Position Sensors - How Often to Replace? TPS

UPDATE - So, it's been a little over a week since I've replaced the TPS with another Motorcraft unit from RockAuto.com. The RPM fluttering has been eliminated... again. The vehicle seems to be much better at accelerating and more responsive. I have no idea why, but it seems like my Explorer...
Back