Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

How long did your Servo Bore "O-Ring Fix" last

Glad to hear you got them out. Yes they can be quite the challenge especially if old and rusty. Best to order the complete servo kit which has new servos with the orings and sleeves installed along with extra orings. Also get the new snap rings and a tube of Sil-Glyde lube for the installation...
  2. C

That’s the hardest part, you just need to keep playing with it. It helps greatly if you have a second set of hands. one person to compress the snap ring and another to get a long slim flat heat screwdriver behind it to pry and pop it out. I have done it by my self but just needs patience and...
  3. C

While reving, if you let off the accelerator does it eventually shift into the next gear? That is also a classic symptom of worn servos.
  4. C

The servos with this issue only deal with shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd, 4th to 5th and 5th. The reverse shift may be just normal delay as long as it’s going in to reverse okay. The fluid change may help that. i would do the servo replacement and see as it sounds like the...
  5. C

These are a couple of tools I used to pull the servos out. Slightly bent Allen wrench with the short end going into the center hole of the servo, and the threaded end of the hook into the servo hole worked well also as it provides some grip on the inside bore.
  6. C

what is the transmission doing while driving? What problems do you have?
  7. C

Sounds like you need the replacement servos
  8. C

No, various other codes can be the same problem. I had a P0735 5th gear solenoid
  9. C

I use the option #1 in the Step by Step directions and it works great as long as you have the needle nose pliers ( the pliers are also available at Harbor Frieght). With option 1 you can disregard the Converter Disassembly and oxygen sensor cables, etc. You will Only need to remove the lower...
  10. C

You will need the right angle needle nose pliers to get the servo snap rings off, and to put them back on the new servos
  11. C

Up to you but there is no need to pull the exhaust for access to the servos, you can work around it just fine
  12. C

Oh and don’t even think of using transman304 suggestions about the freezer And not using the sleeve, it won’t help and most likely will fail. I’ve done a number of these, just follow the directions for success. And make sure you adjust your bands according to directions and change the tranny...
  13. C

It’s a great invention, I had to update my servos at about 75k miles when the tranny started acting up. I’ve got over 50,000 miles on my replacement servos and still no problems, the truck runs and shifts perfectly. ‘02 Mountaineer AWD V6. I did need to change the tranny fluid and filter again...
  14. C

Can't remove rear differential drain bolt

First apply a liberal amount of penetrating catalyst oil on the plug thread area and let it soak in for a few hours. Place your breaker bar male end into the drain plug and have its handle extend out to the right of the plug close to horizontal to the floor. Now place a hydraulic floor jack...
  15. C

Correct, I meant to say heat up around the plug.
  16. C

Spray a liberal amount of B'laster - 8-PB - Penetrating Catalyst on it and let it soak in a few hours. Put A Pipe extension over your breaker bar for leverage and apply force. If still not budging use a propane torch and heat up the plug. Apply force again, it should turn.
  17. C

Ohv startup rattle/metallic sound

Sorry But hard to hear anything from that recording, don’t know what noise to filter out. Sounds like maybe a couple of seconds delay in some engine component getting oil to it. Did you check the oil level on your dipstick to see if it is low? Do you use a quality oil filter with a back flow...
  18. C

What oil for my 4.0L

How are you judging which are better? Those numbers mean absolutely nothing unless they are in context with a certain size particulate. Of course they mean little anyway without a report summarizing the results of each filter being tested. Nobody said anything about falsifying photos. ? You...
  19. C

What oil for my 4.0L

Absolutely not
  20. C

What oil for my 4.0L

#1. The link is comparing Fram‘s cheapest filter, not the Fram higher quality filters. even so the PH line still isn’t a bad filter for frequent oil changes, 3-5K miles (as this comparison shows). #2 . The link is the product of Ford Motorcraft !!!, of course they are trying to tell you theirs...
  21. C

What oil for my 4.0L

Hard to beat the price at Walmart for the quality of a Fram UltraGuard or ToughGuard filter.
  22. C

@donalds, we assumed this was the video of the problem regarding this thread, which was to be posted later today. Kindly add an explanation if you post something, I wasn’t specifically following who posted what.
  23. C

Hmm, hard to tell from the video but that sounds more like a pulley rattle to me caused by a bad bearing. Check all your drive belt pulleys with a simple/inexpensive stethoscope tool. Put it on the unit that the pulley is driving and it will pick up the noise from the pulley’s bearing. If not...
Back