Ohv startup rattle/metallic sound | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ohv startup rattle/metallic sound

Hmm, hard to tell from the video but that sounds more like a pulley rattle to me caused by a bad bearing. Check all your drive belt pulleys with a simple/inexpensive stethoscope tool. Put it on the unit that the pulley is driving and it will pick up the noise from the pulley’s bearing. If not, and it may be internal to the engine, try changing the oil and substitute one quart of oil for one quart of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer or Lucas Oil Stop Leak (similar products). They really do work. I have had great success with using Lucas products in many vehicles to quiet noises, stop minor leaks, etc. They are safe to use in motors and transmissions. Follow the directions.
ohv timing chainand the tensioner
OR
the cam synchronizer

are both suspect for that noise at cold start

To eliminate hte belt driven accessories as the culprit remove the belt and then start the truck
While the belt is off try spinning your pullies by hand
It could be as simple as a bad idler or tensioner pulley in the serpentine system
If it is inside the engine then I would suspect either the synchro or the timing chain
I hope y'all aren't replying to me this video is a example of the noise
marbling you can clearly hear it when the car idles down classic sound
Something with the offset piston wrist pin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope y'all aren't replying to me this video is a example of the noise
marbling you can clearly hear it when the car idles down classic sound
Something with the offset piston wrist pin
@donalds, we assumed this was the video of the problem regarding this thread, which was to be posted later today. Kindly add an explanation if you post something, I wasn’t specifically following who posted what.

Thanks for the replies, I haven’t been able to take a video because it’s be insane at work.

the sound only happens for 1-2 seconds max then goes away. Sounds almost like pinging sound

Edit: here’s a very poor video. Sound is muffled due to my phone being on hood. If you skip to 15 seconds you’ll hear it at 16-17.

Thanks for the replies, I haven’t been able to take a video because it’s be insane at work.

the sound only happens for 1-2 seconds max then goes away. Sounds almost like pinging sound

Edit: here’s a very poor video. Sound is muffled due to my phone being on hood. If you skip to 15 seconds you’ll hear it at 16-17.
Sorry But hard to hear anything from that recording, don’t know what noise to filter out. Sounds like maybe a couple of seconds delay in some engine component getting oil to it. Did you check the oil level on your dipstick to see if it is low? Do you use a quality oil filter with a back flow valve? I’d first change the oil and filter using good quality products and the right viscosity. Substitute one quart of oil for one quart of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. It really does help quiet noisy engines.

Worn out push rods and or rocker arms no big deal IMO

You do not need to quiet down a noisy engine by adding thicker oil like the Lucas treatments.

If the engine is suffering from oil starvation on the top end (valvetrain) during a cold start then you have CARBON buildup inside the engine. The best way to remove carbon buildup is not with thick oil additives. It is with detergents.... like Mobil one full synthetic oil. Or run some diesel oil for a change or two, or even add one quart of ATF to the crankcase for the next oil change. These detergents will break up the carbon so it can be filtered and drained..............

I have seen the inside of enough pushrod Fords to know top end ticking at cold start = carbon buildup/ oil starvation.
Good idea to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge so you can get an actual reading of what is going on in there.

You do not need to quiet down a noisy engine by adding thicker oil like the Lucas treatments.

Agreed, I've heard that the Lucas Oil Stabilizer is especially bad (mostly from Bob is the Oil Guy). It's essentially super thick base stock with no additives, so it dilutes the additive package of anything you put it in.

yes it is pure petroleum jelly, will sure help if you are losing compression past some rings,but will only hurt hydraulic tensioners or lifters IMO
It will not break up carbon deposits so they can be flushed out, no detergents in there, you need detergents! Something diesel oil is full of, ATF does a good job of, and Mobil one is great at.....

did not see if you mentioned milage a ohv engine is 23 yrs old . i have a 99 currently not on road needs clutch . but fires up right a way but has been noisey both startup and running 109k but had no choice a few yrs ago made 2600 round trip and ran for several more years. and might put it back on road that ohv with 5sp give me 20 mpg on 20 mile one way part city part hwy
but check the serpentine idler my 04 sohc need one

Sounds like it might be one of your cam chain tensioners (there are 2). These are small hydraulic pistons w/springs which can cause a rattle in either or both the front or rear timing chains. Low oil level can also cause the chain(s) to rattle for 2-3 seconds at startup. There is a lot of info on the net - Google or YouTube should yield plenty of good info. Best of luck’

@MotoDan this is a OHV engine not a sohc
There is one timing chain on a pushrod engine and there is one tensioner on the 4.0 OHV timing chain

almost sounds like your ac compressor cycling on and off and at the same time locking up

hmmm well the first video sounds like locking compressor kinda

but then that second I didn’t see till now, that sounds more like either the camshaft synchronizer/sensor or the starter bendix gear interfering with The ring gear maybe not releasing properly or simply a loose starter perhaps

@MotoDan this is a OHV engine not a sohc
There is one timing chain on a pushrod engine and there is one tensioner on the 4.0 OHV timing chain
Oops!You're right 410Fortune, I was thinking about my OHC motor. Thanks for clarifying

hmmm well the first video sounds like locking compressor kinda

but then that second I didn’t see till now, that sounds more like either the camshaft synchronizer/sensor or the starter bendix gear interfering with The ring gear maybe not releasing properly or simply a loose starter perhaps
Thanks for the reply, I think I’ll check the starter for play or visible wear. Fingers crossed it’s something easily accessible haha.

Back