Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

quick question - Bolt sizes

Hi guys I need an answer to this question fast. I have looked for the answer a fair bit. Anyways I do not have a torque socket set and need a socket to get the a4dl transmission off. I would like to buy just the proper size and not a whole set. can someone tell me what size torque socket...
  2. F

91 Explorer Auto to Manual conversion

I was wondering if someone could point me to some good info on swapping my auto A4DL to a manual transmission. I read some guy used a mitsubishi tranny on a ranger. Anyways my tranny is now busted, and my plan for now is to pull mine out get a junk yard one, and then rebuild my tranny. I...
  3. F

91 Transmission, No reverse. Dec 30.

If i spend $500 bucks... from what I can tell from reading this, will it not just break again really soon? But yes I have definitly thought about doing just that.
  4. F

POLL: Novice Transmission rebuild

I am a novice mechanic, however I am technically inclined and a pretty smart guy. I was wondering what my chances of success are on pulling out the tranny and rebuilding it and putting it back in are? I can read and follow instructions well, and so far have been able to fix most car/truck...
  5. F

Oh yes new years....... I forgot, to busy worrying about my truck, I may have to go buy a $500 beater, because this was my daily vehicle, well looks like I am gonna learn alot about transmissions really fast.
  6. F

The thing is I think it wont move in neutral... thats the wierd part... I cant figure out why it wouldnt move. Maybe it is "locked" in to drive or something??? Anyways I will get friends, maybe I just need more muscle, but I have moved it myself before. I will check dipstick again and get...
  7. F

I would like to say I am a master mechanic, but all I know how to fix is what has broken before. Can you attempt to describe a burt odor? is it just how it sounds kind of "firey" smell? and would this smell show up after a few minutes of being on, in idle? (i can't drive it anywhere.)
  8. F

Ok the transmission fluid looks like it just came out of the bottle. No particulate of any kind. When I shift from drive to reverse, the rpms do drop slightly, and "i can feel" there is something going on in the transmission. out of curiousity, is there some way I can move this thing? I...
  9. F

Yes the gear shifter goes into reverse and the RPMs go up when i press the gas. I will go check fluid now..... I do check regularily and the dipstick is usually looking like the right color(translucent red like, you know the color :-).... but I will make certain right now.
  10. F

Thanks, I figured catastrophy but was hoping for something less...... Anyways I will try.... there was no slipping or any problems with reverse until now, does that lead you to believe something different for the reverse clutch?
  11. F

My auto transmission will not go into reverse?? I have forward gears, I have read alot of these threads and can not find a possible problem. I have sufficient auto mechanic skills, however the automatic transmission does "frighten" me some what. If someone could point me in the right...
  12. F

91 Trans.... Yep another tranny problem

My transmission has been acting kinda funny ever since I got it 2 months ago. First the overdrive wouldnt ever kick in, and then sometimes it would for like a minute or 2 then back down to drive it would go. THis happened when the gear selector was in OD. Then it started making some loud...
Back