Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

fuel rail removal in reinstall help 2005 4.6

I would get new o rings since fuel system is pressurized and those may have never have been replaced. How old is this manifold? Has it ever been replaced?
  2. K

fuel rail removal in reinstall help 2005 4.6

The injectors have o rings on the top and bottom. Going into the rail and into the manifold. There are two fasteners on either side securing rail to manifold, one 90* ground connector on a stud, a quick disconnect (shouldn't need to disconnect). Have to carefully pry rail, although o rings have...
  3. K

disable balance shaft by removing chain

4.6 used cast iron housing spring backup hydraulic tensioners with a ratcheting lock which held tensioner in a fixed position with 0oil pressure similar to a manual tensioner but benefit of automatic adjustment with oil pressure. Great system, no gasket to blow out like the later composite...
  4. K

Synthetic

Color is not a definitive indicator of oil life remaining. Certain addtivies can darken with heat cycling but still as a package have a high enough TBN to have protective qualities. If you really want to know how much life is in the oil, put a Fumoto drain valve on, capture a sample, and send to...
  5. K

Ac clutch cycling with heater on

I wouldn't delete ac. It makes a measurable difference in defrost/demisting windows.
  6. K

Ac clutch cycling with heater on

Low refrigerant charge
  7. K

Huh?

So you can pump grease into the bearing once you get new ones to extend the life so long as you use a quality grease. If you remove the abs sensor you can pump grease in there. I had an adapter made with a two o rings that temporarily replaces the abs wire. It has a zerk on one side. There is a...
  8. K

2010 Ford Explorer Sunroof Drain Termination Location

Not 100% sure on drain termination but you can use a weed eater filament to push down the hose and check for blockage and see roughly how long it is and behind what panel it stops. I ended up using a bulk piece of large clear bra made by venture shield and sealed my sunroof, but I never use...
  9. K

Raybestos, Power Stop, or Wagner brake hardware?

When shoping brakes, I ask mfg for edge codes and pad formulation. There are many formulations each with benefits and drawbacks but in my opinion the edge code vs temp graph is the most telling. They all have a two character code, may have to dig a little. The further in the alphabet the better...
  10. K

Quick Question

What is the dimension with drive gear starter extended and depth of ring gear? Did you compare the engineering or part numbers of the two flexplates? Sounds right now like the two are not meshing correctly especially when you mentioned shaved metal. As long as the when the torque converter...
  11. K

1l24 vs 4l24 transfer case

2002-2003 MY Gen3 Explorers used a Motorola 4x4 control module which was a stand alone controller behind the glovebox. For the 2004 MY the gen3 moved to CAN bus as method of controller communication and also got rid of the separate module moving it to instrument cluster and pcm embedded...
  12. K

Rear LSD Swap?

4.0 and 4.6 had option for limited slip, all 31 spline.
  13. K

Rear LSD Swap?

There are a few options with Limited slips. The IRS 8.8" has 31 splines. One option is the Truetrac gear driven limited slip. Paired with Advancetrac is an extremely effective combination when wheels come off the ground. User The electrician has a great post in the 4th gen forum if you search...
  14. K

Motorcraft wheel bearings (Made in China now)

Front and rear are tapered bearings
  15. K

4.6 V8 Timing: Dealer vs Ford Racing Kit

Aug-2019 I was thinking of this the other day and I thought it could help someone else so here are a few notes on the 4.6 Romeo V8 2V timing components. There are multiple choices when it comes to timing guides, tensioning arms, tensioners, chains, cam gears etc. If you want the cheapest...
  16. K

Motorcraft wheel bearings (Made in China now)

Just a heads up for Ford (Motorcraft) bearings. Ford updated numbers on the front and rear wheel bearing "kits," both Chinese now. Prices have gone down significantly compared to the previous offerings. Front wheel bearing part number has been superseded from 4L2Z-1104-AA which is an OE design...
  17. K

To many questions!!

I have gotten a lot of miles out of rear bearings but have found incorrect install kills even the best bearing quickly. Incorrect torque on the retaining nut for the cv is the number 1 killer. Not using fresh threadlocker or ideally a new nut is killer number 2. Loading the bearing with...
  18. K

Hello, I have a couple questions about my 03 NBX

The lack of noise is the one major symptom of a bad bearing missing but figured it would be a good check. On heavy Ford trucks (250+) an abs light generally precludes a bad wheel bearing 9 out of 10 times. They have tapered unit bearings like these only a little bigger but same idea. A really...
  19. K

Finding good shops nowadays is like next to impossible! Alignment checks are free at every Ford dealer I have been to. If you are nice they usually will print out the results so you can see what is going on. I am thinking you have something bearing related especially with the front abs code...
  20. K

Harsh knocking noise from back of engine or front of transmission...

Run it up to 40mph with OD off. Flat ground, light throttle pressure. Increase throttle application enough to accelerate but not downshift. Is the noise quiet?
  21. K

Harsh knocking noise from back of engine or front of transmission...

Without hearing the noise it is difficult to say. There was a run of 02/03 4.6s that had noisy torque converters which usualy made a metallic clicking/tapping noise at idle and up through 2,500 or so rpm. A locked torque converter made the noise stop. Ford's response was it did not affect...
  22. K

rear liftgate rattle...

A couple things, if it is creaking especially when crossing something diagonally (like a ditch), I would bet your rear window hinges are shot and or need adjustment. If you push in on the rear applique panel you can hear the inner trim rub the weatherstrip making a lot of noise. To verify, put...
  23. K

As far as coolant, watch coolant and oil levels. This will help tell you what is going on. When you see smoke again, catch a smell. Is it sweet? As far as maintenance by previous owners, on the first oil change in your posession, what oil filter was installed? While not a dead ringer for good...
  24. K

Battery light started cominnon a couple days ago

How old was old battery? Is alternator warmer than surrounding metal after a cold soak period? What is voltage off and when running (check at batt terminals AND charge post on alt)? Alternator starting to die is possibility.
  25. K

New 2008 Limited project truck

Congrats! That is a really clean and low mileage V8!
Back