Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

The 1994 Navajo LX Barn Find Restoration Project

We have success! I walked 3 miles yesterday to go get it and drive it home. Tonight I took it out on a 35 mile road test. Got it up to 70. Drives like it should. Yes, it is a rough ride as the springs are not new, but it does not wobble and the steering is straight. That 5th gear is a true...
  2. M

Tires were broken down and re-roadforce balanced 3x. Wheel bearings were snugged up a bit more. Now, no shake at 65 on my quick test run. I'll run it around this weekend to make sure we are good, then it is for work and back. Dealer had it for 3 days, only charged me $95 in labor. Good shop.
  3. M

91 Explorer Coil Spring Buckets

I've never heard of that Site before. Do you know of one for replacement body parts, like a Year One sort of place?
  4. M

Vibration above 65 mph

Totally new front end parts, all new rubber, brakes, shocks, etc. Brand new tires. Bad shake at 63-67 MPH. 1994 Navajo 5spd.
  5. M

Explorer shakes at 60mph You can read and watch much of what I did above. The short version: 1994 Navajo LX 4x4 5spd manual barn find, one owner, 89k miles. Had horrible death wobble when I bought it a couple months ago. Drove it home doing 45, and parked it in the garage. I replaced 4 shocks...
  6. M

Explorer shakes at 60mph

The 1994 Navajo LX Barn Find Restoration Project You can read and watch much of what I did above. The short version: 1994 Navajo LX 4x4 5spd manual barn find, one owner, 89k miles. Had horrible death wobble when I bought it a couple months ago. Drove it home doing 45, and parked it in the...
  7. M

Ford explorer 94 ABS code 42 and 63

I'm listening for knowledge.
  8. M

Head Install

Take a Dremel with the HD cut-off wheel. Remove the plastic fender liner and there is room to get to the outside bolts. I had to do this.
  9. M

Head Install

I have bolts stuck in the manifolds. I used these to clamp the new Y pipe in place: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4TML46/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  10. M

Head Install

I just did the water pump this weekend. I used this and it was easy peasy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STSCH74/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  11. M

Oh, and I learned something. The sun roof comes off. Push the two red levers and flip the black one and the glass comes off the knob. Tilt it up and it comes out of the hinges. I treated the weather stripping up there and around the doors with the good German stuff in the purple bottle...
  12. M

It runs! All new cooling system parts installed. No leaks. A/C charged and blowing a solid 60 F at idle in the sun at 85 F outside. It is now outside. Stains in carpets were lifted out and a good vacuum job done. I did find some **** though. While in storage, before I bought it, a GD...
  13. M

We made a huge milestone on Sunday. The Navajo made it off of the jack stands! I have a place to do the alignment and install new tires just 4 miles up the road from me. The new exhaust is on and new shocks and rear shackles. Rear diff was sucked out and refilled. I will pull the cover this...
  14. M

Brakes were bled today! Fresh juice in the veins. Got one of the rear shocks off. Then for the front steering parts... Turns out that parts sold on Rockauto.com are more incorrect than correct for this vehicle. The left outer and inner tie rods require that shackle to be bolted together and...
  15. M

Front calipers are mounted. It looks so pretty with shiny new stuff on it. I stuck with the rounded head for the steel to rubber nut for now. It is sealed tight, no leaks. The driver's side spun right off. No problems there. Tomorrow morning I'll bleed the front calipers. Drained the...
  16. M

Where is the fill plug for the rear differential?

They put that plug in a horrible spot. With the fuel tank skid plate, it is hard to get to with the vehicle on the ground.
  17. M

Hello. Tonight I installed / mounted the passenger side caliper and new pads. I was going to replace front brake lines, but after reading in the shop manual (and Google) how a special tool is needed to bleed the ABS unit, I opted to not do that. Life situations have changed and we are moving...
  18. M

Brake line fittings into the ABS HCU

How did you bleed the ABS unit?
  19. M

Brake hose replacement

What if you have ABS??
  20. M

Today I finished pulling apart the driver's side front end. Sanded, primed, and painted the radius arm. It is back in. Found out you have to jack up the axle for it to align with the bottom hole. Removing the broken shock mount was fun. Drilled 2/3 of it out, then had to hand cut the cast...
  21. M

I have looked a bit, but no real luck. They are kinda hard to find!
  22. M

Got the driver's side spindle off. Only used 1/2 can of Deep Creep. I did find a perfect tool for it though. I have an older putty knife with a pummel on it designed to be hammered. Branded Craftsman. Narrow but blunt edge. That worked well to give just enough distance for the Deep Creep...
  23. M

Spark plug condition and idle?

I'd change out those plugs. How hard were they to break free? I have new ones, and new wires, once I get the darn underside done.
  24. M

HELP REMOVING FRONT SPINDLE'S

I just paid $28 for the sensor and harness at O'Reilly.
Back