Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

I’ve already got the speedo running off the Dakota box, and the pinion angle is already set and welded in the rear. So I can just disappear those wires right? This vehicle got the vss from the original 2wd trans. I was wondering about setting caster angle when I swap the front, as it’s more...
  2. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Can anyone tell me about the abs sensor wiring that went to the 8.8, is that just for abs? I’m just going to zip tie it out of the way but I would like to cut it out. They are just sense wires right, as in no power because the signal is generated by the tone ring sensor? So if I were to cut them...
  3. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

The rear end has brakes! Bit of a struggle to source and adapt all these parts but I got it done, bled, and tested by hand. I used M8 coupling nuts that I welded to the leaf brackets to emulate the factory soft line hold downs, I still need to come up with something for the hard lines. Decided...
  4. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Two updates in one day? Why not? U Bolts came in, so I figured I would quickly flex it out as much as I could. Looks like I’m gonna need larger bump stops because the spring goes inverted, but the driveshaft barely moves. I’m hoping to get similar results for droop but I doubt it. At least I...
  5. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Update: Decided to see what would happen if if put the springs in the stock direction and pushed the RuffStuff brackets all the way back. It pushed the axle about an inch or so further forward than I really wanted but I think it will work. Might require some clearance in the front of the wheel...
  6. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Yes, trying to be able to go at least 65 comfortably. We don’t really have rocks in FL, just sand and mud, and I’ll have to drive where I want to go. Also I think that’s about as low as I can go with a D50, but I’ll double check.
  7. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

So I decided that if I keep saying I’ll get around to it one day, I’ll be dead by the time that day comes, so I just started doing this. Rebuilt the 10.5 and got an axle swap kit. Decided to go with the explorer leafs flipped backwards, and exchanged the overload spring for a helper spring...
  8. S

Idler pulley bolt

Thanks @MrClamps ! That was 3 years ago. I just used that cobbled bolt and it’s working fine. If I ever have to take it apart again, I will definitely remember SHOULDER bolt.
  9. S

Idler pulley bolt

Depending on how far you want to go and how long the vehicle can be down, there are a lot of options. General escalation method would probably be best. Soak it down with penetrant, let it sit (overnight if you can) heat it up, juice/heat/juice/heat etc. If you can reach, wack the top of the bolt...
  10. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

@410Fortune sure did, I made a whole other thread about it. Fixed, runs great!
  11. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Hey! Back to work on this thing. Nothing too fancy, still collecting parts for axle swapping, but I did get this auxiliary electronics compartment fabricobbled. I think I want to add an aux fuse panel in there also.
  12. S

Fuel pump wiring

Exactly. In my case I wasn’t sure if I may have nicked a wire installing vinyl flooring, so I had to confirm everything before ordering a pump.
  13. S

Fuel pump wiring

@410Fortune they had the wrong image on the website, the one I ordered was a complete unit from precision. This one appears to have been apart before at some point, some of the plastic tabs/clip things were cracked and the wire to the float was damaged when I pulled it out. I also would like to...
  14. S

Fuel pump wiring

Question, how come mine looks completely different from everything else I’ve seen on here? Also o’Reilly’s doesn’t sell a complete sender, but they have the hanger and pump separately. The pump they sell is not this one… so looks like I’ll have to got both and put them together. Pump resistance...
  15. S

Fuel pump wiring

Ok, ran 12 straight from the battery un-fused lol, to black pink/black. Nothing, silent as the grave. And to be double sure I checked resistance, 1.5M so yeah, I guess the fuel pump just decided to quit all the sudden at the end of a test drive. So weird. You would think it would have shown some...
  16. S

Fuel pump wiring

@J_C so just apply 12 to the pigtail on pink/blk and blk, whichever pins match. Will do! I read you could feed back from the inertia switch to do the same thing. But I much prefer at the pump to eliminate wiring problems. @410Fortune I half dropped the tank looking for the plug before I found...
  17. S

Fuel pump wiring

So if I go to the plug to the pump and check across blk-Dkg/yel I should see 12 while cranking right? And if I don’t, i have to assume a broken wire since I already applied 12 to this circuit and got no pump. Actually I guess I didn’t ground the negative, I’ll try that after checking for...
  18. S

Fuel pump wiring

I looked, can’t find a good answer. Problem: 96 5.0, crank no start, can’t hear the fuel pump. I checked the fuse and swapped relays, checked power at the inertia switch thing, get a spike in run, ran 12v from the battery to the green and both the other (actually tried all the combos) and did...
  19. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Found the plug, checked voltage while having someone crank, got 12s, 6s and 5s, so I assume that’s good power. No clue which wires go to the actual pump so I was just guessing at test points. If someone could tell me which ones actually power the pump so I can confirm before buying a pump/sender...
  20. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

It’s possible I may have nicked that crash sensor thing, which I did check but just the button. I thought those were mechanical though? Do they kill the fuel pump or just release pressure?
  21. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Paint it black, put it back. Shift boot box is finished and installed. Took the rig for a test drive around the block a bunch of laps to see if the box gets hot. Stayed cool to the touch for the 20 or so minutes I ran it at full temp in 90 some odd degree weather. Success! Went to park the...
  22. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Update Got the floors all installed, not prefect, should have listened to @410Fortune about the sport flooring. The rock auto stuff works, but it’s not great. Oh well whatever. Everthing is back in the cab, still need new seats/rails of some kind. Got the shift boot holder thing fabricobbled...
  23. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Well that was a hell of a drive, trailer was sketchy AF, couldn’t go over 55. Took 6 hours to get back through every type of weather even hail. Yeah cured drive. Truck did awesome though, apparently it likes to work. Hard shift went about after about 150 miles under load. Idk Anyway, relaxed...
  24. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

300 miles and 100°, trailer overloaded 😂 taking back roads.
  25. S

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

It’s an 00, somebody already cut out the grill for halo lights, I just cut more and put in the 05 headlight.
Back