Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

PTU on a 2010?

Reseurrecting this old question of mine. What fluid does this transfer unit take? 4.0L v6 engine, 5R55W transmission I believe. (unsure what the transfer case model number is). Service manual says "mercon". Owners manual says "XL-12". Oreillys says Mercon LV, advanced auto parts says to use...
  2. C

PTU on a 2010?

I changed the front and rear diff fluid last night (fun, had to pump it out and back in on the front), and I saw a video about the Power Transfer Units on AWD fords crapping out because on some models they're surrounded by the transmission and catalytic converter and it cooks the "lifetime"...
  3. C

Disable ABS? 2010 4.0L

well that sucks. Maybe I will have to unplug the sensors then.
  4. C

Disable ABS? 2010 4.0L

My ABS is way too sensitive and seems to do more harm than good on the icy roads around here in the north. If I pump the brakes, I stop just fine. I don't want to unplug the sensor and leave the harness orifices open to the salt and debris. Can I disable the ABS via a fuse etc? Will disabling...
  5. C

2010 4.0L - Brief Squeak/chirp at startup

Just an update to close out this thread: turns out it was a loose exhaust heat-shield above the torque converter. This started happening right after some transmission work, but as soon as I got it home, I pulled the alternator to run spark plug wires and replaced the spark plugs.
  6. C

I used a paint marker and started the engine several times, hearing the squeak every time. The lines did not shift at all. So it's either the engine mount or some other mystery. Either way, I'm going to take it to the shop and have them diagnose it. I've spent hours and hours dicking with this.
  7. C

I'll check the harmonic balancer pulley, but also, if I were to replace the engine mounts, could I support the engine with a jack from beneath or does it have to be supported from above?
  8. C

Nice, that's a really good idea. Thank you Was the shift pretty noticeable with those lines?
  9. C

Would this squeak without a belt on it though? My understanding is the torsion from the belt twists or shifts that rubber dampener on the pulley. With no resisting force on it other than inertia, I doubt that would be it... I'll see if I can get that stethoscope down there to listen, without...
  10. C

Would the petroleum in the pb blaster deteriorate the engine mount rubber? Seems odd that they wouldn't use a rubber that's compatible with oil considering it's likely exposure to oil. Or is there some other reason? I have no idea what else it could be. I'm about to take it to a shop and let...
  11. C

I took the belt off and started the engine. The chirp still occurred. So it's not a pulley. I don't think it's the exhaust system either as I tried to shake it and there is no give or rattle. I used the stethoscope on the starter, near the exhaust manifold, on the transmission and bell...
  12. C

I've got one but the sound only occurs for a split second upon startup. So there are a lot of changing noises so it's hard to tell where it's coming from. Even with the stethoscope
  13. C

well i pulled the belt, checked the harmonic balancer pulley and it appears to be ok. I replaced the belt tensioner and it's still making the noise. I really think it's got to do with alternator but idk what could be wrong. Maybe it's not bolted tight enough and squeaks from movement on...
  14. C

Rev change. Not a redesign. I know it happens on other vehicles. Probably won't see it on injected molded parts. Change in a bolt-on purchase part or change to a simple sheet metal part formed with standard tooling; I could see them doing that if it was justified (probably only safety issues or...
  15. C

So I'd be able to theoretically be able to move that with my hand if loose? Is this a pita to replace? Mine is a 2010, anyone know if they bothered revising designs of things across years within this generation of explorers?
  16. C

Its new. I replaced the belt to see if the squeak would go away. And it did not change it. And prior to installing the new belt I carefully used carb cleaner to clean all of the pulleys. I avoid dirt roads as much as possible. If I drive them I go slow. I figure it must be coming from one of...
  17. C

Squeak was occurring before I replaced the belt, but it did start after I changed plugs and wires, which required removed the belt and alternator. I bet it is the tensioner then. Maybe cranking it as far as I did to release the belt, compromised the spring so it can't hold enough tension...
  18. C

140k miles. I changed my spark plugs and wires on my 4.0L 2010. It seems to have started after that. I did have to pull my alternator to get the wires routed. I tried carefully spraying wd40 on the bearing part of each pulley. Then sprayed the pulleys with carb cleaner. Replaced the belt...
  19. C

Anyway to permanently disable securilock passive security system?

I'll have to double check, but I thought the owners manual said their was a period you have to wait. Could be wrong. My key chip is only in the key and not the fob. Has a separate cheap fab exactly like the one on my 04 f150. The light did everything it was supposed to according to the owners...
  20. C

Anyway to permanently disable securilock passive security system?

2010 with 4.0l v6. 100k miles. This weekend when I was camping, it decided to not start when I was 15 miles back into the statelands without cell service. I'd put the key in, turn it to ON, it dings and does normal routine including the securilock indicator light glowing red for 3 seconds (per...
  21. C

2010 Ford Explorer Sync upgrade from 3.01 to 4.6 -- Worth it?

You're misunderstanding (I should have been clearer in the title). I'm not looking to UPGRADE. I'm looking to perform the SYNC system software update as recommended by ford. My current software version is 3.01 and they say that 4.6 is available.
  22. C

2010 Ford Explorer Sync upgrade from 3.01 to 4.6 -- Worth it?

My main concern is sometimes these things create more problems than they fix. Is it worth it/safe to update to 4.6 from 3.01? It's the 4.0L V6 model too if that matters. I have the basic Sync package without the touchscreen.
  23. C

New explorer owner 2010 V6 4.0l - some questions

yep I edited my post about that. So is the main cause of concern on the 5R55S the servo bore wearing out?
Back