Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Wheel bearing issue.

I replaced my front wheel bearing on my 2006 AWD V8 mountaineer about 2 months ago. I did the whole job on my own. It was not to bad but I did beat the crap out of the old bearing for about an hour to get it out, using a 15# hammer. I did not remove the knuckle. I even put the lugs nuts on...
  2. S

broken spark plugs

Hey vip how is it going. I did the work in my attaches garage. Michigan in march, it was probably around fifty degrees in the garage. I used PB buster after i realized what was happening. I was just expecting a quick plug change. If you truck is running good I would put it off a while and...
  3. S

Broken Muffler

Feel free to correct me. We cut of what I believe to be the muffler. What you see in the picture i believe is the resistor. Either way, whatever we cut of was the source of the rattle. I do have a picture of the component we removed if anyone is interested. Have a great day slim
  4. S

Broken Muffler

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the input. I have solved the issue by going to a muffler shop and had them cut the muffler off and then replace it with a piece of pipe, we kept the resonator to quiet it down some. They only charged me $60.00 dollars and it sounds great. Thanks again slim
  5. S

Broken Muffler

Whatever is rattleing is inside the muffler, it does not appear to be a heat sheild or anything on the exterior. Thank you for the information. slim.
  6. S

Broken Muffler

Hello, my 2006 V8 mountaineer has a broken muffler that rattles. The muffler shop said the whole exhaust would have to be replaced as it is one piece. However, I would like to cut the muffler out and piece in a pipe or put on some other type of muffler. I am wondering how loud it would be...
  7. S

Rear brake on 2006 mountaineer

Hello, I need to replace my rear brakes on a 2006 mountaineer V8. I have done many brake jobs but after taking a closer look i an hesitant if this is a job I should tackle. It appears that the half shafts and linkages and more would have to come apart. Could someone who has done the rear...
  8. S

broken spark plugs

Trust me, I wish I had some warning before I started pulling plugs. I was completely unaware of what I was messing with. Anyone working with these plugs should be careful.
  9. S

Transmission Fluid Flush

Yes it faces up. When you take out the plug no fluid will come out. If you have not maintained you transmission you get so much dirt and sediment, it is like plaque. When you disturb a neglected transmission you disturb all that junk and cause a failure. You have 65k on it, I do not...
  10. S

Transmission Fluid Flush

I think you should change the filter. Every time I change the filter I am amazed at how dirty it is. I may have spoke to soon. I have a 6 speed v8. However, it sounds like it is similar. I do not have a picture but I can describe it and if you need a picture I can get one. Mine is on...
  11. S

Transmission Fluid Flush

I have changed my filter twice. This rubber plug they are talking about is actually the dip stick. You can check out you fluid level but you have to crawl under the truck and remove the plug and there is your dip stick it is only a couple of inches long. Changing that filter is no...
  12. S

broken spark plugs

I have 91 k miles on it. And yes I was pretty scared when the first on broke. So When I ended up with 3 busted plug it was difficult to sleep. Anyway the plugs in the picture look just like the ones I dug out of my heads. I think hole leading to the plug has a metal sleeve, and the way...
  13. S

broken spark plugs

they are out Well, I got them out using this tool. The tool worked great. I was able to remove two of the in a very short period of time. However, the last one with the hex head twisted of was very difficult...
  14. S

broken spark plugs

2006 mountaineer 4.6 v8. What is the best way to remove a broken spark plug? To me these are not normal plugs. I have three of them I cannot remove and are broken in different ways. 1. is broken off where the thread would end, the last inch of the electrode is in the hole. 2. the hex...
  15. S

missing stabilizer link & ABS

OK, thanks for the feedback. I was not aware the ring is pressed on. There has got to be a way to fix it without replacing the whole shaft. I was able to get the ring back into position and it is driving much better. The wrench and skidding car icons are no longer light up, just the ABS is...
  16. S

drive axel Ok, I took the truck to the dealer today and had them scan the ABS system. Now, with the information they provided I have pin pointed the problem. I do not know what it is called but I can describe it. On the drive axel near the tire is a ring with teeth in it, the sensor...
  17. S

Hello, I have 2006 mountaineer with advanced trac. My wife hit a curb today and now the ABS light is one and the traction control seems to be trying to make a correction. I went and bought a Haynes manual and checked the list in the book. I look and the sensors, it seems unlikely they could...
  18. S

Auto Hubs working again, cross my fingers

Hello everyone, I am still around however my explorer is a bit under the weather. It has so much wrong with it I am not sure if I am going to fix it or not. However, the auto-hubs still work. I am surprised this thread popping up I like hearing from people who are fixing there hubs. slim
  19. S

Ben Are you going to try to use them again or are you just curious about the hubs. Yea Ben you have gone too far, you need to use a press to get the rest of that out but that is not nessesary. Also, it sounds like you did not remove the snapring before knocking the gear out. If you do...
  20. S

Yes, the hub needs to come apart. But, before anything is done take the hub off look at it face up so you are looking at the spline gear. Notice if the gear and the pot metal cam are flush, if not make a note what it would take the make it flush and that is how thick you spacer needs to be...
  21. S

Hello, my brothers and sorry for the delay with my resonse my computer caught a nasty bug and had to be wiped, just got it back up about five minutes ago. Sure, I will talk hub with you what is your question. My rig has 210,000 miles and still sporting auto-hubs. Slim
  22. S

Vasser, Michigan in January

Although I cannot commit 100% I am planning to be there, I may not know for sure until the last minute. slim
  23. S

starter

Thanks everyone for the reply's. My luck must me running good, my starter has been working great for two days now. All I did was take the motor out of the housing and cleaned the gears with fine steel wool and transmission fluid and greased the very end of the shaft. Of course my fingers will...
  24. S

starter

Yes, I saw prices in that range. This truck has 210K I guess I am trying to keep it going as cheep as I can, plus I like taking this apart and trying to fix them. This site is great for that seems like there is somone here for everything. slim
  25. S

starter

Been pricing starters for a couple of days and to me they want a lot of money for them. Prices for my 94 I have seen from 200.00 to 55.00 + shipping. Ya, the 55.00 is not bad but with shipping it is in the 70,s and then my warrenty is in california. Today I took mine apart and like you say...
Back