Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Temp fixes for rear differential grinding?

Sounds worth trying! Any recommendations on gear oil and friction modifier?
  2. J

Temp fixes for rear differential grinding?

I just finished repairing both front and rear heater blend doors on my '02 XLT (V8 with towing package), when I start getting the grinding noise/sensation at low speeds. Mechanic says to replace the clutch packs and bearings ($1500), which seems to match with information on this board...
  3. J

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Yet another huge thanks to Big Rondo. Without your help (and pictures) I'm not sure I would have ever found the darned actuator--or all the screws holding console, etc. There were also a couple moments where I might have decided I was on a fools errand if I didn't know that so many had...
  4. J

10 Second Temporary Fix for Blend Door Actuator Problem...

Rondo, are you saying that the actuator you replaced in your original post failed after only 3 years? Sounds like I might as well save $$$ and buy one at Autozone if the genuine Ford part only lasts 3 years. (Also makes me wonder if there's a problem in the door itself--like extra...
  5. J

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Why nitrogen? Racers use it to keep pressure increases more predictable (the moisture in normal air expands when heated and increases pressure). That's potentially important in racing situations where a half-pound or pound difference can be signficant. But it's hard to imagine why it would be...
  6. J

Tranny flush question.....

So does anyone know of a similar solution for the 2002+ "sealed" transmissions without a @#^%$ fill/dipstick tube?
  7. J

ATF flush drain refill

It's not a fill plug in the usual sense. It's a drain plug that has yet another plug tapped into the center of it. As it turns out, that center plug has 1/8" pipe threads, so it seems like you can make a simple adapter by going to Home Depot/Checker/whatever and getting a 1/8" pipe thread with...
  8. J

tranny cooler

I really like Monmix's set-up, but after a quick look, it doesn't seem that it will work on a 2002+ model. Has anyone does something similar on a 2002 or later?
  9. J

tranny cooler

I really like Monmix's set-up, but after a quick look, it doesn't seem that it will work on a 2002+ model. Has anyone does something similar on a 2002 or later?
  10. J

tranny temp sensor install

Never mind--found the answer to my own question when I stumbled across the transmission forum: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127283&highlight=transmission+cooler Looks like a slick solution to my problem, plus adds the filter.
  11. J

tranny temp sensor install

I want to install a tranny temp guage on my 2002 XLT/4.6. The sender for the guage is 1/8" NPT. Anyone know if there's an existing fitting (like a pressure test fitting) that I can use for the sender? And if so, where?
  12. J

OD and trailer towing

I was towing a fairly light (~2500) trailer last week at 75 mph with the OD on, when tranny fluid began dripping out and hitting the exhaust, causing some smoking. The closest dealer said not to run OD, even with a small trailer, because it will cause overheating, which causes fluid to boil out...
  13. J

FUEL FILTER: 30K replace?

Thanks, guys. :)
  14. J

FUEL FILTER: 30K replace?

So where do you get the special tool for removing the filter--especially the better quality metal one?
Back