Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

rattle underneath truck

I had a loud rattle I thought for sure was a loose heat shield. It turned out to be a tiny rock that was just barely too small to go through the drain hole in the heat shield. It was really hard to believe that such a small rock could be so loud.
  2. S

Transmission fluid change interval

What is the proper change interval for automatic transmission fluid assuming severe duty? The maintenance schedule that came with the truck says the change interval is every 20,000 miles (under severe duty) for the 5.0L and 48,000 miles (also severe duty) for the 4.0L. For normal duty, it says...
  3. S

Pirelli Scorpions, how good are they in the rain?

I have been very satisfied with mine. I think they are better than the Wilderness A/T's and BFG A/T's I had before.
  4. S

cruise control light

I have the same problem. According to my mechanic, you can't just change the light bulb, you have to replace the whole unit. Because of the air bag, he said it was very expensive. I can't remember the exact price he quoted, but I think it was over $300. In any case, I decided to live with it.
  5. S

Tire lettering ?

My BFG A/T's I had before looked like they were fading so on someones recommendation, I took a SOS pad and scrubed the letters. The result looked very good.
  6. S

Windshield Wipers Alignment

Thanks. I figured it should not be too complicated, but I did not have a clue how to fix it.
  7. S

Windshield Wipers Alignment

I had my windshield replaced and now the wipers are not aligned right. How can I adjust them so they rest a few inches lower??
  8. S

Waag Brush Guards

Mine is the =I-I= one.
  9. S

Waag Brush Guards

I'm very happy w/ my WAAG guard. It has held up well despite running fairly regularly through light to medium brush. As would be expected, it is missing a fair amount of paint, especially on the lower part.
  10. S

Towing with overdrive?????

My preference is to just leave overdrive off. I have tried both ways and I did not see any considerable change gas mileage. Plus, with overdrive on, any passing manuvers or even a slight hill would make it switch back and forth. Nonetheless, the size/weight of the boat is a major factor...
  11. S

Anyone have this problem??

I had the same problem with mine on the passanger side. It was still under warranty, so I don't recall for sure what they did to fix it. I believe it was the motor though. Anyway, it broke again several months later and I did not fix it.
  12. S

Clunking in Transmission

Recently, I noticed an clunking noise in the transmission when I begin to accelerate after a brief period of deceleration. I'm sure the clunking noise is a result of the transmission shifting into gear after decelerating from higher speeds. My questions are: is this normal? is this bad? and...
  13. S

Hypothetical Transmission Question

This purely hypothetical right now (knock on wood), but I would like to be prepared in the event it becomes a reality. Where is the best place to have transmission work done. I mean actual repairs as opposed to just service. I use an independent mechanic in my area and they do a pretty...
  14. S

How many child seats will fit ???

I have two car seats in mine; one in the center and one on the side. With the two car seats, one other person will still fit in the back seat, but it is a squeeze. You can put the front seats all the way back with no problem. I'm not sure, however, if the kids would have enough leg room (if a...
  15. S

94 limited Rattling problems

It is a long shot, but I had a persistent rattling sound under mine. I checked all the heat shields which all seemed to be secure. Finally, I noticed a tiny rock in one of the drain holes on one of the shields. The rock was not lodged in the whole, but just resting about half-way in drain...
  16. S

receiver hitch

I have the Hidden Hitch tubular hitch also. It seems to not be obtrusive and seems to fit the X well. The spare has plenty of room. I can't remember how much it cost other than it was in the neighborhood of $100 to $125 (I think).
  17. S

parreli scorpion a/t's

I switched to Pirelli Scorpions A/T from the BFG A/T KO's about 10k ago. So far I have been very happy. Definitely a better ride than the KO's. Off-road, they have done very well in mud (for an A/T tire).
  18. S

235's BFGs affecting actual speed???

I may be off, but I believe the 235 BFG's are slightly shorter than the 235 Firestones Wilderness AT's that came stock on mine. But that would have the opposite impact on speedo indication. Nonetheless, I would think that any variance between actual speed and registered speed would be very small.
  19. S

Air intake problem

I have had terrible luck with the Ford dealer in my area. I took my X in more than five times to have the dust boot shields updated. Each time, they would add more lube (by poking a needle through the rubber boot). I saw the needle tracks my self. This would rectify the problem for several...
  20. S

Annoying Squeak,Help

I had the same problem w/ mine. The noise seemed to be louder on cold and/or raining days. It turned out to be the dust boot shields. About a year after having them updated, the noise came back. I took it back to the mechanic he lubed something or another and the noise has not come back since.
  21. S

Air intake problem

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I already paid the mechanic to do the repair. Its probably just as well since the Ford dealer near me will go to great ends to weasel out of any type of warranty repairs. Any way, thanks for the help. I will check for TSB next time.
  22. S

Mileage whe towing

I get roughly 7 to 8 mpg pulling an approx. 3,750 pound boat. According to my brother mpg has everything to do with speed and acceleration (makes sense I guess). Slowing down from 80 mph to 70 to 75 mph, I noticed a fair amount of improvement, but it still surprises me how the mpg drops when...
  23. S

Air intake problem

Your explanation sounds more like what the mechanic said than I described above. Since it has almost 80,000 miles, I suppose it would not be covered under the warranty so I might as well have the mechanic do it. The CAM tensioners were updated by a dealership before the warranty extensions...
  24. S

Air intake problem

The total repair is $300+ of which, only a small amount is for parts (I think approx. $30). He explained the problem and much greater detail. It sounded like it made a lot of sense when he explained it, but its not something I have any experience with.
  25. S

Air intake problem

My Explorer recently started sputtering, coughing and gasping immediately after starting on cold mornings. Once warm, it runs fine. According to my mechanic, the problem stems from the air intake which is plastic (as it is on all new cars & trucks). Because of repeated shrinking and swelling...
Back