Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades )

I went through this as well with the mach stereo in my 98. I tried soldering and had no luck. I purchased the board installed it and the display has worked since. What I've noticed though, is that the button illumination on the stereo is intermittent. Most of the time the buttons will no...
  2. R

5.0 sounds like a sewing machine, tick tick tick tick

Same issue here. The manifold looks okay but the you can clearly see the gasket blown out in areas around it. Not sure if I'll just do new gaskets or get headers to replace the stock manifolds or trade the truck in.. This is on a 98 AWD 5.0 EB.
  3. R

Steering Knock

If you're talking about from inside the cabin under the wheel then yes. That seems tight.
  4. R

Lights burnt out in Stock Mach Head Unit...

I asked about this once previously in regards to the mach in my 98. I did the solder thing with no luck. Got a new power inverter board and that alone didn't work. Ended up soldering something else and installing the new inverter board and now my display works great. Unfortunately most of the...
  5. R

Steering Knock

I was getting a slight knock at low acceleration as well as when coming to a stop. On further inspection , while stopped I get the same light clunking when turning the steering wheel left. It starts clunking as I turn it and clunks faster/slower based on the speed at which I turn the wheel. It...
  6. R

MPG Tips

The idea is that with warmer air entering the intake, the computer leans the fuel mixture a bit. Here is a guy with a saturn who is getting over 50mpg with some modifications including a warm air intake. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74808
  7. R

Idle Cabin Vibration

While idling at a stop, I get some fairly steady cabin vibration. I'm thinking this is probably a motor mount but I'm not sure which or all or even any? Is there a specific mount that goes bad first or more than others? I have a 98 EB AWD 5.0 - Thanks guys.
  8. R

Which Fuel Injector cleaner

Berrynans B12 Chemtool, then run a few tanks of fuel then Seafoam.
  9. R

Audi TT VS. Lexus IS300

My vote is for the S2000 ;)
  10. R

98 EB V8: manifold leak? "sound" during accel

My 98 5.0 is making the same kind of sound until warmed up, and even then a slight ping like noise. In my case, the manifold gasket is clearly broken on the driver side. Not taken a close look at the passenger side yet, but will probably be replacing both gaskets. If I went with TM...
  11. R

pcv valve

I used a parts store generic pcv valve and it made my 5.0 run worse than it previously had. I replaced it with the stock unit, in my case ev152. It was $8 or so and runs/idles well again. I would get a second opinion on that price as the ev225 doesn't appear to be much different. Mine came with...
  12. R

Tranny Fluid Change 98 5.0 AWD

I was looking into replacing all my tranny fluid with Mobil 1. I was a bit concerned about getting the fluid out of the torque converter, but it seems the converter has it's own drain plug. If I drain the tranny fluid, and then drain the converter via that plug, will I be getting pretty much...
  13. R

Front Rotors and Pads -

Hmm thanks for the walk through.. That doesn't look especially easy..
  14. R

Front Rotors and Pads -

I have a 98 AWD 5.0 with ABS.. I'm wanting to swap the front pads and rotors. Is this a difficult job? I've done this before on 2wd vehicles without ABS. Is it much harder? Does anything other than pads and rotors need to be replaced while I'm in there? Does having ABS mean the system needs to...
  15. R

5.0 PCV Valve swap -

I'm trying to swap the pcv valve in my 98 AWD 5.0. I have a general idea of where to find it (between the firewall and engine about in the middle), but I can't seem to get a hand on it to pull the old one out. Is there a tip or trick to swapping this? Any angle that I can see it from?
  16. R

Dual outlet exhaust 5.0

Prefer a true dual system. Seems someone would make one since there are 2 downpipes and 2 cats etc..
  17. R

Dual outlet exhaust 5.0

Anyone know of a decent aftermarket exhaust system for the 5.0 that has dual outlet?
  18. R

transfer case fluid

Will mobil 1 ATF work for the Transfer Case?
  19. R

How to: Wire in Factory Sub to Aftermarket Stereo

Looks like.. Makes me want to give some consideration to aftermarket again. As long as I can get all the steering wheel controls working, I can live without the rear stereo controls.
  20. R

PCV spewing oil?

I was also asking about mine which is a 5.0 not a 4.0.
  21. R

PCV spewing oil?

This is on a 5.0. The oil fill tube is where you would add oil to the vehicle. Halfway down that oil fill tube is a piece of hose running to the intake tubing. The opening on that intake tubing is oily.
  22. R

PCV spewing oil?

I've actually run these on my other vehicles, but I can't see why I would need one between the intake tubing and the oil fill. For that matter I don't fully understand why the oil fill tube, has a hose connecting it to the intake. This doesn't seem like the normal location to install a pcv catch...
  23. R

PCV spewing oil?

I've got the 5.0, and I also am noticing a bunch of oil coming into the intake via the tube that connects the intake and oil filler neck. I'm not sure how much that tube relates to the pcv system, but it seems this started happening after I put in an "advance auto" pcv in place of the original...
  24. R

Front & rear differential fluids

This is also stated in my owners manual. It states 4.0 OHV 4.6 SOHC and 5.0s have lifetime synthetic fluid in the rear along with an additives package that doesn't require changing unless the diff needs to be serviced or has been submerged in water. Based on the opinions here that doesn't...
  25. R

5.0L Motor Oil capacity

In all of my vehciles, I've always gotten an extra quart to pour through the crankcase after draining the old oil and before putting the drain plug back on. Usually gets rid of some of the nasty black oil remains before filling it up with new/clean oil.
Back