Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Front end noise.

I found the prefect solution to the problem...get rid of the POS and buy a nice 2002 Dodge RAM 1500 like I did a month ago.
  2. K

Traded the explorer in today.

Dan - A little harsh there! It's cool though, the way you feel about Dodge is the way I feel about ford. They make the absolute worst vehicles except maybe daewoo or yugo but not far behind. I bet daewoo and yugo had better service though. I'm glad you are lucky enough to have good enough...
  3. K

Traded the explorer in today.

I couldn't hold back in getting a 2002 Dodge RAM 1500 (that and my wife finally gave in to my whining). That truck is just too sweet and the explorer was a $hitbox for me. I'm not sad to see the stupid thing go. That was the last ford I'll ever own. So I guess I will not need this board...
  4. K

Engine Idle Racing

Glad to hear that was the fix. It is amazing how something like that can have such a big effect.
  5. K

Engine Idle Racing

A while back my 98 SOHC was doing everything you described. It turned out to be a bad thermostat.
  6. K

Need help deciding on an Explorer to buy

My suggestion would be to stay away from any and all explorers. I've had nothing but problems with my 98 SOHC and the value of it has fell through the floor and down through the basement and about 6' under that. I bought it for $19,900 a couple years ago (it was $1,000.00 under black book...
  7. K

Is it just me...

Robert - Thank you for the info. I called the service team leader up today and pretty much got into a shouting match with him, the service manager, and the technician about the whole thing. They do not believe me that there is a TSB or any other info about the torsion bar adjusters as you gave...
  8. K

Is it just me...

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't know why I have such problems with the Ford dealers in my area but I have gone to every one in my area and none of them seem to be helpful. So it may not be a Ford thing but the Ford dealers around here have given me a bad taste in my mouth that I'd...
  9. K

Is it just me...

Or do I have the worst Ford service center on earth? I've got this front end clunking noise that has been driving me nuts for the longest time now. After reading several posts here I decided it's got to be the torsion bar adjusters. I call my dealer and tell them I want to bring it in to get...
  10. K

Front end noise.

At this point nothing is off the wall to me. I have not checked that. I might just give that a try and the motor mounts too.
  11. K

Front end noise.

Well the noise/clunk has now shifted to the passenger side and much worse. I was at the ford dealer the other day to get an alignment done and asked them to take a look at it again. First they told me that the noise is because of the aftermarket suspension parts I have. I had to challenge...
  12. K

Stange Sounds... IAC?

RammaR - Yeah I have a KKM but it was making the whistling noise long before I got it. It hasn't gotten any worse since getting my KKM either. One of the many times I have had it at the dealer:hammer:, they told me that the noise was the planetaries spinning and there is nothing out there to...
  13. K

Stange Sounds... IAC?

Same with me. The more throttle I give, the louder it gets. Also, I forgot to mention it but the noise with mine happens during idle and driving. It happens ALL the time. Some day maybe I'll figure it out.
  14. K

Stange Sounds... IAC?

Well I have a whistling/hissing/ whatever you want to call it noise, kinda of sounds like a supercharger but not quite as loud. So far I have had the power steering fluid flushed and replaced with new, had the tranny fluid flushed and replaced with new, changed fluid in transfer case and...
  15. K

Effects of lowering?

You would turn the bolts counter-clockwise...just as you would when you loosen a typical bolt (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey). Might need some wd40 to help loosen them bolts though. It's really easy to do. I just jacked up one side and loosened the bolt then the other and took a tape to measure...
  16. K

playing card in spokes

I wonder if this is the problem happening with my 98 Sport (except the noise comes from the driver's side). For about 6-7 months now I have had this noise that can really only be noticed at lower speeds at like moving idle-15 mph. The ford dealer :hammer: here had it in the shop for about 40...
  17. K

Consumer Beware!

I guess I'm on of the few lucky ones. I ordered clear corners from them and they came no problem...just took 13 days but that was UPS becasue I tracked it everyday day and they shipped the day after I ordered.
  18. K

Alignment Question

Today I lowered the front of my 98 Sport (to level it off with the sagging rear) by backing off the torsion bar bolts. From every post I've seen about this method of lowering I always see that you should get an alignment done afterwards. Well no places in my area were able to fit me in today...
  19. K

Nothing to do with Ford but...

It's what Dodge claims to have on that beast.
  20. K

Nothing to do with Ford but...

If I had the money I'd ditch the Explorer and pick up this sweet piece of equipment: Dodge RAM SRT-10 8.3 liter, V-10 500 Hp! 500 lb.- ft torque! 0-60: 5 secs 0-80: 9 secs 1/4 mile: 12.9 sec @ 106 mph top speed 150 mph 24" wheels!!! Sorry if I wasted space and your time but that...
  21. K

O/D off light flashing? Help!

I had the same problem on my 98 SOHC. It turned out to be the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid that went bad. tpalm had a TSB for this and you might want to look to see if it's for the same years by doing a search for tpalm. The total for me to get it fixed was about $250.00 most of it for labor.
  22. K

Shackles

Van I. Did you say 2 or 22 people? That thing kicked my ass and I didn't even get them out and new ones on. I got the bolts loosened and each one 99% of the way out but they wouldn't come out all the way. I tried banging the hell out of them but no luck. Then my wife came home and wanted to...
  23. K

Shackles

Man you people are amazing!! I was just coming on here to ask how the hell I would go about adding shackles to my 98 Sport so I can get rid of the rear end sag. Thanks for the info on how to do the change DannyD28. Got any idea about how long it should take to do the job? The wheels can stay...
  24. K

Clunking Sound

I had a clunking sound coming from what felt like the rear of my 98 Sport. It was the drive shaft slip yoke that needed to be lubricated. 1 hour of labor charged by the Ford dealer - no parts.
  25. K

O/D OFF light flashing

Actually it was the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid. Sorry about that.
Back