Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Replacement struts

40,000 miles ago replaced my strurts and springs with monroe quick struts. The family is complaining about ride being too sponge. If I replace again would like to get some feed back on other brands would not do monroe again. Our family likes sporty frimer ride type. We all have to replace these...
  2. A

Fuel saving tire's(Low rolling resistence)

Thanks LX 20,s ECO plus are the ones I was looking for some feedback on would like to know your experience
  3. A

Tire comparisons

BFGood Ridge I am running BFG long trail T/A They are good all round. The snow traction is a strong point Have 40,000 them and still going strong this is likely last winter for them
  4. A

Advice from veteran 2002 explorer owners

Get out If you compare yours to mine you did great! Mine has 92000 on it got it 6 years ago with 34000 miles TO date it has had the following major work New tranny new transfer case both front hubs both rear wheel bearings 4 broken coil springs replaced and struts It has been the worst...
  5. A

Road Tires

Drive train My 02 has been less then good from the time I got it with only 34,000 miles on it. That said I have replaced both front hubs and both rear wheel bearings Each of these items improved the drive train but it is still not the best I have had.
  6. A

Fuel saving tire's(Low rolling resistence)

Has any one with the older models upgraded to the newer tire's and did you see improved MPG and what brand did you use
  7. A

Reliablity of 3rd gen Explorers? (02-05) questionable?

I give my 02 mount good functional markes but it it has big quality problems Mine has less then 60k miles on it and it has had new trany,transfer case, front wheel hubs and borken rear spings both sides. Too me that is unacceptable and has left me with a bad feeling about Ford.
  8. A

started to really like this truck

I don't agree. They advertised it to tow 7000+ and they should have built it too or not advertized it too. This is what gives them a bad name and causes ford to lose market share and close plants. they do the whole country a dis service when they build a poor product. It has a tow package add...
  9. A

started to really like this truck

2002 mount is no quality giant either Following this tread is funny. My 2002 V8 Merc is a love hate. I love the funtion and ability to carry 7 people. It does a great job towing my 6500 pound boat BUT!. In its 45000 mile life it has had New transmissin, 2 new front hubs a failed transfer...
  10. A

AWD conversion to switchable transfer

I did research the site and their is no mention of 3rd gen conversions. I really like the truck in 2 wheel drive. The powertrain is so much quieter it is unbelieveable. I really only need 4 wheel 6 to 10 times in winter. I hoped I could bolt the 4 wheel case in and put a simple switch under the...
  11. A

AWD conversion to switchable transfer

I have 2002 Merc AWD with a bad Transfer case. I am using it without the front drive shaft. Before winter I would like to install the Explorer switchable case. Has anyone done this? Does it just bolt in using same drive shafts?
  12. A

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

what is your noise like I have 02 Merc AWD and think I have a problem with front left bearing or CV jont. Trying to figure out which one. Mine wines and get loudest around 50 to 60 miles per hour. If i put a slight left turn it get worse and I feel a litle rumble in steering wheel. When I put...
Back