Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Torque converter fitting/allignment 5R55E

I'm replacing my tranny and the Torque Converter doesn't seem to fit right. I slide it on to the pump, twist and wiggle a bit and it drops into the notches and spins freely. The shaft that goes into the FlyWheel sticks out about 1/4" past the Bell Housing... right about where the shaft widens...
  2. G

Plz help troubleshoot 5R55E 97 4x4 4.0L

My wifes X wouldn't move in any gear the other day. Fluid was darker than it should be but still a reddish brown. Smelled a little burnt but not too strong. She said there were no warning symptoms and the O/D light never flashed. It would limp around if you turned it off, let it sit, and...
  3. G

What transmissions will fit my 97 4x4 4.0L XLT

That helps a lot! Thanks.
  4. G

What transmissions will fit my 97 4x4 4.0L XLT

Did a little reading but my head hurts already... can someone please accelerate my learning curve? I think I have the 5R55E and I'm looking for a bolt on swap. I'm ok with modding/adapting sensors or some other minor adjustments to make one fit... just don't want to do anything extensive like...
  5. G

Swapping engines need advice

I just did this swap and worked around all the issues you're about to face. It's not hard but this will probably save you some time if you know what to look for going in... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191529 I'll post some pics also.
  6. G

I used the 98 wiring. The outside of the connector is a little beefier and nicer on the 03 but the fit is exactly the same. I know b/c I broke off one of the tabs on the 98 connector and I had to swap one out from the 03. Even the color coding is the same. The injectors are the same...
  7. G

Do you guys know just how much of a difference there is between the two injectors? I just finished a '98 to '03 swap and I used the injectors from the '03. I thought they changed in '04 to 24 lbs. (from 19 lbs.). Mine was out of tune a little when it first fired up but it fluctuated for...
  8. G

4.0L SOHC Engine Swap... 97/98/99/00/01/02/03 Motor Interchange

I recently finished my ‘98 to ‘03 swap and everything is working as it should. :) There are a few more things (other than what’s listed above) that are different about the engines… You have to use your old exhaust manifolds. The newer manifolds use studs instead of bolts but that’s not a...
  9. G

another 4.0lsohc question

I think it was either '02 or '03. I know it wasn't '00. :(
  10. G

4.0L SOHC Engine Swap... 97/98/99/00/01/02/03 Motor Interchange

4.0L SOHC Engine Swap... 97/98/99/00/01/02/03 Motor Interchange (w/ photos) Hey all, I have a clean '98 Explorer 4x4 w/ a 3" body lift on 30" Cross Terrains. At about 150k it started a rattle in the rear cassette. New tensioners didn't help & I opted not to pull the motor, buy the tools...
Back