Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Continental tires..my experience

Let me try to make this more clear. First of all this is not an Explorer. I am trying to make the Buyer beware. The vehicle originally had good years tires on it. Model? I don't remember. This SUV is light in the rear end and would slip getting out of my driveway. Didn't stop it but would spin...
  2. B

Continental tires..my experience

General grabbers 15000 miles and shot. Continental Cross Contact 10000 miles and shot. In the first instance they prorated 2 of the 4 tires. My most recent experience was with the Cross contacts which I purchased after the grabbers were useless. I purchased the CC tires in the last week of...
  3. B

98 Explorer-starting issue

I figured I was good with fuel filter since changed not quite a year ago until local mechanic recommends changing them every 15000 on old vehicles. Keeps the pressure down on the fuel pumps.
  4. B

The starter was cooked! New starter and all is good again. Had a talk with the kid about running a 12 year vehicle under 1/4 tank. Dirt/moisture/12 year old fuel pump etc etc. We'll see if he listens. My guess is fuel pump will be the next issue. Thanks to all who helped!
  5. B

It wouldn't be the sensor because the engine needs to crank first before the sensor could keep it from starting. My engine is not cranking. I have 12 volts on the starter and it's solenoid when the ignition is in start but the starter does nothing. Looks like it's time for a new starter...
  6. B

Thanks for the reply. I didn't check inertia switch because the starter is not even cranking. Not even getting the "click" from the starter solenoid when trying to start. Just a click from the relay in the PDC box under the hood. I'm thinking maybe the starter is engaged with the flywheel...
  7. B

Follow up from original post: Took battery to autozone for test and it failed. Purchased new battery. Still not cranking. Found out the last time it tried to crank, the starter grinded because of frustration level of not starting, was cycling ignition real fast. So it looks like it's...
  8. B

My son went to start his vehicle and it wouldn't start. Was trying to but wouldn't. Low and behold the gas level is on "E". Probably out of gas. Added gas and then tried to start but it won't turn over. No click. No response from starter or engine. From turning over fine to nothing with one turn...
  9. B

Air Bag Help

I appreciate the replies. Can you tell me where I'll find the sensors so I can check the wiring out? Probably the drivers side is my problem since that is where it took the hit.
  10. B

Air Bag Help

Thanks for the reply. Yes the fender is creased but the door is good. The headlight mounts are all busted, grill etc etc. 3 month old radiator is still good though!!! That's a plus. Just worried about air bags going off at some unoppurtune time.
  11. B

Air Bag Help

My kid slid off the road and hit a tree. Not dead on but pushed the Driver's side bumper in to the point it rubs the tire when you turn right. My concern now is the air bag light is on. Is it possible for the air bag to deploy out of nowhere while driving? Can I pull a fuse to disable it...
  12. B

97 Explorer Fuel Tank

Did you ever find one? I'm in need of one also.
  13. B

anti theft starting/stalling problems?

Is it stalling only when you have your foot off the gas? Could be the IAC starting to act up. If the plunger for the IAC is sticking, it won't throw an error code.
  14. B

Error code 455-Gross leak

Finally, 200+ miles and no more error code. My final fix was to cut the neck back to good metal. Finding the same Diameter hose was impossible. None of the parts stores carried it and the stealership would only sell me the entire neck/hose assembly for $265.00. A local equipment rental place...
  15. B

Purchasing decision - 1998 Explorer Sport (Auto)

Just search "Radio Display"
  16. B

96 xlt AWD fuel tank ?

I just did them on a 98 xlt. Of course the hose clamps were rusted to the point you couldn't turn them so I cut them off with a pair of diagonal cutters. You can also remove 3 screws at the gas cap to drop the fill neck and give yourself a little more play.
  17. B

Purchasing decision - 1998 Explorer Sport (Auto)

I have a 98 4.0 SOHC. I like it alot. 140,000 miles and no big issues as of yet...knock on wood. The radio display is also an easy fix. Check the forums for more info. Good luck and welcome.
  18. B

Tanks for the info. I found an online junkyard that has a neck for $60.00 delivered. I'm waiting on one more price from another online junkyard. Still didn't price one locally. I'll use the online prices for bargaining power. I'm probably going to cut back the old one first and use a longer hose...
  19. B

'96 exploder dies randomly

Understand I'm not even close to being a mechanic but I noticed you haven't mentioned fuel pump. I know there are posts in here about testing fuel pressure. If it were me I'd check that out.
  20. B

Well while putting gas in the tank yesterday, I bent down and looked into the wheel well just for the heck of it and now I have gas on the frame just below the clamps I put on the filler neck and my CEL is back on. I'm trying to find a filler neck online but I can't find one for an Explorer. I'm...
  21. B

Brake part advice

I live in N.E. Pa and my daily travel takes me down some long steep grades. I find my brakes work fine until they heat up on the down grades which is on a daily basis. Once they heat up they pulse and if they heat up enough they seem to pull back and forth. Anyone with similiar driving...
  22. B

Fuel filler neck

98 4.0 SOHC XLT I need a fuel filler neck and was wondering if anyone knew what years of explorers would be the same? I hate to go to the junk yard for a filler neck as rotted as mine. My other option is to cut my filler neck back and install a longer hose but I'd rather get a newer neck. Any...
  23. B

1996 Explorer Power Window Fix

Just a heads up to all: This is a great forum but if you post your problem inside the post of someone else's problem, chances are not a lot of people will see it. Also be specific with your post. One problem at a time. So start a new post with the problem you want fixed first and you'll be...
  24. B

Central locking problems

Hope this helps someone. I have a 4 door and I couldn't lock from drivers door but I could unlock. The other doors were fine at the time. In time it would have been the same thing on the passengers side. My problem was a splice in the "Lock" wires, Pink/Yellow. The only splice point for...
  25. B

This is another check point for the annoying error code 455. "Gross vapor leak in the Evaporator System". This code usually points to the gas cap as a first check. If the cap isn't the problem, the filler neck, as was the problem for me is a check point. I have a 98 XLT 4.0 SOHC. Upon...
Back