Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

2 hoses on pcv valve?

Don't let the plastic fool you! I bought a PCV for my '94 that has the double-90 plastic attachment on it, but discovered that my engine has the single-straight, all-metal PCV in the valve cover. I removed the plastic double-90 attachment (broke it off, actually) and found that the new PCV...
  2. T

Vibration at 65mph

http://www.explorer4x4.com/faq.htm#vibration
  3. T

New wheel bearings loosening quickly

lonestar: yes, those are the ones for your Exp. Mine are the same spindles, but with notches for the ABS sensors. mhatten: Can't say for sure, those aren't the exact symptoms I had, because mine would tighten up with a spindle nut adjustment, but after less than five miles it would be loose...
  4. T

Any gap I referred to in posts above was to inner the RACES, which usually come already pressed into the rotor. Turns out that wasn't my problem all along, though. My problem was worn spindles. After replacing the spindles, I could've put the auto hubs back on and they would've worked fine...
  5. T

Tranny flush question.....

Easy, clean, cheap I performed the shadetree tranny flush last night--worked like a charm. Because I don't know the history of the vehicle (and because I like to be thorough), I dropped the pan & replaced the filter, AND flushed the fluid. After replacing the pan I added about as much fluid...
  6. T

Verdict: It was the spindles. They were worn on the bottom side (as one would expect) on both sides and under both the inner and outer races. I don't think any one bearing seized to cause the wear; I think the bearings were given freedom to move side-to-side and wore themselves a groove that...
  7. T

Source for spindles?

Yeah, after shopping around, I found that my local Dana/Spicer dealer wants $157 each. I called the Ford dealer again and insisted that the spindles they said were discontinued now have a new replacement part and number, and after hunting they found some to sell me at $400+. I bought the...
  8. T

Source for spindles?

Thanks, Shorty. I called some local dealers, and the one who found them said that the original part was discontinued, and there is a replacement part for them. He wanted $157+tax for each one. BroncoGraveyard.com is $129 each + shipping. Shorty, what did you pay for yours, and how long ago...
  9. T

Source for spindles?

No other sources for these spindles?
  10. T

Source for spindles?

Kyle, my truck has spindles. These models have a spindle bolted to the knuckle, and the spindle is large and hollow to pass an axle through it. See the pic in the link...
  11. T

Source for spindles?

Does anyone have a good source for new spindles for a 4wd? Here is the only source I've found so far. (Also, what does TTB stand for in that product title?) The Ford house says they are obsolete, and I'd like to buy new ones. If you're wondering why I'm replacing them, check this thread.
  12. T

Skydiver, thanks for the suggestions. The bearings have been installed/adjusted as you described (several times). The spindle is tight--I replaced the inner spindle bearing, so the spindles were removed and replaced into cleaned mating surfaces, and torqued down properly. I still think the...
  13. T

capecod: What's a D-44 nut? Well, I replaced the bearings and races again. Then, at the 200-mile mark they needed tightening, so I did. And they needed tightening soon again after that, but I didn't. I've been driving them for the last 3,000 miles w/o tightening and they are the same. They...
  14. T

The locknut should be able turn a little with the key in the slot--that's OK. Play between the locknut & key isn't the concern, it's the play between the bearings & races. Update on my loosening bearings: Seems I've developed a groan at the front that is not brake-related. Of course my...
  15. T

When to change the spindle bearing ?

Point the slide hammer's claws inward. Thread the nut onto the spindle and hook the puller on it. Then point the claws outward and slip them inside the bearing. You'll need a slide hammer set that has some small claws for this part. The seals I bought were NAPA part numbers NOS13144...
  16. T

When to change the spindle bearing ?

I replaced my spindle bearings a few weeks ago. Here's what I learned: 1) Two words: slide hammer! Use it to pull the spindle off the knuckle, and then the bearing out of the spindle. Harbor Freight has a 5-lb set that works great. I bought that set used at a pawn shop for $15 (some parts...
  17. T

Can seats be reversed?

As far as upholstery goes, the covers are just snap-on slip covers over molded foam. The foam in both seat bottoms is the same, and you can switch them so that the broken-down thigh boltsers are on the inboard side (less noticeable). The upholstery on the seat bottom is specific to each side...
  18. T

Why doesn't my new thermostat have this?

BB, as far as temp range, they were the same (old one was a 91C and new one is a 195). The old one must've been opening early, because it wasn't stuck open when I took it out. But my question is: Why would this engine need a bleeder when all the others I've ever worked on didn't?
  19. T

Interesting. At the time of this photo, the Stant had already been installed. Is the bleeder critical? What can I expect different without it? BTW, I'm glad to see the t-stat replacement did what I was trying to accomplish. Before, with the Motorcraft t-stat, my needle moved between the...
  20. T

The Motorcraft (made in Germany?!?) thermostat that I removed from my motor has a check valve near the shoulder. Maybe it's because I'm a GM guy, but I've never seen one of these before. I understand this is a pressure bleeder of sorts? So my question is: Why does my Stant HD thermostat I...
  21. T

Non-working automatic hubs now work

I knew this thread was going to light up. :) LOL I've been that guy before, but never due to the hubs I'm running. :) I appreciate everyone's concerns for us auto hub guys--I think we get the point. :thumbsup: As of today, though, my autos have worked 100% of the time. When they stop...
  22. T

LOL, farmers tend to get a chuckle out of city boys who lock their hubs every time they leave pavement--I don't want to be that guy. I leave the pavement several times a day, and in West Texas seldom need my 4wd. But when I need it, I need it. :)
  23. T

No doubt--they're a stronger, more dependable setup. I'm mostly going places on other peoples' land where I've never been before, and mud can suddenly appear under me from out of nowhere [read: I wasn't paying attention ;) ] so I like the "last-minute, effortless engage" option. Call me...
  24. T

Well, I'm taking my chances. After one more adjustment, my LH bearings stopped loosening, and after two more my RH stayed put. I assume this is because my races finally seated. I'm going to at least get what I can out of these bearings (I'm watching them closely) before I give up on them...
  25. T

Thanks for the voice of experience. I've noticed a few folks around here don't think very highly of auto hubs. I'm hoping to preserve mine as long as I can. I use my Ex as a work vehicle, and need it to reach tractors in the field. Even though I might get dirty while I'm working on site, I...
Back