Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Difference in transmissions from 93-2001? (V8 vs. V6?)

Both my parents drive explorers. My Dad a 93 and my Mom a 2000 4x4 V6. Is the transmission the same in those two cars? I know the 4x4 has a transfer case but other than that is the actually tranny the same? My reason for asking is there is a local guy parting out a 98 V8 Explorer and was...
  2. T

Roomates transmission is acting wierd

Its a 95 2wd I went and drove it and the thing doesnt want to shift into the next gear unless you let almost completely off the gas. Also the "O/D off" is blinking which mean service soon according to the manual. Checked fluid level and everything looked good. Truck has 105,000 miles on the...
  3. T

mixing rubber bushings with poly???

Thanks guys. Brian, you have a PM. Alec, sorry for the double post
  4. T

Replacing front radial arm bushings on a 93 (2WD)...hard or easy?

Just wondering what I am getting myself into. This is on my Moms 93 BTW, not the one in my sig. I have to replace that rubber bushing that apparently gets heated up and killed by the heat from the cat. I notice there is a bracket that is attached to the frame that "houses" the bushing. It...
  5. T

mixing rubber bushings with poly???

This is on my Moms 93 explorer. The passengers front radius arm (runs from the spindle to the rear of the car) bushing has crapped out. Apparently its a common problem as the Cat is right there so it heats up that one side. I went to the parts store, and they have one that is polyurethane...
  6. T

preventative maintenance (transmission)

Thats EXACTLY what I was looking for..Thanks Trevor! I didn't know it was that involved but I think I could hande doing that.
  7. T

Thanks for the tips..So is flushing the transmission something I can do myself? If so how? And what would I need?
  8. T

I was wondering what all I could do to service my Explorer's Transmission. Its not really acting bad, but I have put about 10,000 miles on it and dont have a clue when the previous owner serviced it. I am a firm believer in preventative maitenance. Any recommendations as to what type/brand of...
  9. T

DIY'ers gotta do the rear brakes on my 96 (got some ?s)

Thanks James Last question yet unanswered it what pads I should get?!?!? Should I get carbon metalics or organic? Any bad experiences with a particular brand?
  10. T

Thanks Robb! Glad to hear that I dont have to bust open the lines...cause when you do, that immediately makes it a two person job. (yes I do have friends to help me, its just they will all be at work when I am working on my X) ;)
  11. T

Any North Texas People Interested

Yup that was definetly the case with me! Chris, I might be in Plano this weekend visiting the parents (I grew up in Plano). Not 100% sure though at this point. If I do, I may stop by and lend a hand.
  12. T

CA $0.50 gas tax increase

Just recently they made ALL the freeways 55mph in Houston...does anyone follow it? NO!! Alot of time I will be going with the flow of traffic and will be going about 70! Also it doenst seem like the cops are making a huge point to stop this. Afterall, they cant pull over everyone on the...
  13. T

I am going to tackle this project my self and had a few questions. 1. What pads should I buy and how much are they normally...any brands to avoid? 2. Can the Rear rotors usually be turned? I keep on hearing that the rotors on newer cars are use once and throw away. 3. Is it possible to...
  14. T

rough riding in the front...please help!!

It seems like something is not right with the front supension on my X. It vibrates hard when going over bumps and the hrd vibration is even velt/seen in the steering wheel. Naturally, I thoght is was the shocks so I replaced them....didnt really help. Is there another common "wearable" part...
  15. T

My Ex is sagging on the driver's side rear

Thats a good idea, ill try it
  16. T

Sagging problem in the drivers side rear

I have heard that this is a fairly common problem as the gas tank is on the driver side. Would a bad shock cause it to sag like that? My thinking is not (though I might need to replace them anyways). Anyone have any insight into this? I suppose I could put a small block(spacer) to lift it...
  17. T

My Ex is sagging on the driver's side rear

I have heard that this is a fairly common problem as the gas tank is on the driver side. Would a bad shock cause it to sag like that? My thinking is not (though I might need to replace them anyways). Anyone have any insight into this? I suppose I could put a small block to lift it up just...
  18. T

Shocks: What brand and ease of installation? (96)

Sweet! just by glancing at it quickly, it looked pretty easy. Though I know with cars what may appear easy is not always so!
  19. T

Shocks: Brand and ease of install? (96)

All the local stores here have Gabriels. My Explorer is stock ride heght and I am not looking to spend alot of money. I spend all my money on the stang Just want a stock replacement cause right now it rides like crap! My other question is how hard is it to change out the front shocks? Will I...
  20. T

Shocks: What brand and ease of installation? (96)

All the local stores here have Gabriels. My Explorer is stock ride heght and I am not looking to spend alot of money. I spend all my money on the stang;) Just want a stock replacement cause right now it rides like crap! My other question is how hard is it to change out the front shocks...
  21. T

Easy to adjust the front ride height on 96 explorers

Cool Stephen, thanks...I assume you need to get the weight off the wheel before adjusting or does it not matter???
  22. T

Easy to adjust the front ride height on 96 explorers

Easy to adjust the front ride height on 96 explorers? Someone told me it was very simple to change the ride height in the front of the 96+ Explorers because of the torsion bar setup. It seems like the front left on my exp is a little low so I was wondering what all would be involved in raising...
  23. T

Is there a special tool to get lines off the fuel filter

Thanks Jdraper! Thats what I thought, but just figured I would check before making a trip. Toad, Yup they are the same
  24. T

Is there a special tool to get lines off the fuel filter

I sure do hope so, because I dont think I can pull on them any harder! They are different than on my Mustang because those come off with just a little bit of effort. And before someone says it...yes I took the "safety clips" off. Anyone?
  25. T

What brand trailer hitch should I get?

also at what point is it not good to use the bumber and therefore should use a Class 123 hitch? I plan on towing my Mustang to the drag strip on a full car trailer. I went to U haul and they have a nice tubular design that was about 160 bucks. Are there any other places or brands that you...
Back