Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

2010 Limited V8 Front end noise/hum driver side - stumped now after several attempted fixes.

Truck is finally back in my hands! Again, the shop was backlogged for a few weeks and I didn't need the truck so I just left it there. They replaced the rear right bearing assembly and speed sensor and the truck drives like it just came off the showroom floor. Now, don't forget, I replaced both...
  2. A

2010 Limited V8 Front end noise/hum driver side - stumped now after several attempted fixes.

Yeah its not the diff in this case. They put it up on the rack and isolated the sound to the rear right bearing. Just hasn't been fixed yet because they are jam packed for another week. I'll report once it's really fixed and I have driven it and know the sound is gone!
  3. A

So an update on this. A buddy and me put the truck up on a lift a few weeks ago and found the rear brakes in really bad shape. I have had warped rotors before cause a "Wha wha" type sound, and since the breaks needed replacing anyways, we did the job. That did not fix the noise (it was wishful...
  4. A

Hum does not seem to change while turning. Going to take for another test drive shortly and see if 4wd use has any change on noise. Have not checked diff fluid level will also do that. Rear bearings I am almost positive are original so I do realize they are due and most likely will be the next...
  5. A

Hi All - scanned through lots of threads and done three repairs now and I can't figure this out. 2010 V8 Limited, 145,000 miles So, started hearing a hum/whaa whaa wha type sound between 45 and 55 mph about six months ago. Reasoned my new tires needed to be rotated, so I rotated them (which...
  6. A

Anyone with warranty success over broken manifold studs/exhaust leak?

Yeah completely agree...I am a bit worried as my truck has now basically been through like a major surgery, but hoping that's just the end of it. I'll keep as close of an eye on it as I can. Was also quite curious as to why the transmission was removed - but it is well beyond my knowledge...
  7. A

Well, it took 41 days in the shop but I just returned home with the truck. I paid $100 plus tax. Service writer said warranty rate on the work was in the upper three thousand range...non warranty rate most likely would have made it a deal breaker. Nice seeing those shiny new studs in there...
  8. A

Well, the truck has been in the shop just shy of six weeks now. It finally made it up onto the rack about two weeks ago. The tear down and parts estimate was completed Wednesday October 30th and submitted to Ford ESP for warranty coverage. Finally last week on Wednesday the service writer let...
  9. A

Would you just be better off with a new cylinder head at this point? I have no idea what one costs! Just curious.
  10. A

My truck has essentially sat at the dealership for three weeks. It was diagnosed early on, then the tech working on it was too busy to get back to it. A spot was supposed to free up for it on Monday, but the part that was supposed to come in for the truck in said spot did not materialize. SOOO...
  11. A

Alright so I finally heard some stuff on the truck Tuesday. Definitely three broken bolts, which I knew, but now the dealership has confirmed leakage on each side...so problem verified. Now, here is where it gets tricky. The room to work on/extract the studs as the engine sits there is little...
  12. A

Well I dropped it off at the dealership today. Told the service writer I am down to five out of eight studs and I have basically confirmed the leak on my own. I also showed her the written warranty and where it explicitly says that it covers exhaust manifold and bolts. So - I should find out...
  13. A

I know man, so sick of this issue. This truck is so nice though. It was super clean when I bought it, and remains that way, plus being the 2010 it has lots of nice newer features like bluetooth...you know, modern smart phone era stuff that my 2007 just didn't have. What I hate is that I have...
  14. A

Beyond that unfortunately. Bought in 2017 with 87,000 now just around 110,000. ESP covers until 135,000 miles.
  15. A

So I have a 2010 V8 Limited I bought two years ago to replace an 07 V8 EB with several broken manifold studs and a pretty noticeable exhaust leak. When I bought the 2010, I verified that all manifold studs were there and in tact. As I sit today, I can already count that half of them are...
  16. A

Two 4th Generation Explorers, Same two issues on both

Thanks JAWIT! 3M product arrived from Amazon today...I'll give it a try once its a bit warmer out.
  17. A

Good Point thebrakeman...I'll check those rear vents. A lot of the time though I am running with all the back seats flat, and the area right behind the center console is a great place for a water bottle, but that usually gets real warm fast. Maybe I should try setting the back vents to cooler...
  18. A

Hi everyone, So I am on my second 4th gen explorer. First one was a 2007 Eddie Bauer V8 and my current one is a 2010 Limited V8. On each truck I have ran into the same two annoying issues: Very annoying wind noise coming right at the same level as my left ear when driving. Have tried...
  19. A

Question about V8 exhaust leaks

I was quoted $1600 before the snapped bolts. This was for all new studs and bolts, two new manifolds, gaskets and shields. Once four snap offs per side were discovered, it obviously changed drastically!
  20. A

Yep black pearl slate metallic all around, no trim color. The interior is black leather, but the top half on the roof liner etc is like cream/tan. The black pearl slate is a neat color...its black, Navy blue and Grey all in one kind of.
  21. A

Not Cherry, I just called it that because I used to be in car sales back in the mid 2000's and thats always what we called super nice trade in's. Black Slate! Really nice color. $13,900 was the negotiated price, I felt it was fair.
  22. A

O7eddEB no worries - everything in this thread is really informative, the more information you have on these vehicles the better. My situation on this particular vehicle is now officially over. I bought the 07 in question five years ago for $14,300 and brought it from 57,000 miles to 105,000...
  23. A

Just got mine back...so on the passenger side, when you look down at the manifold now, only one stud is there :( Not sure on the numbering but from the front of the truck, #8, #7 and #5 top studs are broken flush to cylinder block so nothing to grab onto, would need to find the room to drill...
  24. A

Yeah exactly! Loud as can be when next to a building...if you are outside your truck you finally go "oh wow that is loud". But also at the same point, yes, I have driven mine like this for a long time, just seemed like it was getting worse and should eventually be taken care of. As for what...
  25. A

Well they are snapped off flush so there must be an access problem because they needed to be drilled out by the sounds of it. I just talked to two highly recommended exhaust shops (by peer mechanics, not customers) and there was no indication of "oh yeah we can do that without pulling the...
Back