Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

How to remove window belt moulding on 2002 Limited?

I've searched online almost two hours and cannot find out how to remove the window belt moulding on my 2002 Limited. All the instructions I find say there's a screw at one end. Mine do not have any screws. To make sure I'm talking about the correct item, it's the strip of rubber and felt that...
  2. M

Parking brake cable routing?

The repair shop messed up and installed the parking brake cable on my 2002 Explorer incorrectly. I've looked quite a bit but cannot find a diagram or photos of how the cable is supposed to be routed. Does anyone know of photos or diagrams that show the routing, specifically near the left rear...
  3. M

Question about reverse sensor codes...

My 2002 Explorer Limited has the reverse sensor malfunction discussed here: Fixed my reverse parking sensor system I pulled the codes and got: C1710 - Rear Inner Right Sensor Fault C1709 - Rear Inner Right Sensor Circuit Failure Are those two codes the same issue, meaning if I replace the...
  4. M

How to troubleshoot battery drain?

I have a one year old battery that sometimes won't have enough power to crank the engine, especially if the vehicle has been sitting several days. I suspect something is draining it. I thought I could use the current draw feature of my VOM, but in attempting to use it, the meter's fuse blew...
  5. M

Broken rear spring: what's the risk of postpoing replacement?

The right rear spring on my 2002 Limited is broken in three places. The breaks are near the ends and the vehicle does not lean noticeably or handle poorly. I know from reading this forum that broken coils are a common problem with these models and I do plan on replacing them. I don't drive...
  6. M

2002 Explorer: vertical mirror motor out on both sides

I just got the vehicle back from the body shop and now the power mirrors do not work vertically on both sides - so I'm assuming it's not the motors. I have found no information on this issue and I'm posting here in case someone has had the same thing happen? If not, I would be grateful if...
  7. M

Where to buy a hood already painted

I have a 2002 Limited that suffered extensive hail damage in May. Due to the volume of hail-damage repairs in my area and the extent of damage to my particular vehicle, I cannot get it into the body shop until February, 2012. I'm not in all that much of a hurry, but if I could just get a...
  8. M

02 Explorer transfer case - do I really need to spend $2500?

Is it possible that there is nothing wrong with the transfer case itself (i.e. it is in "neutral") if: 1) the input to the transfer case can be rotated by hand and the outputs do not rotate? and under the same condition 2) rotating one output by hand the other output rotates? Also, does...
  9. M

Are you referring to the thread "4x4 Shift Motor Rebuild?" http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542
  10. M

I have a 2002 Explorer 4x4 that failed to move when put into gear. I had it towed to my mechanic and they say the transfer case needs replacing at a cost of $2500. This is the 4x4 that has the 4x4 HI, 4x4 LO, and AUTO buttons on the dash. Here is the background: I was loading the vehicle for...
  11. M

Tool to remove engine cover?

I already tried that. The 1/4" extension fits if I apply A LOT of pressure. Then once the screw is removed, I cannot get it off the extension. I suspect the socket is tapered just like the standard #1, #2, etc. square drive screws/bits are. I called my local mechanic (the owner of the shop)...
  12. M

Square drive sets I find go up to only #3 or #4. A #4 is 0.1895" and the socket on my Explorer is 0.25" Doesn't anyone know about a tool for a 2002 engine cover?
  13. M

What is an 8 point socket head? I know what an 8-point socket is but I do not know about an 8 point socket head.
  14. M

My 2002 Explorer's engine cover (V8) is held on with four socket head cap screws, but instead of a hex head (for an Allen wrench), the head socket is square. I've never seen anything like this. What tool is made for this? I guess I could try a flat blade screwdriver and I may do that, but I...
  15. M

02 Explorer A/C issues

There's no Ford listed. Just Acura, Chevrolet, Honda, and Pontiac.
  16. M

02 Explorer A/C issues

Thank you for the welcome. I went to Autozone.com and could not find a place where it shows the vacuum diagram. If you meant the vehicle repair guides, the most recent date is 2000. Any other ideas?
  17. M

02 Explorer A/C issues

I'm having the same problem and I don't find any vacuum diagram under the hood on my 02 Limited. Would it be anywhere else?
Back