Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing Without the Hub

I replaced both of my rear wheel bearings in my 2002 Mountaineer about 9 months ago and it looks like they are gone again. I got those cheap ones in Ebay and may have been those bad quality chinese ones and now I have to redo the whole thing again. When I replaced them I installed a new hub as...
  2. J

Tire Howl

Is it possible that rear tires howl after increasing tire pressure. My tires were low at 25 psi and now at 34 psi but I hear a howling noise in the rear. By the way I replaced the rear wheel bearings 8 months (10,000 miles) ago
  3. J

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

Never mind. I saw the pictures. My computer at work was blocking them.
  4. J

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

Tyler92. The pictures were removed from the posting. Can you please help us out putting them back to be able to follow you directions a but easier. Thanks in advance
  5. J

Rear whinning noise. Rear differential or bearing Problem??

Well. It looks like it may be the rear driver's side bearing going bad. I am not sure 100% yet but that was the only wheel with a little play (not much) when I lifted the car up. Assuming that I have to change that wheel bearing. Should I change both the hub and bearing or only the bearing...
  6. J

Rear whinning noise. Rear differential or bearing Problem??

I have a 2002 Montaineer AWD and the famous rear whinning noise started about a week ago. It starts at around 40 MPH and it gets better at 75 MPH; however, it does not go away. The noise stays if I accelerate or not and even when I change to Neutral while driving, no difference at all. No...
  7. J

front brake job

You do not have to do anything with the front wheel bearing if you are going to replace the brake pads. You only have to remove the two bolts that attach the caliper to the knuckle and can proceed with pad replacement. Caliper bolts torque is 24 lb-ft If you really meant the wheel hub...
  8. J

Front Wheel Bearing

You do not have to buy anything at the store. You have to give $20 deposit to loan it. After you use it you will bring it back and get your $20 bucks back. If you want to keep it, no problem because the tool costs $20 anyway. The tool is on the "Loan a Tool" list. Go to their web page...
  9. J

Front Wheel Bearing

You can get that puller on loan at any autozone store. I just did. I gave a $20 deposit and got it all back a week later, No Problem. It it a lot easier that with wood blocks. You will take the risk of bending the shaft by hitting it.
  10. J

Wheel hub bolt snapped. May need a new wheel knuckle

You are right. I did that and got the hub out. Purchased new bolts at the dealer for $10 all three of them. I'm in good shape now. Thanks
  11. J

Wheel bearing issue

Are you sure is the rear bearing. I had the same issue, it made noise when turning the steering wheel left just a little but it went away if kept turning left. It did not make any noise turning right. I changed the front passenger drive and no change. Then replaced the front driver side and...
  12. J

Wheel hub bolt snapped. May need a new wheel knuckle

Well, all posts about how difficult is to get loose the bolts holding the wheel hub to the knuckle are 100% correct. I changed the wheel hub in the passenger side and it was tough to get those bolts loose but after 4 hours I was done with the replecement. On the driver side one of the bolts...
  13. J

Clutch Pack replacement by other than the dealer?

I have the feeling I would be replacing the rear differential clutch pack soon. I am pretty sure dealers will charge me an arm and a leg. Does anybody have experience with doing this type of work with a local mechanic or a transmission place like Aamco and cost $$$$ of it.
  14. J

Front End Differential Fuid change

I want to change the front end differential fluid and put Mobil 1 75W-90. I put a friction modifier when I changed the rear differential. Is this modifier required for the front end also.
  15. J

Transfer Case Fluid Change

I'm not quite sure where I read about that "center differential", perhaps at one of my google searches. I think I'm clear now with your great help. I'll be changing my oil pretty soon. Thanks
  16. J

Is the transfer case the same as center differential I hear people talking about. I changed the rear differential fluid and want to do change all required fluids for maintenance and make sure I do not put the wrong oil. If the center differential is not the same, where is that located and what...
  17. J

I would like to change the transfer case fluid in my 2002 Mountanieer AWD V58,000 miles. I have just chaged the rear differential fluid, no big deal. Can anybody tell me where the transfer case is located (pictures would be great). How is the fluid changed and what type of fluid to use.
  18. J

rubbing noise when turning???

I went today to Pep Boys and read one of the books. They had a picture of the rear differential, it did not look too bad. I could not figure out from the picture what kind of wrenches and sizes were required to open them up. Do you remember what you used. Is the fluid for the center...
  19. J

Can anybody help explaining how to change the oil in the center and rear differential. Perhaps some pictures and instructions would be great. One other question what is the transfer case and where is located. Sorry for my ignorance in this matter.
  20. J

I am having the same problem with my 2002 Mountaineer. Any suggestion for type of center and rear differential fluid, brand, grade, etc. What additive is the one everybody talks about.
Back