Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

4.0 sohc starter r&r

I can't see it. 1) everything is covered in dirt/rust and it it is hard to see what's what 2) there is not a lot of room at all to remove anything. \ Getting the two bolts out is not hard. I used an air rachet because I have one and it makes life a lot easier but it wasn't that difficult even...
  2. S

4.0 sohc starter r&r

Wow, all I can say is wow. What a Sh$#y design. It's hard enough getting the two bolts out never mind the god for saken wires. I got the two bolts off in about 20 minutes. The large power wire took me about 2 hours. I don't know if it is like this on all explorers but there is essentially no...
  3. S

found this in door, what is it?

Thanks guys I appreciate it! I thought it was like a part from another vehicle they fired In there at the factory :|
  4. S

Ya, I opened the door to investigate why the window Rattles around when rolled down more that 1/4. This would explain it! Thanks!!
  5. S

hey all, I took the door panel off and found this lying at the bottom of the door. It seems like a window guide or soemthing but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere. I took the passenger side panel off to compare but I can't find the part anywhere in the passenger door. any...
  6. S

abs code c1145

Hey all, I have replaced both hubs complete with the ABS sensors and now I am getting a constant c1145 on the right front. Any idea why this would happen? Is it just a new but bad sensor? thanks
  7. S

no highbeam indicator on dash

hey all, got a 98 exploder sport. When I turn my highbeams on the dash indicator does not light up. The light bulb does not seem to be the problem as it worked as the ABS light, but the ABS light did not work for the highbeam. A couple of years back the daytime running lights went fubar...
  8. S

ticking/clicking noise on passenger side

well it seems I am quite dumb. I forgot that when I did the brakes last year I had problems with the parking brake system and eliminated it. The cable is still there though, and if the parking brake lever is not pushed on there is a clanking noise. Went out, looked, sure enough someone had...
  9. S

I grabbed the passenger rear tire and push/pulled it and it seems to have a bit of play. It feels like it slides in and out a bit and makes a bit of a clunking noise.
  10. S

When I heard the rattle I decided to check the brakes. I diassembled the brakes on both sides and tightened the caliper bracket bolts and caliper bolts to the proper torque and lubed the slide pins. I am going to grab a new hub simply because the one on it looks super rusted and old and the ABS...
  11. S

it's a 98 sport sohc. After changing the driver side hub assembly and swapping the ABS sensor in the passenger side hub I have developed a ticking/clicking noise from the passenger side. The noise kind of sound like ticking you sometimes hear from bicycles. You begin to hear it around 10 mph...
  12. S

groaning noise and vibration

Where would I check the resistance from? Just unplug the sensor by the front bumper? After driving a bit today the light came back on. I checked the code and it was c1234...c1155 was gone so I am assuming it was a stored code. Looks like that sensor I took from the old hub was no good after all.
  13. S

oddly enough now have the ABS light coming on. I checked the code and it was c1155 and 1234....I cleared the codes an will see if they come back.
  14. S

well it was a quite simple fix. I made a mistake first off. I thought the hub on the passenger side was a year old. It turns out I had the mechanic change the driver side last year and that is the hub I changed last week. Since my ABS was still messed I decided to inspect the passenger side...
  15. S

Since my front passenger side hub/sensor is a year old, and the driver side is brand new, I am starting to think the problem may be the rear sensors. If I were to disconnect the one sensor would it shut the whole system down or just that one sensor? Can you just unplug the sensors one by one...
  16. S

ABS - Who needs it?

Formula one drivers also do not have to deal with inpredictabilities. Everyone in the race is driving in the same direction with the same goal, you don't need to worry about people turning into you, pedestrians, guys on bikes etc.
  17. S

ABS - Who needs it?

Last winter they saved me! Driving home from the cottage on cold day with light snow. Travelling about 80 km/h (50mph?), a guy turned left in front then stopped when he saw me about 70 feet down the road. I hit the brakes, steered onto the shoulder, and missed what could have been an ugly...
  18. S

the light does not come on. The ABS kicks in a second to a second and a half before full stop. It is annoying more than anything and the system works normally outside of that.
  19. S

Since I had the passenger side replaced a year ago I suspected correctly that driver side hub was the culprit. I changed it and the groaning noises are gone. While it fixed the noise issue it did not eliminate the ABS problem. The ABS still comes on at every stop. I am going to "try" to...
  20. S

Well my ABS sensor is shot anyhow so I just went out and bought a new hub. I am going to put that on and see where it goes from there. One thing I will say about the noise/vibration is that it is not related to engine speed. The noise/vib is louder at 40mph at 1400 rpm then at 30mph and 2000...
  21. S

Hey all, 1998 explorer sport 4x4 with about 120,000k miles on it. Truck recently developed this growning noise and vibration that can be felt through the floor and steering wheel. Noise sounds like mud tire road noise and starts at about 10 mph and seems to be worse at about 30-40 mph and...
  22. S

sport 4x4 with 4:10's fuel mileage

Ok, So I did a fuel mileage test driving to my cottage this weekend. For 1 tank I got 590 km's (~377 miles) for 60.9 liters of gas. That is about 10.3 liters per 100km, or 23.5 mpg. Not bad at all. Here is how I tested: I filled up the gas tank as full as I dared. I filled it so that it...
  23. S

brake replacement problem /rant

I will be sure to let you know what the problem is when I find it. And thanks for your input! Oh, and I don't think it's anything major. The brakes and the parking brake work perfectly!
  24. S

well they are the same as the ones that came off. Same size and shape and everything. I am going to take it apart again tomorrow. I think it may be a bent dush shield or soemthing. I had to pry on it a bit to get the rotor off, maybe I bent it a bit or something.
  25. S

it's weird though. It didn't make this noise before, when the parking brake was massively over adjusdted. Maybe I reduced it soo much that it's still over adjusted but only rubbing occasionally....I dono.
Back