1. F

94 Explorer - Runs bad after raining

Another bump.
  2. F

Is this forum that dead now..? :(
  3. F

My '94 Explorer consistently runs bad after a night of raining. It will sputter and bog down for a while until it seems to get warmed up and then it's fine. It rained pretty hard all night the night before last and the Ex got a lot worse yesterday from what my wife says (she's the one that...
  4. F

Fuel Filter Replacement 1994 4x4 XLT

I just replaced my fuel filter a couple weeks ago for the first time after 220k on the odometer, hah. It was somewhat of a PITA to get off, but it only took about 15-20 mins of fighting it for me. The side facing the front came off pretty easy for me, but the side facing the rear I had to...
  5. F

A4LD Not Shifting To 2nd Until Throttle Is Disengaged

My dad called me from across the state looking for advice since we both have identical '94 Explorers. He's doesn't do much online, so I'm posting this here for him. Problem: He's telling me that his Ex will not up shift to 2nd until he lets off the throttle, then it will shift through the...
  6. F

Engine running hot and no heat inside - Thermostat?

Well I said in the OP that I haven't flushed my coolant system in a decade; what I should have said is that I haven't touched my coolant system in a decade, lol. So over the course of 10 years or so, I'm sure it evaporated/broke down or something. If there is a leak, then if it's that small...
  7. F

Well it was an easy fix. I thought the coolant level was good by looking at the cold fill level on the reservoir, but the reservoir is almost opaque now and I misread it. It was bone dry. Opened up the radiator cap and the coolant level was at least 6" deep. It was about a gallon low, lol...
  8. F

Thanks for the link. I'm about to run out to the parts store now to do this. Me and the wife have been really sick all weekend and I'm just now over it (she's getting over it now). Fortunately I have Presidents day off today so I have time to do this before the work week. Thanks for the...
  9. F

This past week, my ol'94 has been running hot (almost past the "L" on "NORMAL" on the gauge) when sitting idle and there's no heat coming out of the vents. But when I start driving highway speeds, the temp gauge goes back down to the middle in the normal operating area and the in-cab heat comes...
  10. F

O2 Sensor failing on trip home

Ahh, I got ya. I got 111 for the KOEO code and the 17x codes as CM codes. I did a KOER test today again and got the 542 again along with a 538 ("System did not receive "goose" test - TESTS ") and 167 ("No Throttle Position sensor change in "goose" test (must get at least 25% rotation) - TPS")...
  11. F

Power Window Bushing Replacement

Just fixed my Drivers window after if being half-broke for several months (had to keep helping it along). It took me a few mins to find that dimple too. I kept thinking it was that large dimple to the left but since there wasn't any screws behind it, I was confused. I eventually found it...
  12. F

Doesn't the KOEO test show CM codes? Not sure what you're asking, but I pulled those codes with the paperclip trick and watching the CEL blink out the codes. I have a Haynes manual with diagrams, but I'll have to go buy a voltmeter. How did you repair the circuit? Thanks.
  13. F

Yeah, and I was getting most of the other 17x codes too. Then I also got a code 542 which is "fuel pump circuit open; PCM to motor". Somehow I just overlooked that and just looked it up. That sounds like it could affect starting, eh? Heh. Got any advice to troubleshoot that? Thanks.
  14. F

Well 2 years later and this issue comes back. It seems to only have a problem in the winter time when it's really cold out (below freezing). The other day when it was 10 or so degrees out, it wouldn't even start after cranking it for 5 or so mins (not straight, but in 10-15 sec spurts with...
  15. F

'94 won't start, no power

Yeah, I went through the exact same experience. I tried jumping it with my 3.5 Altima and it still wouldn't turn over either. Funny when something as simple as a dead battery throws you for a loop. Also, I came here just because I saw your thread in Genmay too (after that guy trolled you and...
  16. F

Well after I gassed up and left the hotel to continue the trip, the truck has fixed itself somehow. I've drove 150 so far (topping it off and refreshing) and I haven't got any CEL, power is restored and I'm getting decent milage. So I dunno wtf it was. Mabye I had bad gas and the extreme cold...
  17. F

Bout to leave in 30 mins, any more help would be extremely nice! Thanks!
  18. F

Sweet, thanks Tbars, you always help me out ;). That enlightened me a little. I'm pretty sure I don't have an exhaust leak anywhere, but I'll check in the morn. Where are the left/right 02 sensors at? It's not the MAF sensor on the intake manifold, is it? Maybe I can get away with...
  19. F

Hey guys, I don't expect much help with such short notice and the short time frame I have until I leave again in the morning, but I would greatly appreciate it! So I'm on my 850 mile trip back home to NY from KY for the holidays and about 1/3 way into it, my truck starts throwing the CEL...
  20. F

5000lbs

Sorry, I didn't mean to tell on you man, but I know if I saw soldiers in my unit trying to pull this, I would have slammed them with UCMJ following some remedial PT. I encourage you to just do a partial DITY and cram as much of your stuff in your truck as you can and be happy with what you can...
  21. F

need some help please.

Nah, that's not that bad. My '94 has over 200k on the original drive-train and it still runs perfect. But I got it 9 years ago with 130k on it and I very rarely haul anything or have a significant load on it. This truck has been the epidomy of reliability for me since I've had it. I also...
  22. F

need some help please.

Nah, the 4.0 wouldn't have much of a prob with the added weight. You just have to worry about the tranny dealing with the added stress. If your tranny is already slipping on you, this is probably going to to be the "straw" (more like anvil) that'll break the camels back. Definitely try to...
  23. F

need some help please.

..... Why..??! LOL.. Well all that still only came up to 951 lbs. So you're gonna have another 1,000 lbs. of just wood in there? Can you not use another (lighter) type of material/wood? My next question; why are you putting all that money and equipment in a vehicle that's not even worth the...
  24. F

need some help please.

LOL, no way you're going to have anywhere near a TON of car audio equipment in your truck. Unless you're getting car audio advice and a budget from XzBit or something. That's just ridiculous. You gonna put some 22"s on it and chrome it out too? Maybe a 32" LCD under the oil pan? :rolleyes...
  25. F

5000lbs

Lmao, PCSing and doing a DITY move, eh? Don't get caught.. I've seen a few soldiers get nailed with Article 15s and fines doing this. I did a partial DITY move from Ft. Benning, GA to West Point, NY last summer. I weighed my Ex at around 4,750 lbs. with an empty tank and after I loaded it up...
Back