Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Replacing oil sender question

You nailed it for me Koda. Thanks for the reply.
  2. S

Replacing oil sender question

On my 1998 XLT with 6 cyl engine, how hard is it to get to the oil sender switch? I can't see it looking from under the hood, so if I am going to get dirty, I might as well know how easy or difficult it going to be first. Also, I have a oil pressure "gauge", but I suspect it is not a variable...
  3. S

Power Antenna

That is what I needed to know. Thanks for the feedback.
  4. S

Power Antenna

I am about to tackle replacing the power antenna on my 1998 XLT. It looks like either a fender removal or possibly just the wheel well liner, but I am not sure. I don't want to do this the hard way; does anyone have any suggestion from experience?
  5. S

1998 Cruise Control Unit

Already resolved. Thanks.
  6. S

1998 Cruise Control Unit

Do you still have this CC servo unit?
  7. S

Passenger Air Bag Cover

Okay, thanks guys.
  8. S

Passenger Air Bag Cover

Thanks for the help. Can't I just take the plastic cover off the front of the dash without removing the bag? That is all I am trying to do.
  9. S

Passenger Air Bag Cover

On a 1998 Explorer, does anyone know how to get the passenger air bag cover off on the dash board. There is a rattle coming from that area but I don't want to damage the cover prying on it incorrectly. Might be hinged for all I know.
  10. S

How is it possible?

Roger that. Thanks.
  11. S

How is it possible?

I assume soaking the bases with WD-40 for a while first is the best pre-removal approach?
  12. S

How is it possible?

You make a good case to take the leap. Still apprehensive though. This 'break a plug' thing still scares me.
  13. S

How is it possible?

Roger that. I am shaking in my boot on this one.
  14. S

How is it possible?

Didn't think about breaking one. That's a scary possibility. Does the plug just snap in two, and do they frequently mall the head threads as well. Thanks for the additional items to check swshawaii.
  15. S

How is it possible?

So assuming I break down and risk the knuckles and change the plugs, what other engine items should I tend to at the same time. There are really very few adjustments to be made anymore, if any. Just filters, coolants and lubricants, belts, PVC, what else?
  16. S

How is it possible?

I am the original owner, 1998 Explorer, 4.0 SOHC with 220,000 miles, and I have never, ever, (oh I hate to admit this), replaced the spark plugs. But it still idles well, runs well, has good power, and does nothing to make me want to get in there and bust up my knuckles. In fact, 2 of the 6...
  17. S

Radio Removal

Another good suggestion. Thanks.
  18. S

Radio Removal

I like the nail way (cheap) so I'll try that first. If that fails me, I can order the tool. Thanks guys.
  19. S

Radio Removal

Probably a really dumb question but how do you remove the stock radio from a 1998 Explorer XLT? Does it require a special tool to slide in alongside the radio?
  20. S

Power Steering Groan Turning Left

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll check out the tie rods.
  21. S

Still have not located the problem, but I must admit that it is my wife's car and I rarely drive it, so out of sight is out of mind. She never mentions it so I need to drive it again to see if it is the same or worse.
  22. S

It's a groan and only sounds off if you are moving the steering wheel to the left at slow/no speed. Stop moving the wheel, the groan stops. It is definitel rack or pump. I am not able to crawl under right now as we are on a trip and I do not have work clothes with me. Was hoping to eliminate...
  23. S

4.0 SOHC 4WD Explorer with 192,000 miles. Only when turning the steering wheel to the left when starting from a dead stop, I get a groan from the steering. Stop the turning, the noise stops. I am thinking pump but it doesn't do it turning to the right. Ideas please?
  24. S

No oil pressure on gauge

Thanks for the analysis. The other gauges do work normally so would that eliminate this "anti-slosh module"?.
  25. S

No oil pressure on gauge

1998 XLT SOHC 4.0. The oil pressure gauge quit indicating oil pressure but I verifies there was pressure and initially I suspected the sender. But I am not getting a check engine light so I'm thinking it must be the wiring to the gauge or the gauge itself. Is there a better method to...
Back