Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Torque Converter? TCC Solenoid?

Unfortunately, no. My scanner only pulls CEL codes.
  2. P

Torque Converter? TCC Solenoid?

Hey everybody, 1999 Exploder, 5r55e? transmission (D code on the door, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC). Car history. Got screwed by a used car dealer and had the engine pull the timing chain of death a couple months after I bought it, cash money. It sat for about a year due to my lack of funds (student at...
  3. P

Torque converter

Anyone? Heeeeelp me :-)
  4. P

Torque converter

I think my torque converter is shot. I'm getting the torque converter code, according to the mechanic. Impaired driving performance, except when the code is cleared. When the code is cleared, the car drives like new. Mechanic says drive till it dies. He said he'd only replace the torque...
  5. P

OD Light blinking !?!

I have the exact same problem as the OP. It's getting progressively more frequent. A month ago, it would only happen once every couple days on the highway to and from work. Now, it's nearly guaranteed to happen if I drive on the highway for more than thirty minutes or so. It seems if I use the...
  6. P

Replacing Multifunction Switch

Just found out the hard way that this is not true. My signals started working again since my last post, so I ignored the problem until they completely crapped out about a week ago. So then I installed a junkyard MFS, which didn't solve the problem, and then installed a new MFS, which still...
  7. P

sea foam?

I think I have a seafoam curse. It worked miracles on some of my older cars, but it has correlated (not necessarily caused) problems in three others. I worked great in an old accord, pulsar, and prelude (all 80s, all carb'd.). I put it in my turbocharged Nissan from the 1980s and two weeks...
  8. P

So, that means the odds of the flasher relays going out at the same time are pretty damn low, so I can bet it's the MFS... sweet!
  9. P

Driver Side Door Wont Lock

sorry to bump an old thread, but I need that same diagram from Hammer or someone else... My lock problem is EXACTLY like Hammer's.
  10. P

Yeah, but with shipping its like 42... if I can find one for less than 20 in a junk yard, then I'll probably give that a shot.. if it fixes the problem I can always get a brand spanking new one when the used junk yard one craps out.
  11. P

Yeah, I saw on google that some fords have one for each, though I'm not 100% sure if it's that way for the explorer... if it is, then both simultaneously crapping out would be impossible and it's the MFS... I might just pick 'n pull all of the random crap parts I need so that I can troubleshoot...
  12. P

Thanks for the super-prompt response. I was planning on changing the relay initially, but when the timing chain started going south, I kinda just said screw it. Does that same relay control both the turn signals and flashers, or are there two relays?
  13. P

Hey guys! I finally got my explorer back after getting a used engine put in (timing chain snapped). Prior to the engine crap-out, the turn signals and hazards were acting funny. They'd blink as normal for a few seconds, then stay on w/o blinking. Now that the car sat for 9 months, the turn...
  14. P

Boom, then oil gauge went nuts... won't run

So... after the car has sat for 6 months while I was out of state, I'm back to trying to get it running. I found a possible replacement engine that runs perfect. However, it's a 97, so I'm guessing it probably at least needs the oil check valve installed/tensioneers replaced. Since the engine is...
  15. P

'04 4.0L engine on '98 explorer

So, in summary, what needs to be kept from the old engine if one of these newer 4.0's is sourced?
  16. P

Spark Plug Replacement

Agreed with the above opinions. Go through the wheel well. I changed mine and my brothers and for me, I ended up with less cuts and bruises when I went through the wheel well on both sides.
  17. P

The question remains: What engines should I target? Also, is my engine f*****? I don't remember the difference between interference/non-interference and whether this engine is one, but if the chain snapped, do I have bent valves or other irreperable damage? Is my best course of action to try to...
  18. P

'04 4.0L engine on '98 explorer

Ebay... if you have a spare old key, you can send it in to an ebay seller and get a new one (plus your old one of course) for cheap.
  19. P

OBD II to USB cable

I got the cheapest possible cable off eBay. It wouldn't work with most programs, like scantools, BUT it does work great with wOBD. It does all the measurements, CEL codes, clears codes, etc.
  20. P

It's defintely the SOHC.
  21. P

Girlfriend was driving to work, something went boom (not a big boom... her description) and the oil gauge went nuts. No oil leaked out as far as I can see. Car also had the timing chain defect, sounded like a motherf'ing powerstroke diesel. Did my chain snap? If so, am I fornicated? Could it be...
  22. P

HELP ME (Starting/Electrical Prob)

Yo, is the spring that pushes against the key inside of the ignition switch? Also, is the PATS receiver in the column or the dash? Will I have the PATS trippin' if I change the column out?
  23. P

How do I jump the solenoid? Does anyone know of step by step instructions for taking apart the steering column? I got a second key today, chipped and all, and it didnt do anything. Is there a way to reset the PATS in case that actually is the problem?
  24. P

Anti theft pats problem I think its the Anti-Theft killing me. I did the code check w/ turning the key to run and got 1:3, which means can't read key code. My question is, if I have another key, do I just have to stick it in and start up? Is there a way to reset the anti-theft if not? Is...
  25. P

I parked the Xploder last night and went inside. Girlfriend went out twenty minutes later and the Check Gage, Check Engine, a blinking anti-theft light and perhaps one more light came on and won't go off, even with the keys out. The car won't start and it doesn't have that springy feeling when...
Back