Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Is my transmission blown?

Damn, alright. Thanks guys. My uncle is selling me a 2002 Chevy Blazer with 100k miles for $1500. I'm going to hold on to the the Explorer I think and see if I can find a way to get the Explorer back up and running for less than $800. Anybody think thats possible?
  2. L

Is my transmission blown?

When you put it into gear you can feel it go into gear, like the little lunge and vibration you hear when you put it in gear, but when you go to accelerate its like the cars in neutral. It will just barely creep forward at about 4000rpms. It does the same thing in reverse. Its just that...
  3. L

Mysterious Smoke

So my X smokes a little bit after driving for any good distance. The smoke comes from the back of the engine towards the bottom. It's a slightly gray smoke, I'm fairly certain its not oil, tranny fluid, or brake fluid.(all levels seem to be normal, if not above normal.) The explorer seems to...
  4. L

Transfer Case Motor Question, Images

94sports, Is the speed sensor necessary for the operation of the shift motor and transfer case? When I took the shift motor off the first time I put the transfer case into 4 wheel manually with a pair of pliers, and with the speed sensor removed, transmission fluid ran out of the hole it goes...
  5. L

Transfer Case Motor Question, Images

I looked in the 4x4 forum but couldn't find what I need to know. I bought a new transfer case motor from Rockauto.com and I'm not sure if it will work with my transfer case. This is the old one: You can't see the gray wire attached to it that you must cut to take it off, but its on...
  6. L

Rotor Issues

Okay, My 93' explorer shakes likes crazy when I'm braking. It doesn't shake at all when driving normally, but when braking, its terrible. Whats worse is that I live in the mountains and coming down the mountains, it feels like I'm going to get pushed off the road. I'm pretty sure its just the...
  7. L

Ok so I'm going to try to do the shift motor rebuild tommorow...

Just hoping for some well wishes. Don't have a lot of experience with this kind of thing, but the thread giving the instructions makes it seem pretty straight forward. I made a similar post on the rebuild thread but don't think anybody saw it, so I'll ask again. What are the consequences...
  8. L

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

I'm going to attempt to rebuild my shift motor this weekend. Now, I have never done anything mechanical on a vehicle outside of a brake job, oil change, etc. I have read how easy it is and everything, but do y'all think it can be done by a novice? The symptoms are the classic ones...
  9. L

R12 to R134a Conversion Questions

Thanks alot guys, Fixxer: Would it be so terrible to just buy and use of of these kits without the above mentioned steps? What would happen if I didn't remove the old oil and get the compressor vacumed, and just hooked the kit up and put the R134 into the R12 system? FYI: I got the...
  10. L

R12 to R134a Conversion Questions

Ok, so I'm thinking about getting my '93 converted from R12 to R134. Two Questions: How much should I expect to pay for a mechanic to do the job? and Would it be cheaper to buy one of the $30 conversion kits from the autoparts store? And do these kits really work?
  11. L

93' high idle?

My 1993 just started idling high yesterday. It only does it when you drive awhile then stop and put it in park. It doesn't do it on the engine start. It has been warm here(Boone, NC) lately after being below freezing for almost 5 months. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but...
  12. L

Which fuse is used for 4x4?

I'm having a problem with my 4x4 and think it might be a fuse. Does anyone know which one it is/where it is?
  13. L

Where is the test/reset button on the 4x4 module?

I can't find it. When I press the button for 4x4 high it does nothing, no noise, no light, no movement, nothing. I think it might be the 4x4 module, but not sure. I just want to test the module.
  14. L

Help Please

I have a problem with my brakes. Whenever I press the brake there is a loud clunking noise that shakes entire front end, and it pulls the car slightly to the right. Also when I brake going downhill the front end vibrates and shimys before it stops. Does anyone have any ideas about what this...
  15. L

Brake Problems

I have a 93 x and whenever you press the brake there is a loud clank that is audible inside the cab. And whenever you have to brake the wheel will shake and try to pull to right. I think I just need new brakes but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
  16. L

How to Install Headlight on battery side?

I just bought the light and don't know how to install it. Can someone help?
  17. L

Steps for Installing CD Player in 93' Explorer Eddie B.

Any help or link would be great.
  18. L

2 problems with 1993 Explorer

1) There are two buttons on the dash. One is 4x4 H and 4x4 low. When you press the buttons, nothing happens. What could the problem be?? 2) The fuel gauge doesn't work. It reads empty all the time. any help will be appreciated.
  19. L

whats up guys

i'm new to the board and have a few questions
Back