• Register Today It's free!

Is my transmission blown?

lydenw

Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Baurer
When you put it into gear you can feel it go into gear, like the little lunge and vibration you hear when you put it in gear, but when you go to accelerate its like the cars in neutral. It will just barely creep forward at about 4000rpms. It does the same thing in reverse.

Its just that the transmission has never slipped or gave me any reason to think it was going bad. The tranny fluid level is normal, but it does appear to be very burnt(its a grayish black color.)

I love this truck and would hate to have to sell it for parts. Is there anyway its not the tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try changing the transmission fluid with new stuff , it's suppose to be red.

I doubt a fluid change will help,if the fluid is dark and smells burnt I would say it's rebuild time.Sorry.Look at it this way,for the price of a tranny you will be hard pressed to buy anything decent and you love the vehicle,I say fix it.:D

That's a bad color for tranny fluid. The transmission should be flushed around 70,000. This would be a good time for owners/members to look at your fluid and if it is not ruby red, get it flushed....it's worth it and you will see a noticable improvement in shifting and gas mileage.

I had mine flushed at 70,000.....complete flush out with open torque converter and it took gallons and gallons until it was clear red in the recovery container. I drove it for a few thousand more, then dropped the pan, recycled the several quarts in the pan, changed the filter, and replenished with Synergen synthetic racing transmission fluid. The transmission still runs better than new with 120,000 miles.

It's a lot of trouble and pricy, but cheaper than a new one.

The tranny on mine was re-buit by the PO for about $1,700. Unless your exploder is a pile of *^$% you will be hard pressed to find a decent truck for $1,700 ! Sometimes I don't understand the logic!

Your tranny is blown.
Mine did the exact same thing, to the letter. I had to replace mine cause I didnt have the time to fool around with rebuilding the old one. I havent yet opened the old one to find out exactly what happened, but I wouldnt waiste the money and time trying to flush new fluid through it. Thats like giving your dead cat a transfusion hoping he'll come back to life. Just aint gonna happen. Sorry.

Damn, alright. Thanks guys.

My uncle is selling me a 2002 Chevy Blazer with 100k miles for $1500. I'm going to hold on to the the Explorer I think and see if I can find a way to get the Explorer back up and running for less than $800. Anybody think thats possible?

unless u go used.

Check the main pressure to see what the pump is putting out. The torque converter could be bad too. I figure if you are going to spend $1500 for another vehicle, go to the junkyard and find another tranny for a vehicle you already have and like.

5 users here told me my transmission needed to be replaced when mine was acting up. Turned out all I needed was fluid. Just to let ya know...

this is bull

I work with fluids all the time changing it wont help its too far gone but dont give up bring it too a honest shop....theres alot of parts to a transmission sometimes it just one thats bad. I was told 2000 bucks for a new one but i brought it to my freind and he did it for 900 and i had the same problem you did. He replaced one part in it!!! good luck

He's right,spend $200 and find out for sure if it's toast.But I'm betting it is.If you can get the Blazer go ahead,then save the money to get the tranny redone or replaced.Just make sure if you are going to spend that much on a transmission that you get a warranty on the work.

Or....junkyard tranny,but you take your chances that way.Here's the deal,if the fluid is full,stinks and is a dark color it probably is toast.

5 users here told me my transmission needed to be replaced when mine was acting up. Turned out all I needed was fluid. Just to let ya know...

Kinda a different deal here and as he said in his first post the fluid level is normal,that's why they put that little stick in there so you check it before you post.

I am experiencing the same problem. Will not go in reverse. I really don't have that kinda money to go guessing if I need a new tranny or not. I dropped the pan, changed the filter(which was clogged), and added new fluid(which was black). Still, no reverse. My 1992 Ford Explorer only has 61,000 miles on it and I would hate to scrap it.

I would say you are in for a tranny repair,sorry man but there you go.What kind of shape is the truck in,I'm in Minnesota and can always use another Explorer.At least if it's in any kind of condition I'll give you more then the scrapyard will.:D

I am experiencing the same problem. Will not go in reverse. I really don't have that kinda money to go guessing if I need a new tranny or not. I dropped the pan, changed the filter(which was clogged), and added new fluid(which was black). Still, no reverse. My 1992 Ford Explorer only has 61,000 miles on it and I would hate to scrap it.

Another threat to scrap a low mileage ex ! I'll give you scrap mony for an ex with 61K on it ! Geez

You don't have to guess...With black fluid and no reverse your tranny is toast and you don't have to guess about price to fix it...About $1,700 at a good tranny shop. If the rest of your ex is in good shape with only 61K why the hell would you scrap it ???? All you can buy out there for $1,700 (the cost of a rebuilt tranny) is pure junk.

Kinda what I'm saying,but up here the rust monster is common so it might be a rot box.Dude,post some pictures of it,we are curious what kind of condition it's in.:D

side note,I bought a 1970 Charger 500 for $300 with 65000 miles on it in 1979.Ran great but all rusted up from sitting for 3 years in upstate NY.Could be the same deal.

Just bought a 2000 XLT that's clean,go figure.

I think the problem is the torque converter. The clutches inside it have probably been toasted as indicated by your fluid. To just get it on the road you can swap in a new TC for about $170.

I think the problem is the torque converter. The clutches inside it have probably been toasted as indicated by your fluid. To just get it on the road you can swap in a new TC for about $170.

I don't feel that would explain the lack of reverse as the converter clutch has nothing to do with that.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it does.

The torque converter takes over the part of the clutch in a manual transmission. Whether going in reverse or forward the torque converter needs to work.

Back