‘04 Ex Replacing Factory Radio to get SUBwoofer and have Rear DVD which Radio? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

‘04 Ex Replacing Factory Radio to get SUBwoofer and have Rear DVD which Radio?

jrford

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac
Not sure where to post this one but it relates to 3rd Gens with Rear DVD, MODs can move it if there is a better location.

I want to replace my ‘04 Ex. EB Factory Base Radio 4L2T-18C868-CA to add the factory SUB woofer and I also have the Rear DVD player and rear controls and I’d like to keep it that way but which Radio? No high demands on quality, only listen to news, low music and that occasional Disney Movie on long trips but I’d like to add a little more bass. Anyone know of a compatible factory radio that I could use? :dunno:

I already have the SUB woofer.
I know I will need a new Dash Harness as I only have the Two Black Connector’s in Back.
I assume the RR Qtr Panel Wiring is there for the Sub? If not plan B run my own wires.

I have searched and searched all over the net just to be more confused :confused: on what radio can I use and still keep the Rear Controls? One upgrade I found was 4L2T-18c815-EA is the 6CD and I think that may work. I keep seeing variations of the first 4 alphanumeric (4L2T - year and model) and the Last two (-CA) not sure what they mean. I think the middle is the main part number 18C868 is a Base Radio while 18C815 is Audiophile? Or is it single CD vs. 6CDs?
Any suggestions are welcome and any more Web sites (although I’ve been to a lot)? Or did I miss a sticky somewhere?
On an off chance anyone selling one?
Jim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the Last two (-CA) not sure what they mean.
Jim.
First set is the year and model that the radio went in. Now I’m down to the last two characters - is there a secret decoder ring? If I can figure these two letter codes then I know which one to buy.
Thanks in advance for any information.

i have an in-dash 6 cd changer with subwoofer plug from my '04 that i am trying to sell. i just dont know if rear controls are compatible with it. here is a pic of the back of it.

Attachments

• 44 008.jpg
    44 008.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 5,247

PM Sent,

i have an in-dash 6 cd changer with subwoofer plug from my '04 that i am trying to sell. i just dont know if rear controls are compatible with it. here is a pic of the back of it.
DMacLennan14,

Did you ever sell that indash 6 cd changer posted last Jan (4L2T-18c815-CD) ? I'm looking for that exact unit to replace the one that died in my 04 Expl EB

still available. make me an offer. it was only in my truck for 2 weeks before i put in an alpine cd player and it has been sitting under my bed since then. so it is pretty much brand new.

Thanx for reply. I just found a place nearby that supposedly repairs these things with good success. I'm required to leave it there for bench testing/estimate. I'll get back to you in a week or two (I'm told).

wow post from the dead,
Got mine out of an '03. Turns out the there is a wire change from Base (uses world plugs black) to Prem in '04. mdaclennan14's is the prem, audophile and it uses Phase II plugs grey. Also found out if anyone reads this, I got a 3l2t-18c815-FA and everthing works, Rear Controls, DVD, Input1, Steering wheel controls.

Only looking for the RR Qtr Panel now, and a Radio side connector, will the project last a year, i hope not.
Good Luck.

Ha, completed, only a month to spare.
Yes it does work. Much better Bass, controls all work steering and rear, DVD. DSP kinda of nice, good sound. Invested is $50 on the radio, $20 on the sub, $25 Wire Harness ends, $15 for the wire. Speakers where upgrade to 2way Polks for $60 when i got it but the bass was weak, sub fills it in well.

useful link
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44625&highlight=18c815

Joy turn to dismay as after 3 days of use it locked up. It happened when I tried to load Slot6, I heard a lot of whirring, clunks, whizzes and then ‘CD Error’. Tried to unplug it, eject CD’s Nothing. Nuts I thought . . .its toast.

So I did a little research, and found they can be fixed for about $80-200 or so while the dealer wanted $300. The part No. in question of the mechanical portion is YL2F-18C1821-AG. . .None to be found on the web. But I did find something close which had instruction to take it apart. Needing to save that money for the holidays, I decided to dive in.

Once you get the radio out you will find the Radio is actually two pieces with the Top being the CD changer. 4 Torx screws later it would lift up to reveal a ribbon cable and a 2wire cable. The ribbon is a Zero Insertion type of connector the other is just a plug.
Carefully pull those out and the CD –Changer will lift up and out.
Now remove 5 or 6 screws holding the top cover on.
Once that’s open you can see everything. What I found where the trays jammed up. Then noticed the trays actually ride on spindles to keep them aligned. All of the trays had fallen off one of them. I carefully lifted them back on, and things seem to line up. Plugged it back in but ‘CD Error’ again.

Took it out 4th time, I was getting good at it as I can do it in under 5 minutes now. Taking it apart the last time I heard a rattle and I found a worm gear rolling around in the bottom half, looked at the thing for a while before I saw a shaft on the bottom that looked like maybe that’s where it came from. Pushed it back on and it held, and I couldn’t find anything else wrong. My thought was it couldn’t be that easy I’ll just pack it up and ship it . . . .what the heck I’ll give it another shot.

Success! At least for now. All Slots work!!!!!! Went back and forth from 1 to 6 and it still worked. Now the true test how long will it last. . . .

Note: If you turn the Radio Upside down, without being in Ship mode and without the shipping bracket the CD trays WILL always fall off the alignment spindle as there is nothing holding them on but a small spring. A real strong bump may do it also.
Jim

Pic of CD Changer

Sorry for the phone pic but here is the inside of the CD Changer, the guide pin is in the lower right corner of the picture.

Second picture is a close up of the pin.

Attachments

• img061sm.jpg
    img061sm.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 4,574
  • img063sm.jpg
    img063sm.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 4,439

^ "You know how i know your gay? You listen to cold play..." 40 Yr Old Virgin

Haha had to say it lol. nah nice find here. definitely better than paying 300 bucks

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I am looking for this part # 5L2Z-18W862-BA. Let me give a little bit of background on this, I have a 2002 Eddie bauer, I wanted the factory sirius, so I purchased the harnesses to convert from the black world plugs to the grey phase two, 2004 radio with SAT button, Everything works perfectly except the steering wheel controls. I could not find a harness to convert that.
The part # is listed above was a Ford Part # that included all the harnesses needed for what I want to accomplish. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!!

steering is on the 20-pin part of the harness, the big square one.
Any chance you have a pic. . .to help. .
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253916
maybe these?
Metra 70-5700 Car side World plugs J1, J2, J3
Metra 71-5520-1 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Harness 03-08

Or junkyard and clip off the ends of the harness you need???

Looks like I'm in for the Metra build. Anybody actually held a 70-5700 in their hands? The stock photo on shows 2 leads on the 20 pin. I've emailed Metra to confirm the exact build. I guess I'll report back here if nobody else does.

If it doesn't have the leads for the necessary pins, how hard would it be to add them to the connector? Could it be done without destroying it?

sorry, no 70-5700 but what i bought was a 71-5700 for body side interesting it comes with all 20 wires.

found this, www.explorerforum.com/forums//attachment.php?attachmentid=40346...

checking for 70-5700 (radio side) i only 20pins with only 2wires. what about buying the iPod adapter which from the looks of it has all 20wires. PIE Part # FRDW-AUX

I've added to OEM harnesses before its doable but you got to find the exact same soldered/crimp connection. On the plastic connector there is a locking piece that comes off, then the wires just pull or push - in or out, put the locking piece back on they lock into place. Others you can get away with just pushing the wired connector in housing.

Metra tech support just confirmed that the 20 pin in the 70-5700 only has 2 leads. He intimated that more leads could be added but would require the pins as well. I guess the search is afoot for a 5L2Z-18W862-BA.

Joy turn to dismay . . .

Note: If you turn the Radio Upside down, without being in Ship mode and without the shipping bracket the CD trays WILL always fall off the alignment spindle as there is nothing holding them on but a small spring. A real strong bump may do it also.
Jim

Hello. Thanks for the time and effort for your information. I have a CD changer that I picked up real cheap ($10.00) and installed it in my wifes '03 Ranger. The radio works fine, but the CD only gives errors. I do not hear any noise or movement from the unit when I try to load CDs. Can you please give any information on the "Ship mode" and shipping bracket? It is possible that the unit I bought (to replace a basic radio head) is in the Ship mode.

Thanks for any help you can give.
cito545

The shipping bracket is a big metal piece with Orange Locking tabs. On repair they will sometimes use 'anything' but in the two narrow slots on top. If you check these posts below, the first one has a pic of the bracket.

On power on it will go out of ship mode automatically.

$10.00 cheap, my guess is the mechanism is shot. Its about $100 or so to fix.
Check out the last two post there are some options, also compare to what you have and see if its the same.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114763 Post 9.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253916
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268525

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back