02 XLT radio confusion. Help Please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 XLT radio confusion. Help Please!

me2

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hi All. I'm new to the forum and looking for some information and advise.

I have an '02 XLT4 door that only has a factory sound system with 4 speakers (in the doors). The CD6 radio part number is 3L2T-18C815-EA with 2 connectors on the back and a single solid chassis. I want to upgrade to a better sounding system without changing the factory look. My research so far, using the search engine on this site and E-bay, just confuses the issue because there are different variations of radios and I'm not sure which one I can use. My car does not have a factory sub-woofer, amp or wire harness for it.
Here is what I have found so far.

All of these radio models are the CD6 type.

Radios model 1R3F-18C815-AD and BC have split chassis (looks like 2 seperate units one on top of the other) with 3 connectors. I know the 3rd is for the sub-woofer amp.

Radio Chassis 3R37-18C815-KA also has a split chassis but only 2 connectors.

Radio Chassis 3L3T-18C815-AC and 3C3T-18C815-AC have single chassis and 2 connectors.

Some radio have built in amps and some don't. I haven't been able to find a web site that can break down the model number into features.

If someone could please decode this and help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanaks,
Joe

Decoding CDX6 radios

Joe -

Welcome to "Serious Explorations!".

There is no simple way to upgrade your system without adding a subwoofer. All of the CDX6 and CD6 radios (I'll explain the difference shortly) have internal amplifiers. Models used in "Premium" systems (such as yours) have 4X20W output to the factory speakers. Models used in "Audiophile" (aka "Mach Audio") systems have 4X15W PLUS a line-out to an external subwoofer amp. The 4 channels on the Audiophile model are EQ'd to the vehicle interior (different EQ's for 2 door and 4 door Explorer models).

Now for part numbers. The "original" CDX6 radio was released in 2001 on Mustang and the new 2002 Explorer. In 2003, the radio was updated with a new mechanism and several other improvements. Internally, the "new" model was referred to as a "CD6" radio. In most instances, the CD6 radios were direct replacements for the similar model CDX6 radio. In most cases, models with a "1" or "2" (for Model Year 2001 or 2002) for the first digit of the prefix are "CDX6" radios, while most models with a "3" (2003 MY) for the first digit are CD6 models.

The only models that will fit your Explorer, which has a "bolt-in" style bezel, are those for Explorer/Mountaineer and Mustang. In order to "improve" your system, you would need to replace your "Premium" level CD6 with an "Audiophile" model made for a 4 door Explorer (part number 2L2T-18C815-FA or 3L2T-18C815-FA), upgrade all four door speakers, AND add the factory subwoofer, amp, and enclosure.

WRT the part numbers you inquired about, here is what they fit:

1R3F-18C815-AD/BC are for Mustangs with "Mach 460" (AD for Coupe/BC for Convertible) audio system (they will physically fit your truck, but will not sound right without subwoofers and re-EQ'ing).

3R3T-18C815-KA (I think your 3R37 was a typo) is for a Mustang coupe with "Mach 1000" (fits but will not sound right).

3C3T-18C815-AC is basically the same radio you have (won't sound any different) but with a standard "spring-clip" mounting. This radio is used in Ranger and F-250 trucks.

3L3T-18C815-AC is again the same as your radio except with spring clips. This model is used in F-150 trucks.

Sorry, no simple solutions.

regards,

cobrajeff

Many thanks Cobrajeff

Your information was a big help. Much appreciated. I also found out something else that was staring right in the face but didn't see it until someone else pointed it out to me. The radios with the "Comp" button in the upper right are the Premium versions and the radios with the "DSP" button there instead, are the Audiophile versions with the sub-woofer capabilities. At least I know what direction to go in now.

Thank you,
Joe

Back