03 when driving vibration from 50-70 and When let off gas issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 when driving vibration from 50-70 and When let off gas issue

Mrobs146

Reaction score
City, State
Westland, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xls 4x4
I get vibration in the wheel when on the freeway from 50-70 and when I let off the gas not all the time but more often than not when the trucks warm I feel like a lag and catch. I don’t know what it is. When on the gas don’t feel it at all. Kinda want to take the front driveshaft out don’t know if I could do that either

I have the same issue on my '02 XLS 2WD. I'm suspecting a rear bearing. I replaced both front bearings/hubs 10k miles ago, and replaced the rear u-joint a year or so ago. The truck has 207k miles, and so far as I am aware (bought used) never had a rear bearing (which are prone to failure on these trucks) replaced. While the change in noise between on/off gas is a little strange, I can imagine the torque affecting the vibration/noise on a rear bearing starting to fail.

Let us know what you figure out (if you ever identify the problem).

My diff whines like crazy and has a pretty good vibration when at partial throttle which neutrals the torque in the diff as it is neither being driven by the engine or driving the engine. Every time I let off and get on the gas when on the highway I get the vibration and loud gear noise as the load changes from one side of the and & pinion to other.

Anything like that situation for you?

I had the same issue as Joe mentioned above. My rear diff whined like crazy and then started a pretty nasty vibration when I'd let off the gas. Ended up rebuilding the diff with a kit I bought off rock auto and it quieted down a lot.

Back