1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

2002 explorer XLS Flex Fuel Turns Won’t Start

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Josh Decker, January 17, 2020.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Josh Decker

Josh Decker New Member

City, State:
    Hartland, mi
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Explorer 4x4
    I am hoping for some help identifying where to gonext. My wife's '02 Explorer (V-6 with Flex Fuel engine, car manufacture date is March '03), wouldn't start up this afternoon. She drove it earlier, no problem. This afternoon she got in to go, and it turned over, no problem, but it would not start.

I've checked the batter, 12.4V before I started messing with it. It has no codes coming off on my code reader (not scanner). I tried shifting into neutral and back into park to make sure that wasn't an issue. The anti-theft lift lights up when I turn the key to "on" and then goes out.

We typically run E85 through the fuel system. I went to try to check the spark plugs, thinking maybe they are fouled, but the boot didn't want to seem to come off. I felt it disengage from the plug, but couldn't get the boot off, and didn't want to damage the plug.

At this point I am thinking one of the following, any help with how to proceed with diagnosing would be greatly appreciated!

1. fouled spark plugs
    2. faulty fuel pump
    3. [ruled out] fault fuel pump relay
    4. faulty ignition coil
    Thanks for the help!

Update: checked the relay with multimeter, checks out ok.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Josh Decker

Josh Decker New Member

City, State:
    Hartland, mi
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Explorer 4x4
    SOLVED: put a couple gallons of gas in the tank, let the fuel pump cycle a couple times and it started right up. Incorrect fuel gauge.

• Useful Useful x 1