2002 Ford Explorer Sport Keypad Code Location. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Keypad Code Location.

adspof

Reaction score
City, State
long beach, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
Most posts I am sure you have seen already are discussing where the keyless pad code is is for the 4 door explorer. My 2 door sport code is actually behind the air-bag passenger side. I just did this procedure so I know it as fact. You cannot see the code by removing the defrost vent as other posts have said. It is also not behind any panel behind the seat or in the jack area. 1) Lower the glove box lid, easily done by depressing the 2 catches on each side of the box. It just flops down. 2) use a #8mm socket to take off the 2 screws holding the bottom of the airbag. This will allow the entire bag to come out. If you can support the bag somehow you don't have to unplug it but I unplugged mine as it is easy to do. 3) remove using #7mm socket the yellowish large plastic module that is right in front of you now. There are 2 screws. On top of this module you will see the code in large numbers. It is all by itself and the largest numbers on the box. You can even lock the doors and try the code out a few times before putting everything back together. 4) write this code down anywhere, everywhere you can. I wrote it in black marker on the back of the flopped down glove box and also on the black plastic panel below the module I just took off. But you can write it on the inside of the fuse panel lid, etc. This is just for future use or even if you sell the Explorer so the next person does not have to go through all of this pain. 5) remember don't be afraid of the airbag. Just handle it with care and you will be fine. Also my Explorer was made January of 2002 as that might matter as to location of code, but honestly I feel many posters on this topic have never actually found it themselves. They are just reposting what they are reading.

welcome

Just wanted to say, this is true to the letter on my vehicle. I was losing my mind trying to find the module in the rear fender. Tried the defroster thing as well - nothing. I was close to giving up hope, but this was spot on! Awesome site.

Back