2004 Sport Trac - Some new Changes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Sport Trac - Some new Changes

John_Rock

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sexy Sport Trac 4x4
The biggest and most wanted change for the 2004 Sport Trac is the ability to get it in one solid color. You don't have to have the plastic grey parts anymore, you can get one where the plastic cladding matches the rest of the truck.

Some other noted changes:
- Redesigned dash.
- New colors. I definitely know the Competition Orange color is new. :D

Here's a picture of a 2004 ST in Competition Orange as was seen at the Louisville Assembly Plant last Friday for the 2nd Annual National www.mysporttrac.com Meet.

I wasn't there, cuz I wanted to go offroading instead. :D

Attachments

• dscn0327.jpg
    dscn0327.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 796

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The other side:

Attachments

• corange.jpg
    corange.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,790

The new dash:

The light switch/fog lamps functionality is definitely different than previous

Attachments

• 2004orange6.jpg
    2004orange6.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 928

closeup of instrument cluster.

This style reminds me of the F-150 type cluster. I've seen some cool custom clusters in this style. Now it'll probably be easy to do the same the Sport Tracs.

Attachments

• 2004orange5.jpg
    2004orange5.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 769

SO ITS STILL THE SAME OLD LOVABLE TRUCK FOR THE MOST PART! Thats good news...

wish i didnt still have the grey cladding....:rolleyes:

Changes made in 2003:
- Rear disc brakes added
- A-pillar handles
- Changed the door handles
- Got rid of the handy dandy tool tray under the hood. :mad:

that's sweet....any idea on what the price is compared to the ones that aren't solid color?

i just really never liked the sport trac

Originally posted by TravisC
that's sweet....any idea on what the price is compared to the ones that aren't solid color?
Nope, no clue yet. I'm too modded into my 2001 model to even think about getting one. :(

You know, I've seen so many of the "old" STs that the solid color one looks like it's missing something. But at the same time, it looks really custom.

I don't know, I guess my brain's just going to go on overload when I start seeing them around :D

Awww that sucks. I want that dash in my Sport!!! Guess they wanted to kill it off first before they changed anything in the ST. Oh well...

I love the ST, if I was to buy a new Ford it would be a ST, at least it still has leafs and a solid axle!!

Who knows why they kept drums with the ST?? drums handle weight better (towing, hauling) but other then that??? Maybe it was a cost thing, meaning the 4 door Ex = heavy and needs discs, ST = lighter in the rear and drums, or with Ford it could just be, hey I didnt know we still had 12,000 drum brake 8.8's back there still!!

I wonder if we could get the 2004 Sport Trac instrument cluster and put in prior Explorers? Would it fit? Could the digital odometer match what is in the PCM?

Originally posted by ExplSport02
wish i didnt still have the grey cladding....:rolleyes:

You could get that painted to match your truck. That's what they did with this Avalanche:

side_avalanche.jpg

So Ford has become like Chevy and the Avalanche with cladding, or w/o. Cool , I like it. So the Sport it gone?:(

Originally posted by Rick
You could get that painted to match your truck. That's what they did with this Avalanche:

See Rick now i dont want it.....I dont want anything that looks like an Avalanche.:D Nah it would get messed up anyway.

Todd there ewas a post somewhere around saying that 04 was the last year for the Sports. Sad very Sad. And to think that the Escape is kind of replacing it. :rolleyes:

If Ford designers were a member of this forum that Sport Trac would come with a Roll Pan. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats not an avalanche! Thats a Cadillac!!! hahaha

whats next the fully painted trac will be a Lincoln??

Sport is gone in 04, is the track gonna be around in 05?

Back