2005 Aviator bearing issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Aviator bearing issues

seanstewart46

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
We bought our 2005 Lincoln Aviator about 18 months ago from a guy on Craig's List. Nice clean vehicle, but it had a tremendous noise from the rear end. I suggested to my wife that maybe we should walk away because it sounded expensive, but she had been looking for one with all the options she wanted and I caved. Figured I would do the bearings myself and while I'm at it, replace the brakes all the way around (pads and rotors), paint the calipers and install a new e-brake. It took me a week to complete the work...basically in my spare time after work, but everything looked great and the car never drove and stopped better. About six months later my wife complained that, "something isn't right." I drove the vehicle and it swayed horribly. All over the road and felt like the wheels weren't attached to the body. I took it to a shop, they threw it on the lift and clearly the rear wheel bearings were bad. The wheels were incredibly loose. I paid the shop the replace the bearings, figuring that I either didn't press them in perfectly or didn't torque the wheel nut enough. Now it is a few months later and again the wheel bearings are shot. The shop is replacing them at no cost assuming that they did something wrong also. My question is, could something else be causing this premature failure of the bearings. The strange thing is that the two most recent events have involved zero rear end noise. They are quiet as can be, but make the car extremely dangerous and difficult to control. :)

that sounds more like your rear tie rod ends. (also known as toe-link or lateral link) Very similar symptoms to bad rear bearings, and could easily be tightened up at a shop visit enough to feel right for about 3 months.

A failure of these components could also be causing a premature failure of the bearings, if it is allowing the wheel to float off from its alignment.

Forum sponsor RockAuto has them for $30/side. See the vendor section for a 5% off code.

When I got my rear wheel bearings replaced, they found a broken spindle back there, so it could always be worse.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Back