3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

i have a broken defrost door any help on this guys???????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it looks like defrost door with yellow hose on driver side top is broken

This is the best! Just did this job yesterday, took me 2 1/2 hours, including several breaks.

I only needed to remove the floor console (aka center console), lower steering cover, radio trim panel, and the metal post next to the gas pedal.

I have two questions: Where is the actual blend door? Even with the new part in and operating, I can't see anything moving.

Also, it would be great to be able to replace that gear (shown in pics above in this thread). Seems like that's the weak link (probably intentionally by Ford, to make that sacrificial to save other parts?). I bought a new actuator motor from a Ford dealer ($70), but I would think the gear would be a lot cheaper. AutoZone near me doesn't have a part for this, just a link to a used parts database. I wonder if the $16 part people are referring to uses the same gear? If so, it would make sense to pull that out and put it into the old Ford part, then you'd have a rebuilt original Ford part that should last another 3+ years (mine made it to 4 years).

Mike

Yep I had the same problem...stripped out gear. I too am wondering if it would be possible to buy the gears somewhere and avoid the $70. I had a window motor go out in my '91 Bronco and found that I could get some nylon bushing replacements that cost all of $6 to fix the issue. So I'm sure a couple of gears would be about the same price. That would be a lot better!

I'm going to see what I can find. If I can find anything I'll be sure to post it. My plan is to fix the old one and that way when this current one fails I'll just pop in the fixed one.

And just a note on doing the repair....there was a tab which "locked" the side part of the center console to the arm rest part. I busted mine off taking everything apart. From what I can tell it doesn't really matter but just in case anyone is having a hard time getting that side panel off. Other than that pretty easy job. Much easier than replacing intake manifold gaskets and your hands stay cleaner too! ;-)

2004 Explorer

2004 Explorer blend actuator motor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a new actuator motor but the shaft will not turn when I plug it in. This is the second one from the dealer. I plug it in to test it and the shaft will not turn. I'm figuring I must have pulled something loose so I plugged the old one back in and it turns just fine. I bought a new actuator motor from an auto parts store but it had the wrong shaft I pluged it in and the shaft turns on it.

Is there something I'm supposed to do with the new motor before I plug it in? This is the second one from the dealer. Old one turns, wrong one turns,
but the exact part does not. I have manual contols. Help please!

@!)^%#^^(!*!!!!

Wish I had read the WHOLE THREAD before I bought the Advanced part.

Now what? Anyone have any ideas? And of course I pitched the old one so replacing the actuator arm is not an option.

Dangnabbit!!!!!!!!!!!

brandonm73,

here is the difference between the advance auto parts actuator (black on the right) and the OEM ford part (white on the left).

hope this helps everyone who is thinking about buying a generic off brand actuator from advance, auto zone, napa, etc... this is the original one i bought from advance compared to the one i bought from www.silverstatefordparts.com I do highly recomend them as when i ordered the part they emailed me to make sure i wanted the manual control actuator and they shipped my order the same day and i recieved it 2 days later (shipped priority mail).

anyways, i hope this helps someone out there from making the same mistake i did (even though i read earlier posts not to buy generic part from advance.)

~Billy

IMG_1078.jpg

Scotty, did you take the old part to the dealer? Do the part numbers match? I don't know, but I know that they asked me if I had dual controls, maybe there are two different models which are wired differently?

If all else fails, I would take the gears out of the new dealer part and put them into the old one, then you might be good to go. It's usually the small gear that breaks (as pictured in this thread).

Hope this helps, let us know.

Chris, return it and buy a Ford part. If Advanced won't take it back, sell it on ebay or put it in the truck and get some use out of it. Buy a Ford part so you'll have a spare if/when the Advanced one breaks.

Mike

Scotty, I just read your other thread and see that I guessed correctly, they gave you the wrong part...

Mike

Thanks!

Thanks for the help Mike! The jobs hard enough without having to go through all of the wrong part stuff. I fixed it though and now I have a vaccum leak. Any ideas???

Thanks again!!!!!

I should have told you in the previous post that I took the gear out of the new part like you suggested and put in the old one. They gave me the part for the dual and I have the manual. The parts looked exactly them same on the outside but totally different electrically inside. Thanks again!!!!!

I tried replacing my blend door acutator today. Now its not working at all. I ran out of time and had to put the car back togather. The old went to hot and stopped there. So at least the heat works.

Now the part I got from autozone was a little different. The plug was on the top not on the side. Perhaps they gave me the wrong part? Here is a link to it http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...Where=&searchText=blenddoor&_requestid=382461

Jose,

As you can tell from my experience the wrong part won't work! The most important parts are the shaft, Dual Auto Temp or Manual and the mounts.

The D shaft will not work with the cross and if you try and make it it will strip the door female. The DAT and manual motors look the same from the outside but the DAT will not operate with a manual control set up.

You just said it didn't work and didn't explain so I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

I have a console in a 2003 explorer that doesn't have a small panel that can be removed from the sides near the bottom rear of the sides of the console. I haven't tried removing the console yet!

Thanks !
richar

I found the small panels on each lower rear side of the console where the two (8) screws are located,I wasn't looking hard enough !

Sorry !
richar

I did not know they gave me the auto climate until I posted the link last night. The shaft and mounts are the same. The plug is in a different location but, its the same plug.

I took it apart to day and understand why it does not work. Electrically its different. The pin out is different. The oem has a lot more on the PCB then the autozone one.

I will order the correct one from ford tomorrow.

Before you waste your time chasing down another new part, open the old (broken) part, and the new part you have. If the old part just has a broken gear (as most do), check the new part for an identical gear and swap them out, you now have a rebuilt part that you can use without any more trips to the dealer.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I did think about that. However, the autzone part uses 3 gears and the oem uses only two.

Did mine about a month ago and replaced it with a OEM one since people said there were issues with aftermarket replacements. Hardest part is getting the bolts off of it and maneuvering it so it would come out.

Yeah, that sounds about right. For the the hardest bolt was the one that was on the opposite side of the other two. The top most was easy

I got the OEM part today and put it in. Kind of sad when the guy at the dealer asks me if its a gen 3 explorer.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wolderiii is the man

Wolder. Thankx bunches for your posting on how to jerry rig the lever that controls the heat and cold. My heat gave out last year and was still not working this year. I read your post and did exactly as you indicated and it worked like a charm...you the man!!!! I'm no longer freezing me B*&Ls OFF!!! Thanks again

Back