3rd gen transmission/transfer case AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen transmission/transfer case AWD

Dubya Deuce

Reaction score
City, State
Muskegon, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Mercury Mountanieer
I have an '04 Mountaineer with a bad viscous coupling in the transfer case. I need to replace the case, but I'm having a difficult time finding one. According to Chiltons, the tranny is an A340f and I think the t case is a 4410. Is this correct? What else has this same transmission? I think some Toyota's. I would like to make it part time 4x4 if possible. I would like to find a t case that fits, and either make it manual shift, or figure out how the encoder on the shift motor works so I can shift it electronically, bypassing the computer. has anyone done this? Are there any electronics experts that can tell me how to utilize the encoder without the computer?

thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your '04 mounty might be the same as my '04 Ex, i have the V8, Class II hitch.
That gives me a Borg Warner 4410 and a 5r55s transmission.
How many miles?
It might be easier to rebuild it. Kits run about ~150 and the viscous coupler is ~400 + labor. . . . .
Or junkyard?

Back the truck up here... First things first... You should have a 5R55S transmission. I doubt there are any other manufacturers using a Ford transmission... I'd be surprised.

Second, the transfer case *should* be a Borg-Warner 44-06 if my memory serves.

As for t-case swaps: No idea. I'm not sure if they retained the bolt pattern on the 5R55S trans from the earlier 5R55E trans or not. You *might* be able to swap in one from an Expedition or F-150 of a similar vintage, but I doubt it... Those were meant to bolt up to a 4R100 or 4R70W trans... very different parts if my memory serves... If a full-size case won't work, the 13-54 oout of a 91-94 Explorer may work, or the 13-54 manual case out of a later-model Ranger (around '02) may work as well.

Good luck!

Back the truck up here... First things first... You should have a 5R55S transmission. I doubt there are any other manufacturers using a Ford transmission... I'd be surprised.

Second, the transfer case *should* be a Borg-Warner 44-06 if my memory serves.

As for t-case swaps: No idea. I'm not sure if they retained the bolt pattern on the 5R55S trans from the earlier 5R55E trans or not. You *might* be able to swap in one from an Expedition or F-150 of a similar vintage, but I doubt it... Those were meant to bolt up to a 4R100 or 4R70W trans... very different parts if my memory serves... If a full-size case won't work, the 13-54 oout of a 91-94 Explorer may work, or the 13-54 manual case out of a later-model Ranger (around '02) may work as well.

Good luck!
if its a 3rd gen awd he has the bw4411 (the 4410 is the auto4wd tcase)

if its a 3rd gen awd he has the bw4411 (the 4410 is the auto4wd tcase)

LOL! Indeed... Brain fart on that one... Yes, the 44-10 is the Auto4wd case on the third gens, and the 44-11 is the AWD case on the 3rd gens. The VC should be available as an independent unit, but they aren't a common failure item on those, unless they're abused in some way (e.g. running different sized tires, etc.)

-Joe

I have checked into pricing for the viscous coupling and it's cheaper (through the same supplier even) to buy the whole case than just the VC. I will probably end up buying something online because the AWD case is very difficult to find locally. This is one reason I would like to find what else fits. I would also just like to have 4x4 when I need it.

What price did you get?
I just had a jeep xfr case rebuilt for $650, NV242, mind you there is no viscous clutch - my guess would be about $1k ?????

Back