• Register Today It's free!

4X4 not engaging

saferacer.com

Reaction score
City, State
Joplin Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I have a 2001 Sport Trac. Love my truck and hate to think of getting rid of it but my four wheel drive won't engage. Got the truck about a year ago from my father in law and he said that the light never came on but the four wheel drive engaged for him. Now its just not working at all. Any suggestions as to where to start on this. Could it just be a fuse or maybe something serious? Any suggestions as to where to start would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a fuse, doubt it tho. Shift motor comes to mind.
Do not double post questions please. Thanks

Which fuse would it be? Would it be under the hood? What is the shift motor and where is it located? Sorry I double posted but I didn't see the other forum for the Sport Trac trucks. I am new to this site.

Which fuse would it be? Would it be under the hood? What is the shift motor and where is it located? Sorry I double posted but I didn't see the other forum for the Sport Trac trucks. I am new to this site.

No problem. Welcome to the site. The top header of this site has a search function, very useful!!
Heres some info on the shift motor that you may find helpful.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542&highlight=shift+motor&page=4

If you look around on the homepage of the site, and go to "Explorers, Mountaineers 1995-2001 stock" and read over the titles of the "sticky's" you will learn boatloads about typical problem areas found on these trucks.

OK...so now that I have this information, I am going to go in and try to rebuild this myself. Does it make since that my switch inside on the dash will turn but nothing is happening? Any other suggestions if this doesn't work? BTW...I checked the fuse and it was OK.

ok, look at it this way. The switch on the dashboard connects to this. That is the part that shifts your transfer case into 4 wheel drive electrically. This is the only part that comes to mind for me, BUT I am not a mechanic, nor do I own a 4WD. My mounty is AWD, totally different setup. However, the shift motors are a common problem

ok, I did some searching. This problem could also be the 4x4 control module. The fuses are #17 and #18 under the hood for the shift motor. Try tapping the shift motor while someone else attempts to engage the 4wd. If nothing happens, from what i have read, it is probably the module. The module is part of the GEM which is behind your radio bezel. remove radio, unscrew the 2 screws under the radio (above heat controls) pull bezel towards you to access the plugs on the switches. Unplug the plugs on switches, and the GEM is on the metal post to the right. Make sure its plugged in all the way. If that did not work, you may be looking at a new GEM (not cheap, close to 500)

Good luck

I enjoy working on cars but this is the first time that I have worked on a four wheel drive. I may sound like I don't know anything but I do understand what your saying. Thank you for your help. One weird thing is that about two months ago I replaced the EGR valve cause the engine light came on can that is what Auto Zone said that the code was for. I replaced it and the engine light never went off. I had it rechecked and they told me that sometimes after that code has been tripped that it will not go off. When I checked that fuse tonight for the 4x4, I removed it to make sure it was ok and didn't need cleaned or anything. I just put it right back in and the check engine light went off when I started the truck up. You make anything of that?

Cant make heads or tails out of it. Ask Autozone to scan it for you again, and ask them for the codes, not what they say the code means. Get the number, write it down. Search on here for the codes, somewhere there has to be a list.

I replaced the EGR valve cause the engine light came on can that is what Auto Zone said that the code was for. I replaced it and the engine light never went off.

Let me guess, code says something about EGR flow is/was insufficient? The EGR valve wasn't bad to begin with. Its the DPFE. Very, very common problem. DO NOT replace it with a parts store one, it will fail quickly. Get the OE part from one of the online vendors.

As for the 4x4 I'm not sure. I am very familiar with BW4405's but if I'm not mistaken the sport trac uses a different transfer case.

After you drive it a while you will cycle the computer and the light should go off on it's own.

Thats what I was told but I drove it around for about 2-3 months with it on after replacing that valve. I just found it odd that when I took out the 4x4 fuse and replaced it that the light went off.

Back