6th Radiator Replacement in 18 months....What is going on?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6th Radiator Replacement in 18 months....What is going on?!

majorpile

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L SOHC 4WD

150,000 miles, Engine rebuilt 20k miles ago.

Radiator fluid is clean, no water in the oil.

I'm hoping someone has some experience with this issue and can point me in the right direction. I've posted before about this issue (when it happened a fifth time)

We are on our 6th radiator in 18 months, and I know the first thought is to take it to a new shop, but the shop I go to is reputable and keep replacing at no charge to me. I've taken 4 other cars to them over 10 years and never had an issue, and unfortunately, I don't have the time to do the work myself.

5 of the times, the issue has been a hole in the radiator. Typically it's in a spot where it isn't likely to be a rock. The other time, the transmission fluid cooler broke inside the radiator (and we got trans fluid in the radiator fluid).

We've done a complete flush, double checked to make sure it isn't electrolysis (no metal flakes, no grounding issues). The temperature gauge never indicates there is an issue with overheating.

Is this an issue with the quality of the build of the radiator? It is aluminum, is it possible to buy a radiator made out of brass?

Any other ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like whatever brand they are using is cheap junk, or they are using the same radiator over and over again and not so reputable.

I agree- what radiator are they using?

You could even replace one yourself at this point. I've done 3 radiators now on 3 different trucks and 2 of them I still know the whereabouts of and have no issues. No way you should have that many failures.

Check my install thread... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332584

Assuming the radiators you're getting aren't junk... have you replaced your radiator cap and if so, is the replacement the correct PSI? Too high a PSI cap can cause radiators to fail, but they will usually fail at a seam. Also check to make sure your overflow tube isn't clogged.

I agree- what radiator are they using?

You could even replace one yourself at this point. I've done 3 radiators now on 3 different trucks and 2 of them I still know the whereabouts of and have no issues. No way you should have that many failures.

Check my install thread... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332584

It's a radiator from Napa, and the owner of the shop said that they are all essentially made in China. We are going to try a different brand of radiator this time, and we are looking round to find a brass radiator (but I don't know a lot about those).

I'll check out your install thread, thanks.

Assuming the radiators you're getting aren't junk... have you replaced your radiator cap and if so, is the replacement the correct PSI? Too high a PSI cap can cause radiators to fail, but they will usually fail at a seam. Also check to make sure your overflow tube isn't clogged.

I'll double check the cap and overflow tube, but we did replace the cap about halfway through this process and the issue persisted.

I don't really think having a brass radiator is what is needed- thousands of Ex's have replacement radiators, including tons of them on here, and none need a brass radiator to stay in one piece. That's masking a problem, if that one doesn't fail.

In my opinion, and all it is, is an opinion- I would replace it myself and control the process- it's not that hard. They could have the same guy making the same mistake time after time, and it would eliminate that possibility.

I agree on the cap- double check that...

The cap has been replaced a few times now and overflow tube has been checked as well.

So what would be the bigger, or underlying issue? Owner of the shop says he does 300 radiators a year, but only has this issue with my explorer so I'm really at a loss for what else could be causing this.

Check your body mount bolts in the core support. If one is broken, or rusted out, it will cause stress on the radiator. Putting in a copper radiator will cost you 3 times the amount of money, and last the same amout of time.

Thanks dustybumpers, but if that were the case wouldn't the leak be coming from a stress fracture or something? Most of the time, the radiator just develops a hole somewhere.

If this electrolysis, does anyone have any advice on how to test for it? What are the signs, how do I address it etc.

By the way, radiator number 6 is now leaking.

Not sure how a copper radiator would help. Copper isn't particularly strong

my folks once had 8 rads in a year installed on a chevy, cheap parts break and this was from a shop.

While you are at NAPA, get a bottle of Nalcool, I think thats the name, Its an additive for diesels, that will cure any electrolysis issues, if indeed there are any. Purple stuff, pour in the radiator.

Back