• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT stalling

Fender5

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisburg, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
New here and have a question. My 96 Ex. 4.0 has been having a stalling prob. mostly at warm up. It does not die just acts like it is about to. Normally after it warmed up a bit it's ok and runs fine. When I first start it up and drive to the end of my street (less than a mile), as soon as I stop at the stop sign, the idle drops and comes back up almost dying. It had an insufficient EGR flow and excessive flow both when the codes were read. I replaced the EGR valve along with cleaning the opening (It did not have any buildup). Did not fix the prob. only cleared out the excessive flow code. Replaced the DPFE sensor and Cleaned the hoses and openings, still did not fix the prob.
Any further suggestions?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be a bad IAC, idle air control valve.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks, I'll check that!

Well, did the IAC replacement fix the problem? It sounds like the same symptom I am having and I also replaced the DPFE. But that doesn't appear to have fixed it.

It ended up being one of the O2 sensors. I did replace the IAC and DPFE (which did no good) before I figured it out. I have had no problems since then. Hope this helps, there are four and if you can I would just replace all.

Good Luck!

Back