A4LD swappability - 3.0 V6? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD swappability - 3.0 V6?

In the ATSG manual on A4LD rebuilding, it says on page 80 that the 2.3L, 2.9L, and 3.0L engines have a band adjustment of 2 turns, and the 4.0L engine is 3 & 1/2 turns. This is done after tightening the overdrive, and intermediate band to 10 foot pounds (14 N-M). It doesn't explain any difference in types of bands, such as the single, or double wrap style, or the specific year. It just gives these specifications as a general rule. Maybe another publication might be more specific as to the year, and band type. I would like to know if there is some other publication that would have more specifications available.

I guess I could have been more clear.... but you are right... the double wrap band, which was used in the earlier A4LD's, stopped being used with the 4.0 engine (by 92 anyway). A double wrap band effectively makes ONE band into 3 littler bands, and has a different apply lever. I t may apply a little faster but in general is less durable breakage wise. If you want to see one, check out a reverse band. Most of those are cast iron and double wrap.

So I apologize, in a way you were right... there is a different adjustment for the earlier versions, which went behind smaller engines. But it is not specific to a particular engine size, it's more generic than that. I hear tell that a lot of transmissions ended up with a burned band because the techs followed the wrong spec (using 3-1/2 turns instead of 2) when adjusting single wrap bands during the crossover period in the early 90's.

I don't think I saved the double wrap band I took out of the transmission in the Rebuild Diary... I'll check, and if I can find one I'll post a pic explaining the difference.

Chris, what do you think of TransGo's methoid of adjusting the bands? They have you turn the rdiveshaft, while tightening the band. Once the shaft will turn, you back off the bolt another 3/4 turn I believe? Regards,

Thanks Glacier for that information on the double wrap bands. I didn't know that a single wrap band used on a 4.0 is still only tightened 2 turns. They should have this clearly marked in the ATSG manual instead of just saying one is for the 3.0, and the other is for the 4.0. It should say specific information related to the type of band. I wonder if they have this updated information printed in the new books.

Back