Aftermarket tail lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket tail lights

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have a friend who wants a set of aftermarket tail lights for her 2000 Explorer.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Links and pics please.

Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do a search!!!!

I did not want a list of the lights, I simply asked for an OPINION on lights members like for an Explorer, not a Toyota.

those links have nothiong to do with a toyota @ all, why dont you try actually looking at them?

also all of those would look fine on an explorer and they are all for an explorer of the 2000 model year vintage, also you asked for links and pics, which i provided as well

Hey,

Have a look at http://www.truckperformance.com ... You may or maynot know it. My billet grill came from there, and they do tail lights and stuff too. As for what kind of tail lights im not too sure... I guess somone might reply soon.

(smart people, read this.)
He might of already done a search and found nothing. Or he might of done a search and found a lot of different makes of tail lights. He is simply asking for an opinion of anyone else that may of purchased them. And fair enough to him.

Somewhere on the forum there is a post made by me about where to get a Billet Grille from. I know full well where I can get one from. But how do I know its going to be any good if i order the first one i see. The reason we have the forum is to get other peoples opinions on things like this.

Sorry just needed to get that out.
:confused: :confused:

Al - take a look at Celly's feature truck - i think they look quite nice and not too flashy (like mine!)

BuffaloXplorer said:
Al - take a look at Celly's feature truck - i think they look quite nice and not too flashy (like mine!)

The reason I decided on Testors and Nightshades was that too many of the Altezzas out there are just too fugly and just don't look right on an Ex (beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course). That's not to say that some aren't OK, but overall I wasn't impressed with most of them, especially when I saw a Sport like mine one day with a set and they looked terrible. The fact that most online retailers wanted about $40 to ship them to Canada turned me off. It was actually on another site where I learned about tinting. It definitely takes a little time to do them, but I'm pleased with the results. They're not perfect, but I much prefer them to stockers and Altezzas. Cost me a lot less $$$ than aftermarket as well.

aldive- people here gave you many good options and now its YOUR decision on what you like......if everyone thinks something looks like crap but you like it, thats all that matters.

SmokeGrinder- whats up havent seen you since that thread about grinding smoke with an upper double frammis, man i can go for a smoke cake right now drizzled with alittle tree sap over a nice bed of warm rice..... :p

off-road97Xplor said:
aldive- people here gave you many good options and now its YOUR decision on what you like......if everyone thinks something looks like crap but you like it, thats all that matters.

Well said.

Hi Al,
The first page of my cardomain site has 3 pictures of my altezza tails. As has been said before, it's all in the eye of the beholder, I think the testors trick is sweet, but it's not my style, I prefer the aftermarket lights. I got mine off of ebay, they are the same as this auction....... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7943204924&category=33716
Another type that is also on ebay is this style ...... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7943867987&category=33716
The two links I provided are for the "carbon fiber" look, however these same style lights also come in black or chrome, so depending upon the color of your friends explorer, she has several choices.
Good Luck in the search.

RyanExplr01 said:
Will all those lights fit a XLT ?

All Explorers used the same tails from 98-01 (except the '01 Sport which got a makeover before the 4-doors got a major overhaul in '02). You have an 01 XLT which means you'd be able to use any tail light designed for those years.

celly said:
All Explorers used the same tails from 98-01 (except the '01 Sport which got a makeover before the 4-doors got a major overhaul in '02). You have an 01 XLT which means you'd be able to use any tail light designed for those years.

Now what about when I'm looking for other parts like on ebay could I just type in Ford Explorer and not XLT and those parts will fit or does the XLT matter ??

To reiterate, XLT=XLS=Sport=Limited=Eddie Bauer with respect to Explorer tail lights between 98-00. All all the same (except Sport) for '01.

For many other parts, you're pretty much the same. It all depends on your engine (OHV 4.0 V6 vs. SOHC 4.0 V6 vs 5.0 V8). The Sport is 10" shorter than the 4-doors, so some parts are different.

Chances are, your engine is 4.0 SOHC if 4X4 or 2X4 and it's 5.0 V8 if AWD.

For the most part, XLT is just a trim package. Mechanically the XLT is similar to other Explorers.

I have the all clear tailights with led bulbs and I think it looks really good. I gotta get some pics for you of them lit up.

Back