Are T Cases Interchangeable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are T Cases Interchangeable?

texican

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
New here and I've searched a while but haven't found another thread on my exact situation. I'm a Texan currently living in Cozumel, Mexico. My friend down here has a 96 Explorer XLT 4WD (part time electric 4WD). He needed a new transfer case and had me help get him get a used one from the states. I called a Ford dealer back in Austin to see which case I needed to order from Woodfins (no longer available from Ford as I'm sure you know). Gave the parts guy the VIN and told me I needed the TC with part number F57A 7A 195 CA so that's what I ordered ($350). My friend also paid an extra $250 to get it shipped down here. Now that it's here we are seeing that his Explorer actually has the F77A 7A 195 GA and not the CA that I ordered him. (I was just too dumb to go look under the truck for myself to see the part number before ordering) Unfortunately we can't afford to ship this one back or order another and have it shipped. I read a thread that mentioned that they were the same TC other than the connection to the front drive shaft.
Question 1: Are the F77...GA and F57...CA the same other than this connection (GA has a Flange and CA has a Yoke).

Question 2: Can I replace his GA with the CA and just find a front drive shaft from another Explorer that ties into the CA's Yoke?

Question 3: Are all the front drive shafts from this era (95-97ish) the same length?

Bottom line, I just want to help the guy out since I messed up. Can this be done????

BTW this is Mexico so even if it has to be rigged up a little to work that is fine (i.e. I've read there may be a speed sensor issue with this change)

I'm no mechanic... and the ones on this island are not exactly geniuses so any detail or pics you can add to your reply would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys in advance...

I think it will work ok, if the VSS location matches up and both have the Control Trac Hall Effect sensors. But count the splines too. At least you have a spare now, so you can get him running but you may have to split them open and do some organ transplants.

Back