• Register Today It's free!

ATTN: 2wd off roaders

explorer4x493

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited 4x4 V8
How many out there are "two wheelin" the rough stough? I'm lowered right now but i still can't get over my hearts desire to "off road". I used to have a '93 4x4, and loved it and still miss the 4x4 option. I just loved knowing that i had it "in case".

But anyways to the point. I want to possibly lift my 2wd, and was wondering what all it takes to be able to do alright (for being two wheel drive of course). I figure i will need to get an arb locker for the rear. But what kind of lifts are out there for my year?

If lifting it is not worth it to me then give me some cool ideas on what to do to the only vehicle i have. I want it to be noticed and unlike most others. (I don't want to say "any" because i know alot of you will have what i have), but at least not where i live. So anyways any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are many many many many threads on this board pertaining to late model lifts. Short rundown for a 2wd: TT, shackles, addaleaf, new leafs, front spindles, rear SOA, 4" suspension..........

There are actually quite a few options available, and most are fairly easy and inexpensive.

I have 2.25" worth of TT in the front and various spring mods in the rear. 33x12.5" tires. I have new front flared fenders sitting in the garage waiting to be put on, as the tires rub on the stock fenders. I have an Eaton posi in the rear for traction, and 350+ lb-ft of torque to make up for the lack of low range.

2235splat3.jpg

2235splat2.jpg

The easiest way to lift your X would be to do the TT/ shackle route and get aprox. a 2" lift. With that you could easily clear 31" tires. If you want to go higher you can do a 2" or 3" body lift.

I am clearing a 31" tire without a lift and no rubbing, I am going to 32 or 33" tires after I get some new wheels and do the TT & SL. But I do have a Sport Trac.

Alright cool. I just undid my TT lowering and cranked those bad boys back up as far as i could go. Now I think I'm going to get the Warrior Shackle 153's. Sound good? Could i fit 31's? 32's? What kind of rubbing would I see?
Remember this is all being done to a limited so i'm not really in the mood to trim anything....Thanks

Well, I wouldn't crank the torsion bars as high as they will go; use them to even the front with the rear. The more you crank the torsion bars, the firmer the ride and the less flex you have. So get the shackles and maybe an addaleaf, then make the front the same height as the rear. You'll be able to fit 31s, 32s might fit but probably wont without trimming.

Back