baumann engineering shift kit install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

baumann engineering shift kit install

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
who has done this? what will i need to do it myself? (could be tough since i don't really have access to a garage right now at school) how much would install cost at a transmission shop? what should i expect in performance difference with this added as oppposed to the "reprogramming" my hypertech does?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done it.
Don't use firmness 1 or 2, try setting 3.
Get 10 qts of trans fluid to refill with.
All you need are basic hand tools and a drill....the kit comes with the bits you need.

Instructions are great, very complete.
Takes about 3 or 4 hours if your real **** and go slow (4R70W)

valvebody2smll.jpg

i plan on this myself, to use in conjunction with my B&M electronic shift. figure ill do mine myself, so thanks for the headzup frank. BTW, why only use setting 3?

Hmmmmm....let's take a look at your Avitar, shall we Jimbo? That says it all.
I'll assume you don't wan't any sloppy shifts.....
If I recall, it gives you choices from 1 to 5 for firmness. The description for level 5 is something like "does nothing for everyday driving performance, other than punish the passengers" "Do not use on the street" BTW - Call them up if you want....I did. If you get the old man on the phone, you'll hear more about transmisssions than you want to know!
I ordered my kit from Steeda in Florida.
I did level 2, and with no mods to my motor, it is a little too soft - it still slips too much on the 1-2 shift for me. If I had 450HP, I don't think it would scratch going into 2nd on level 2...... Now I gotta drop the pan and re-do it.
The neat thing with the Baumann kit is that each shift point is customizeable.
I'm doing stage 3 on the 1-2, and stage 2 on the 2-3, and 3-4.

The thing that tripped me out was all the tranz fluid to refill. I made 4 different trips to Pep Boys to buy fluid........."what? it's not full yet!?!!?"

ahhh..... stage three it will be then. thanx.

what about Stage 4? Is that pretty harsh? I really like a real hard shift, i have the B&M thingy, and it is great, but more is better. Would a setup of

1-2 Shift: Level 4 be too much

Also, how is for the tranny? does it help or hurt it in any way?

you drink coffee on the way to work?

not any more......

It's a personal thing.
Remember:
You can always increse firmness later, but after you do you can't "un-drill" the passages to get back to where you were....

Dead Link Removed

XLT_66- you will already have the B&M controller, why risk it? all you have to do is set the baumann one at a "livable" setting (as Frank recommended, stage 3) and then you can firm it up with the B&M. with B&M on stock setting, you will have just a stage 3 baumann, then you can flick the B&M on 2 or 3 when you want to chirp the tires in any gear.

My shift stages

I am thinking i will go with stage 4 in the 1-2 shift, and stage 3 for eveything else. I plan on going to the track a few times but i do plan on using my vehicle as a daily driver too. I dont normally have alot of other pasengers in my car but i dont want to beat the heck out of myself either. but the stock 1-2 shift is pretty weak for what i want so i really want to firm that up and then i am thinking stage 3 will suffice for the others.

i installed stage 4 on both the 1-2 and the 2-3 shifts. not as harsh as i was expecting. it doesnt "chirp", but then again my Nitto's dont howl until you get them hot so i imagine i am loosing a tad bit of tread on each gear change. i run the B&M on stock most of the time, and on #2 setting when i feel like putting knots on passenger's heads.

i think level 4 is liveable. but then again, its all what you're used to. i would imagine most wont like level 4. if you are at all wondering which level you want, start with 3. if its not enough, 4 can be had quite easily.

for you rocket, i would go 4 on everything.;)

HEHEHE ok that is all the motivation i need. I will go level 4 for all shifts. The hardest part about picking the shift stages is that other peoples hard shift is another persons normal. But since i got the nod from ya after you already have yours to stage 4 i will go with 4 in all shifts. Thanks

Plus also if i want to have the shifts be not that killer hard when i do have passengers i can just manipulate the gas a little and it should shift a little softer.

Originally posted by james t
its all what you're used to. i would imagine most wont like level 4.
just remember, i warned you. even though i dont think its that bad, that is totally my opinion alone. it might be terrible to you. just to give you and idea, im positive i could put my stock wheels on right now and it would chirp every gear.

Hey james that is fine with me. You need not state a disclaimer as i know i am ultimately responsible for my car and the coffee i spill in my lap thereafter. lol. I just wanted an outside racers opinion and i got it. I do plan on going with stage 4 in all shifts. I was originally going to go with 4 anyways so now i pretty much just stuck to my plan. besides i am running 9" wide tires so i wont be breaking loose as easily as the stockers do. I recently put the stocks back on and now even when i try not to i still squeal the heck out of them. I am used to about 2 1/2" more rubber on each of the back tires which makes a big difference. But the 9"ers will be going back on here in a few weeks again. Thanks again for the input.

I installed mine and its really no big deal. A hint though: I used a punch and hammer and put a hole in my tranny pan and let the oil drain... then drilled a hole and brazed in a drain plug.....

Also while its apart install a new filter also.

I went stage 4 for everything.... made a big difference and I really like it... however I would not mind stage 5 i think........

yea, i forgot to mention, if you do nothing else at least put a drain plug on the tranny pan. takes about 3 minutes to do, and you will thank yourself for doing it from now on.

Does anyone know which Buamann shift kit settings are similar to the B&M Electronic Shift Kit stage 1 and stage 2 settings?

i would guess stage one. the only thing the B&M controller does IMHO is make the tranny shift the way it should have from the factory. not that im dogging it, its worth the $30, but it d@mn sure doesnt compare to a real shift kit.

hey, this thread is kind of old... i just noticed its been getting new posts.

the update is that i am now on stage III all the way through and i love it. it is the third best mod i've done thus far, and it is more than worth the 70 it cost me (i got lucky) and for that matter worth at well over the actual retail price plus paying a shop to do it. if you don't have one yet, get one.

also, maybe i'm a wimp but stage III is plenty for me. it doesn't feel loose anywhere and it jumps ahead rather than falling behind when racing, but it isn't very harsh when i'm careful. my mom and girlfriend (i know i shouldn't let them drive) both drive the truck sometimes and they notice it, but it doesn't bother them too much. actually i guess i must be a wimp if i don't want it harsher than my freakin mom. i don't think i would want to go past stage three until i got past 300 hp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back