• Register Today It's free!

Baumann Install

tonga3

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklin Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 exp. EB 5.0
Hey Guys, I am installing a Baumann shift kit this weekend and was wondering if some of you could give me some ideas on which level to go with. I'm looking for a definate improvement in shift firmness but if I'm driving in the snow I don't want to have it break loose on every shift. Anybody have some sugestions?

Thanks in advance

Andy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stage 3 on all shifts. i went stage 4 and love it, but if you're not carefull in ice i could see it getting squirelly reall quick (dont really know, we dont have snow here). understand, it shifts harder the more you're on the pedal, so driving easy it should shift great on stage 3 without getting away from you in low traction situations.

hunt down FrankRizzo and ask him his opinion. he ran stage 3 in his. i believe he started out on 2 but said that wasnt enough.

James.. I drive in the snow every winter.. do you think the awd will keep me safe if i do stage 4? or should i just do 3?

for offroad/winter crap i would just go stage 3 on all shifts. remember-

you can go up in stages, but you can never come back down (unless you plan on buying a new valvebody). so, start off on what you think you want and go to the next level if its not to your liking. you can go from stage 3 to stage 4. you cant go from stage 4 to stage 3.

Thanks for the info. I was planning on stage three and just kinda wanted someone else to tell me. Any tips on the install, or is it pretty straight forward if I reas the instructions?

easy as pie. the instructions are some of the best ive ever seen. install a drain plug in the tranny pan while you have it off. well worth it later on down the road.

I have the stage 3 in my Ranger. It is good for the track and poor for the daily commute. I would like stage 4 for the track, as I am still unhappy with the 1-2 shift. During my daily commut, it is fine on the way in, but when I sit in stop and go traffic on the highway for 10 miles, it sucks really bad. Even at partial throttle, it slamms 1-2. I would go with level 2 on the 1-2 and 3 or four for 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. If you don't like the 1-2, drain the oil with the drain plug, which you should definitely add, and up to #3.

Just my $0.02

Where is everyone ordering their kits from? Straight from Baumann? I can't find them anywhere on the net (on a decent site like jegs/summit/etc)

Originally posted by section525
Where is everyone ordering their kits from? Straight from Baumann? I can't find them anywhere on the net (on a decent site like jegs/summit/etc)

Yep, you have to order it straight from Baumann. And you have to call them up as well, can't order online.

Baumann Engineering

For those with the Baumann shift kit -- do you guys experience a very very firm downshift? Because at times, (mostly when the truck has been driven for a long time), it seems that the downshift from 4-3 or 3-2 or 2-1 is very very firm... almost to the point where I hear it and I feel it. When installing the shift kit, I did firm up the 4-3 downshift, but now, even when I'm braking from 30 mph to 5 mph, I hear and feel the hard downshift. Not exactly sure how to describe it, but the downshift is definitely noticeable. Anyone experience something like it?

Back