• Register Today It's free!

Broken Lumbar Adjuster

Flying68

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ex Ownr 12 Explr Lmtd AWD
So the lumbar adjuster broke on me last night as I was readjusting myself in the seat and must have pushed back too hard. Got a look under the seat cover and appears to have broken the left side spring and the plastic where the spring and adjuster cable attach. Called the dealer this morning and they have no clue how long or how much to replace it, as they have never done it before and it apparently did not show up under a standard job code. So I guess I will tackle it myself.

So the question is has anyone done this before, or removed the seat / seat cover for any other reason? Have any diagrams or shop procedures that would help? I had to replace a seat frame component in our old Murano, but I had a copy of the shop manual and it didn't have a side airbag in it either, nor did I actually have to remove the seat cover.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.
JJpLkWSUrgvq8oDXh8daZYft1nQ05HeUXUuw=w1280-h724-no.jpg

qkpE9jrQnZszCeQ_SllJLzvysHhnbL04oLHA=w1280-h724-no.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it really wasn't that hard to replace once I got the seat out and the seat cover removed. Took me a few hours, but I spent some time to clean that area under the seat and check under the carpets for loose change (found a penny). All memory settings were retained which was nice, just had to reset all the dash settings, but all the radio, seating, nav, and phone items were retained despite having the battery disconnected the whole time. Next job will be to replace shocks and struts, but I think I will wait until it isn't 100° outside. I about passed out from the heat in the garage.

Good to hear about a successful DIY, which keeps a good amount of money in your pocket; had you get the dealership or shop tackle it.

Good to hear about a successful DIY, which keeps a good amount of money in your pocket; had you get the dealership or shop tackle it.
I originally called the dealer for an estimate, and they didn't even have a clue as to how much. No one had done one before and there wasn't a standard job code for it. I bought an service manual DVD off of ebay which made it easier.

@Flying68, do you think you could post a little more detail on this DIY? The lumbar support broke in my Explorer the other night and I'm having a hard time with it. I'm going to need to repair this. How do you remove the seat cover? Any special tricks? Thanks in advance!

@Flying68, do you think you could post a little more detail on this DIY? The lumbar support broke in my Explorer the other night and I'm having a hard time with it. I'm going to need to repair this. How do you remove the seat cover? Any special tricks? Thanks in advance!
I found this but it doesn't really show how to remove the seat covers. Not sure if it will be at all helpful.

Peter

Had this happen on my Flex twice, exact same part by the looks of it. On mine their was a kinda slot and grove clip that ran the full bottom of the top seat cover (where the back support and seat bottom met) I was able to undo it, then was able to pull the seat cover up just enough to change it, did not need to take the seat out or apart. Not sure if it applies to the Explorer.

Unbolt the seats before removing the negative from the battery (you can't get to the bolts otherwise). Disconnect the negative battery cable and let sit for 15 minutes or so before disconnecting the wire harness plugs below the seat (seat airbags). You have to remove the seat back from the base in order to pull the seat cover up, plus it makes it a heck of a lot easier to do. The seat cover is held in place by plastic j-channels and a couple rows of hog rings. The plastic can be hard to disconnect, but just use a flat head screw driver, putty knife, or body tool. You don't have to remove the cover completely, just get it high enough to remove the ventilated seat components and the lumbar adjuster. Just take your time and you will be fine. Also try to do it in the cool, I did it in my garage while it was 100° outside and that was brutal. Also take pictures of as you disassemble things to make sure you get all the pieces back together correctly, I forgot to and the manual doesn't have pictures or diagrams for that part. Took me a bit to remember how everything fit back together (a little trial and error).

I will see if I can copy and paste the steps from manual later.

Seat Backrest

Removal

NOTICE: To prevent system failure, carry out the OCS reset when a front passenger seat cushion is disassembled, a new trim cover is installed or an OCS service kit is installed. Use scan tool to carry out the OCS reset command.

NOTE: For parts identification and location, refer to Seat — Exploded View, Front .

1. Remove the seat. Refer to Seat .
2. Detach the carpet flap toe-kick retainers from under the seat.
1. Separate the 3 J-clips from the seat cushion frame.
2. Position the carpet toe-kick upward and remove the 2 push pin retainers.​
3. Remove the scrivet and push pin retainer from the recliner cover.
4. Remove the recliner cover.
1. Slide the recliner cover toward the front of the seat.​
5. Remove the inboard recliner inner cover.
6. If equipped, remove the manual recline handle.
1. Remove the clip and slide the handle off the shaft.​
7. For manual seats, remove the seat switch delete cover.
1. Insert a flat-blade screwdriver between the seat cushion and cushion side shield, at the locations shown, and release the retaining tabs.​
8. For power seats, remove the power seat switch. Refer to Seat Control Switch .
9. Remove the cushion side shield rear inner bolt.
10. Remove the cushion side shield.
1. Remove the screws at the front, center and rear of the cushion side shield.
2. Pull outward and release the 2 retaining clips.​
11. Remove the 2 outboard cushion cover J-clips.
12. If equipped, remove the manual lumbar cable.
1. Detach the manual lumbar cable retainer.
2. Pull the manual lumbar cable outward.
3. Release the manual lumbar cable from the manual lumbar adjuster.​
13. Remove the 2 J-clips from the rear of the cushion cover.
14. NOTE: Note J-clip strap routing for installation.
Remove the outboard cushion cover J-clip and strap from the backrest frame.​
15. NOTE: Note wire harness routing for installation.
NOTE: Vehicle with a Thermo-Electric Device (TED) shown, all others similar.
Release the side air bag module electrical connector and wire harness retainers under the seat.​
16. Disconnect the side air bag module electrical connector.
1. Slide the locking clip back.
2. Push the tab in and disconnect the electrical connector.​
17. NOTE: Note wire harness routing for installation.
If equipped, disconnect the backrest electrical connector and release the wire harness retainers attached under the seat.​
18. Remove the 4 recliner-to-seat track bolts.
19. Position the seat backrest rearward and detach the 2 J-clips form the cushion cover.
20. NOTE: Note wire harness routing for installation.
Remove the backrest assembly
1. Route the wire harnesses through the holes in the carpet flap toe-kick.​

Installation
1. Route the wire harnesses through the holes in the carpet flap toe-kick.
2. Position the seat backrest onto the seat track and attach the 2 J-clips onto the cushion cover.
3. Install, but do not tighten, the 4 recliner-to-seat track bolts by hand.
1. If equipped, route the manual lumbar cable between the backrest and cushion and to the inside of the recliner.​
4. Tighten the 4 passenger seat recliner-to-seat track bolts in the following sequence:
1. Tighten the rear outboard bolt to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft).
2. Tighten the rear inboard bolt to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft).
3. Tighten the front inboard bolt to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft).
4. Tighten the front outboard bolt to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft).​
5. Tighten the 4 drivers seat recliner-to-seat track bolts in the following sequence:
1. Tighten the rear outboard bolt to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft).
2. Tighten the rear inboard bolt to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft).
3. Tighten the front inboard bolt to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft).
4. Tighten the front outboard bolt to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft).​
6. If equipped, connect the backrest electrical connector and attach the wire harness retainers under the seat.
7. Connect the side air bag module electrical connector.
8. Install the side air bag module electrical connector and wire harness retainers under the seat.
9. NOTE: Make sure the outboard cushion cover strap is routed below the backrest recliner spring mount.
Attach the outboard cushion cover J-clip and strap onto the backrest frame.​
10. If equipped, install the manual lumbar cable in the following sequence:
1. Position the manual lumbar cable into the adjuster.
2. Position the manual lumbar cable cover into the adjuster.
3. Install the manual lumbar cable retainer.​
11. Install the 2 outboard side cushion cover J-clips.
12. Install the cushion side shield in the following sequence:
1. Return all retaining clips back to the cushion side shield before installing the shield.
2. Align and attach the retaining clips
3. Install the screws at the front, center and rear of the cushion side shield.​
13. Install the cushion side shield rear inner bolt.
14. For power seats, install the power seat switch. Refer to Seat Control Switch .
15. For manual seats, install the seat switch delete cover.
16. If equipped, install the manual recline handle.
17. Install the inboard recliner inner cover.
18. Slide the recliner cover into position and install the scrivet and push pin retainer.
19. Install the carpet flap toe-kick retainers under the seat.
1. Attach the 3 J-clips onto the seat cushion frame.
2. Install the 2 push pin retainers.​
20. Install the seat. Refer to Seat . If a passenger seat was serviced, do not carry out the prove out within the repower procedure, continue to the next step.
21. WARNING: Occupant Classification System (OCS) parts are calibrated as an assembly and must only be replaced in the configuration they are sold. Never separate parts of an assembly. Failure to follow this instruction may result in incorrect operation of the passenger airbag and increases the risk of serious personal injury or death in a crash.
WARNING: Make sure the front passenger seat repair is complete, the seat and all attached components (head restraint, seat side shield, etc.) are correctly assembled, and the seat is correctly installed to the vehicle before using System Reset to rezero the seat weight. Failure to follow these instructions may result in incorrect operation of the occupant classification system (OCS) and increases the risk of serious personal injury or death in a crash.
NOTICE: To prevent system failure, take the following precautions before carrying out the OCS system reset:

· Make sure the voltage to the OCSM is greater than 8 volts and less than 18 volts.
· Make sure the OCS is not below 6°C (42.8°F) or above 36°C (96.7°F) when initiating the OCS reset process. If the vehicle has been exposed to extreme cold or hot temperatures, the vehicle must be exposed and kept at a temperature between 6° C (42.8°F) to 36°C (96.7°F) for a minimum of 30 minutes.
· Make sure nothing is present on the passenger seat before and during the OCS reset process.
· Prior to carrying out the OCS reset, make sure a minimum of 8 seconds has elapsed after cycling the ignition switch on.
If a passenger seat has been serviced, use a scan tool to carry out the OCS reset.​
22. If the first system reset attempt was unsuccessful, carry out a thorough visual inspection of the following and repair any concerns found.
1. OCS connector and wiring for damage
2. Pressure sensor hose for kinks and/or damage
3. Seat-related wiring harness and body wiring harness terminals and connectors for damage​
23. NOTE: Cycle the ignition switch after the OCS reset.
Carry out a second OCS reset. If the second attempt is unsuccessful, install a new OCS service kit.​
24. Prove out the SRS: Turn the ignition from ON to OFF. Wait 10 seconds, then turn the ignition back to ON and monitor the air bag warning indicator with the air bag modules installed. The air bag warning indicator illuminates continuously for approximately 6 seconds and then turns off. If a SRS fault is present, the air bag warning indicator will:
1. fail to light.
2. remain lit continuously.
3. flash.
4. The flashing might not occur until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition has been turned from OFF to ON. This is the time required for the RCM to complete the testing of the SRS. If the air bag warning indicator is inoperative and a SRS fault exists, a chime sounds in a pattern of 5 sets of 5 beeps. If this occurs, diagnose and repair the air bag warning indicator and any SRS faults.​

Lumbar Assembly — Power

Removal
NOTE:
For parts identification and location, refer to Seat — Exploded View, Front .
1. Remove the seat backrest. Refer to Seat Backrest .
2. NOTE: Note wire harness routing for installation.
Disengage the backrest cover lower J-clips and route the wire harnesses out of the holes in the backrest cover.​
3. On each side of the backrest, separate the backrest cover hook-and-loop strips.
4. NOTICE: Use care when separating the backrest cover from the hook-and-loop strip, or the hook-and-loop strip can be torn from the backrest foam pad.
Separate the backrest cover hook-and-loop strips from the backrest foam pad and position the backrest cover up to the first row of hog rings.​
5. Remove the first row of hog rings.
6. Position the backrest cover up to the second row of hog rings.
7. If equipped, disconnect the backrest TED electrical connector and disengage the pin-type retainer.
8. Remove the power lumbar.
· Disconnect the motor and disengage the retaining clips.​

Installation
1. if equipped, position the TED duct between the power lumbar and cable.
2. Install the power lumbar retaining clips to backrest frame and connect the power lumbar motor.
3. If equipped, connect the backrest TED electrical connector and engage the pin-type retainer.
4. Position the backrest cover down and install new first row hog rings.
5. Roll the backrest cover down and attach the hook-and-loop strips.
6. Route the wire harnesses through the holes in the backrest cover and engage the lower J-clips.
7. Install the backrest cover hook-and-loop strips on each side of the backrest.
8. Install the seat backrest. Refer to Seat Backrest .

I posted the relevant instructions above (minus the pictures). Take your time and don't force anything, if something isn't coming apart you are missing a fastener. Have extra body push pin type fasteners in case you break one (there are at least two that you will need to remove). Also be careful with the side airbag in the seat, just make sure the plastic flap is smooth as you pull the cover back down.

Back